Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Nelson Custom 22LR Conversion

I recently received my Nelson conversion.  I put it on a Dan Wesson PM9 lower.  The fit is excellent.  Added a nitro fin thumb rest and the grip feels nice.

Based on the spare springs marked 8, 9 and 10 lb, it appears the upper came with the 9 lb installed.

First match:  Started with SK Pistol match.  Recoil minimal but I had several FTF.  I forgot to take my CCI HV rounds but a friend had enough extra Blazer HV lead ammo for the remaining 3 stages.  No FTF.  Gun ran nicely.

I added a comp since I have the threaded barrel.  In retrospect I’m not sure I even need a comp.  We use AMG timers and they are excellent for picking up shots.

I have plenty of HV ammo but I also have a good amount of SK SV.

Should I put in the 8 lb recoil spring when shooting SK standard velocity?

thanks

Ray, congratulations !   Please post some pics.  

Sorry I cannot help with the spring advice.   

Hey Jim, it’s been a minute.  Hope all is well with you.  I’m still dealing with back issues but I’ve managed to get in some matches.  Shooting is best therapy.  

I’ve learned it’s easy to spend money on toys when I’ve got too much inactivity 😁.  I also bought an Sig P320 MaxM.  Venturing into CO’s….hopefully.

Back to Nelson.  It took a while to get it but the machining is superior.  Worth the wait.  Probably need to set a range date and try various ammo with different springs.  I’ve figured out the trick putting the recoil spring in so no big deal now.

The Dan Wesson lower is 9mm.  But the Nelson upper slides over the lower ejector easily.  I also am running the original hammer/main spring which is probably 18 lbs +/-.  I’ll post a pic.  

I run a Nelson on my STI Trojan lower.  The comp has no effect so I removed it.  I also fits on my DW PM9 with no problem.

I run Eley Force.

20240508_133041.jpg

1 hour ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

I run a Nelson on my STI Trojan lower.  The comp has no effect so I removed it.  I also fits on my DW PM9 with no problem.

I run Eley Force.

20240508_133041.jpg

Nice gun.  Do you run the 9 lb spring?

thanks

22 minutes ago, Hoops said:

Nice gun.  Do you run the 9 lb spring?

thanks

IIRC I run the 9 lb spring with the Eley Force, and the 8 pound spring when I shoot my dwindling stash of Eley Contact.

1 hour ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

IIRC I run the 9 lb spring with the Eley Force, and the 8 pound spring when I shoot my dwindling stash of Eley Contact.

Good to know.  I have a case of Contact that I ran in my Black Mamba.  I’ll try it in Nelson with 8 lb.  Thanks

@Hoops If you are running standard velocity ammo, you don't need a comp.  I run SV in my Marvel Unit One and timers have no difficulty picking up the shot.  Up comps are useful if using high velocity ammo.  They do help control Muzzle rise, if that makes a difference to you.  I run the standard 9 lb. recoil spring for CCI SV and Eley Target ammo.  BTW, the Nelson is a derivative of the Marvel.

4 hours ago, zzt said:

@Hoops If you are running standard velocity ammo, you don't need a comp.  I run SV in my Marvel Unit One and timers have no difficulty picking up the shot.  Up comps are useful if using high velocity ammo.  They do help control Muzzle rise, if that makes a difference to you.  I run the standard 9 lb. recoil spring for CCI SV and Eley Target ammo.  BTW, the Nelson is a derivative of the Marvel.

Thanks.  I remembered you had the Marvel (Nelson) and liked it.  I have a match Saturday and plan to use 3 of my favorite ammo types.  6 stage match so enough to get good feedback.  

I have run the 9# spring with CCI SV with the barrel weight, with the comp and without anything.  Functioned flawlessly.  I like using the Barrel weight or comp because of balance for me.  I put BITE grips on my old Caspian frame to feel more like my 2011's.  I did try the Nelson on my Springfield 9mm but would have had to modify all the mags to work with it (known issue).  Norma Match has run well but I bought 10K of CCI SV before prices went up last year.  Good luck shooting.  

I ran 9 lb spring with CCI Mini mag HV last weekend.  Flawless.  I actually picked up some time.  Shooting the 1911 lower is fun.  I really like the setup.  

I did have one issue.  Several times at the unload and show clear there would be a round in the chamber.  Couple of times I shot into the berm to clear it.  Other times I would slingshot the slide and I’m the round would eject.

anyone experience this?

I see it all the time with rimfires. 

Lots of different guns and platforms, especially some Rugers and Buck Marks.

I even see it with the rifles quite often.

It seems to be a common occurrence at matches, so the common "fix" is to shoot it into the berm.

I even saw it a couple weeks ago at PSA Shootout with PCC guns. Haven't seen that before.

Maybe a tiny bit chubby case and a tiny bit tight chamber?

27 minutes ago, Hoops said:

I did have one issue.  Several times at the unload and show clear there would be a round in the chamber.  Couple of times I shot into the berm to clear it.  Other times I would slingshot the slide and I’m the round would eject.

anyone experience this?

Yes.  I had to send it back to Nelson to ream the barrel leade a bit longer.  It was originally reamed for bullseye shooting, not action (target) shooting.  "Chamber options" are a drop-down menu item when you order a conversion. 

The problem is the lead bullet gets jammed into the rifling and won't eject.  If you knock the last round out with a brass rod, you'll see the rifling marks cut into the lead bullet.  It also depends on the length of your rounds ... I was testing only with Eley Force which has a OAL of 1 inch.

This ^^^^^^.  I have the same problem with my Marvel Unit One.  I originally ordered it with the .400" to .499" accuracy at 50 yards guarantee.  I bought it specifically for bullseye.  Now that I've worn out my full race 22s, I shoot it.

If you put your trigger finger on the extractor and push, pull the slide back, the round comes out 9 out of 10 times.  If it doesn't, try it again.  I never have to fire into the berm anymore.  Also, switching from CCI ammo helps.  CCIs are .010" longer than most 22 ammo and engrave more.  You will have fewer problems if you switch to CCI AR Tactical.  Different profile nose.  I have much less of a problem with Eley Target.

I think I’ll call Nelson and have them pull up my order.  I don’t recall doing the chamber option.  My Mamba ejects all casings.

All my carbines are sporter chamber.  I’ve used my reamer to lightly clean out the chamber.  All eject.  

• 4 weeks later...

@zzt in your other post regarding AA1911-22, you mentioned 10# spring for SV and AR Tactical.  The AR round is 1200 fps.  What is your average fps for the SV?

im still tinkering with my Nelson/Marvel.  I’m under assumption that SV would run better with 8#.  I’m planning on running some Ely Contact tomorrow with 8 and 9# springs.

what is your experience with various recoil springs?  I also have a lot of SK ammo I would like to run.  It averages around 1070 fps+\~

@Hoops my reference was to the Marvel Unit One I was/am shooting for SCSA.  The standard recoil spring is a 9 lb. spring intended for SV ammo.  That is what I was running previously.  The Yellow 8 lb. spring can be used for SV, but is best suited to pistol match ammo.  The red, 10 lb. spring is intended for high velocity.  It runs CCI SV fine, it just doesn't eject as far.  It is safer IMO for AR Tactical.  The 10lb. spring is not strong enough the run stuff like Eley Force.  I know Nelson says you can, but you beat the gun up if you try it in the Marvel.  Note:  these spring weights are for the Aluminum slide.  The steel slide requires a 6 lb. spring

Avg. velocity out of the Unit One 5 1/4" barrel is as follows.

CCI 0032 40gr. @1070fps listed, 955fps SD 10.85

Fed Automatch  40gr. @ 1200fps listed, 1085fps SD 10.38.  CCI AR Tactical, about the same but with a higher SD.  Don't have that data at my fingertips.

SK Standard+ 40gr @ 1070? listed, 883fps SD 18.64.  I'd put the 8 in for that.

CCI MiniMag 40gr. @1235fps listed, 1057fps SD 31.29

Edited by zzt

• 4 weeks later...

Just got my Nelson conversion and installed it on my MPA DSP hybrid frame and grip that was setup for LO. Is built very nice and I had the plain top end put on it so I could mill it for a Holosun 507comp. Everything went well and works and now looking forward to a range visit to start breaking it in. Going to shoot still challenge with it with the intention for it to replace my scorpion clone.

Nelson1.jpg

Nelson3.jpg