Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Firing pin of my Bul Armory BL9 PCC broke in 2 pieces :-(

Yesterday during the PCC-LVR Fundamental Technique Mode Training my Bul Armory BL9 PCC in 9mm malfunctioned. Currently have around 2500 rounds on it. The round chambered, but I wasn't able to pull the trigger and fire a shot any more. I field stripped the PCC-LVR and noticed a small piece of steel and a spring inside the trigger mechanism. After review it became clear that the spring and the steel piece were from the firing pin system. The firing pin rod itself was still in the BCG. End of training 😞 Luckily I still had a spare firing pin and spring at home. I installed everything and test fired the PCC-LVR at the range today: all clear! I researched broken firing pins on AR-9 type guns, and to my surprise it appears to be a very known issue. A common referenced cause are the Hiperfire triggers, that include strong springs putting alot of force/energy onto the firing pin. Coincidentally I also have a Hiperfire Eclipse trigger group on my PCC-LVR. Lesson learned: keep a spare firing pin and spring in the range bag ...

BA PIN.jpg

So look at the back of the firing pin where the hammer contacts it and you will probably see that the hammer was hitting on the edge. 
If that is the case then you need to taper that end of the firing pin so the contact point is about 1/8" in the center of the firing pin. By doing this the force of the hammer hits straight on the firing pin instead of on the edge where it puts an upward stress on the firing pin. 

Hope this helps!

2 hours ago, Don_B said:

So look at the back of the firing pin where the hammer contacts it and you will probably see that the hammer was hitting on the edge. 
If that is the case then you need to taper that end of the firing pin so the contact point is about 1/8" in the center of the firing pin. By doing this the force of the hammer hits straight on the firing pin instead of on the edge where it puts an upward stress on the firing pin. 

Hope this helps!

Great tip, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, copterdrvr said:

Had two break shooting USPSA matches and I now have an extra bolt in my shooting bag that's ready to be dropped in.

Everyone I know that shoots PCC regularly has broken a firing pin.

Thanks! I now have a spare firing pin in my bag too 😉 

3 hours ago, copterdrvr said:

Had two break shooting USPSA matches and I now have an extra bolt in my shooting bag that's ready to be dropped in.

Everyone I know that shoots PCC regularly has broken a firing pin.

I carry a spare bolt on my belt, if the FP breaks I can pull the takedown pin, dump the bolt in the dirt and slide in the new one. I cut down the “gas key” so the bolts can be removed without touching the charging handle

50 minutes ago, rishii said:

I carry a spare bolt on my belt, if the FP breaks I can pull the takedown pin, dump the bolt in the dirt and slide in the new one. I cut down the “gas key” so the bolts can be removed without touching the charging handle

/S

Right....riiight?? Oo