Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need a SRO mount for 1911/2011 slide

What the title says.  Trying to find something like the AOS plate, but without the BUIS.  Kinda figured someone would be making them by now, but can't find anything other than CHPWS for Stuccato (junk), AOS for Prodigy and EGW dovetail mounts.  May end up using an AOS plate with the sight cut off and the whole thing moved back.  Or I can probably make one of the EGW plates work if I have to.

Check out the Atlas Gunworks Plates. They also provide the plate mount cut specs for the slide if you reach out to them directly.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Hadn't see that before.  But, looking at it, I'm not too hot on the design because there doesn't appear to be anything on the bottom side to index it to the slide.  It's just the two set screws holding it in place.  I also don't need that chunk of material at the front of the pate.  It's probably easier to modify one of the EGW plates vs. that one.  And about half the price.

There are two upward protruding pins as well as the front ledge on the slide which are the primary items which retain the plate to the slide. The screws used to mount the plate to the slide are 5-40 thread so those are pretty beefy as well. I have been using these Atlas plates for quite a while now and have had ZERO issues with them coming loose or shifting around.

No actual experience behind the gun with the Atlas plate, but I have spent a fair amount of time machining a few slides to accept them. The locating pegs are pretty stout, but I still prefer a trapped plate and think the half dovetail of the AOS is one of the better designs out there. Just my opinion, I have no hard miles to back it up.

Also worth noting: Atlas plates are intended to line up with a stopped tri-top. 

instasize_240528215602.thumb.jpg.19be4d6db644cc76f6bb7e3ebe5eab04.jpginstasize_240528215538.thumb.jpg.58da98b9b4c8af0495756959097053eb.jpg

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the photos and info.  If I use the Atlas plate, I'm going to remove the tri-top part at the front and the sight mount at the rear.  Don't really need either.  And that way I should have some room to leave material at the rear for the plate to drop into.  Also considering the AOS plate, as I already have a spare for SRO.  But if I remove the rear sight on that and move the whole thing back, I'm probably going to lose the dovetail.  Third option is an EGW mount with LPA dovetail cut.  Only thing that's lacking is a set screw or two which is a simple fix.  Seems like that would be very secure and the best of the three. 

Edited by ltdmstr
font size

Are you willing to cut the slide for a one-off plate?

If so, the EGW RMR/SRO blank ($50) looks like a solid starting place. Fusion has a standard base plate on sale for $40 that could be cut down. Can’t speak to the quality... I’ve also seen guys successfully use MOS plates, factory or improved aftermarket offerings.

Do you care how deep the optic sits in the slide?

Using a blad, tri-topped Warwick slide.  So, it's going to be a one-off no matter which plate I choose.  Looked at the EGW blank for SRO.  Decided to go with the one that has the LPA dovetail.  Just going to machine a pocket, then the dovetail, and once it's fit, I'll add a set screw or two.  Plate will be locked fore/aft by the slide, plus there's the dovetail.  Pretty sure that'll be adequate.  This allows me to go as deep as I want, and also avoid having the optic overhang the breach face.

Posted (edited)

By one-off, I meant something other than an off the shelf plate that would allow you to easily change optics in the future.

I suspect the radius on the front of the plate when combined with the 1 piece EGW dovetail mount and pocket will give you some grief.

A two piece plate with removable dovetail and fasteners that are accessed from the top (IE UTG Super Slim RMR mount kinda deal) could work.

It all seems like a bit of a compromise since you are starting with a new slide.

Edited by Cam73

I think Limcat has a nice plate system.  IDK if they cut slides for other people though.

Dawson's system used on the Stacattos works and you can leave / saw the rear sight off, but you'd have to get someone else to cut it for you since they don't.

1 hour ago, Cam73 said:

By one-off, I meant something other than an off the shelf plate that would allow you to easily change optics in the future.

I suspect the radius on the front of the plate when combined with the 1 piece EGW dovetail mount and pocket will give you some grief.

Prob gonna modify the plate no mater what.  But, if I work it out, I can always buy more plates and do the same mod for spares or different optics.  Not sure why, but was expecting the EGW plate to be square front and back.  Guess I'll figure it out when I get the plate.  Starting to think of just making my own.  But was hoping not to have to do that due to lack of time (as in too many other projects).

9 minutes ago, shred said:

think Limcat has a nice plate system.  IDK if they cut slides for other people though.

I'll take a look.  Thanks.

5 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

Prob gonna modify the plate no mater what.  But, if I work it out, I can always buy more plates and do the same mod for spares or different optics.  Not sure why, but was expecting the EGW plate to be square front and back.  Guess I'll figure it out when I get the plate.  Starting to think of just making my own.  But was hoping not to have to do that due to lack of time (as in too many other projects).

I hear you there. Went down this same road awhile back and found there really was no single plate that checked all the boxes. There are a handful of builders making their own, but every one I asked wouldn't let one go without some kind of credentials or an expensive pistol attached to it.

20 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Third option is an EGW mount with LPA dovetail cut.  Only thing that's lacking is a set screw or two which is a simple fix.  Seems like that would be very secure and the best of the three. 

It is a press fit, unless you remove material.  You don't need the set screws unless you plan on whacking it with a large hammer.  To make installation easier, you can remove a tad from the bottom of the dovetail, then add set screws to make sure it stays in place.  I went that route because the dot height is almost identical to my Open pistols.

Well, the LPA style plate isn't what I expected.  I could make it work, but it's not worth the hassle.  Going to exchange it for the universal/blank plate which looks like a better starting point.

Are you going to mill the 3" (don't quote me) radius on the front wall of the pocket?

The crowd seems divided over the requirement to trap the optic in addition to recoil posts/bosses. Not real common on the factory plates, but there are some aftermarket plates out there with the optic's front radius cut into a raised shoulder. Mostly MOS style.

That EGW blank looks to be the exact length of the RMR/SRO footprint.

Yes, I'm planning to machine a pocket in the slide so it drops straight down.  But I'm not sure how I'm going to do that.  Probably going have to be a bit creative as I'm working on a small manual mill with limited tooling.

19 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Yes, I'm planning to machine a pocket in the slide so it drops straight down.  But I'm not sure how I'm going to do that.  Probably going have to be a bit creative as I'm working on a small manual mill with limited tooling.

A plate holding the slide pivoting about a shoulder bolt screwed into a threaded 1-2-3 block (or second plate) in the vise would make for a low cost option. 

5 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

If your starting with a bald slide it should be Just wide enough to direct mill the RMR pattern and skip the plat all together.

The slide already being tri-topped might make things interesting.

For reference, I used one of the “extra thick” tri-topped Warwick slides (Shooter’s was selling them awhile back) milled it for an AOS plate (rmr) and a good part of the optic mounting screw holes on the underside of the plate are exposed when installed. That said, the slide has .030” deep panel cuts in that area.

2 hours ago, Cam73 said:

A plate holding the slide pivoting about a shoulder bolt screwed into a threaded 1-2-3 block (or second plate) in the vise would make for a low cost option. 

I may give that a try.  Thanks for the suggestion.