Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So Much Shooting In The Phillipines

I think the reason is that the Phillipines is one of the few countries in the world that also has a 'gun culture'. Even 'ordinary' citizens can own guns. At least part of the reason for their 'gun culture' has to do with thier history with the US. More pwer to them. It would be great to have a Filipino and Filipina as USPSA Open Nationals champions this year.

Sam

My theories...

As mentioned above I think the US involvement and our experience with "imperialism" with invaders like the Japanese in WWII and the Spanish before that helped foster a "gun culture." Many of the national heroes of the Philipines where in one way or another fought either the Spanish or the Japanese. There is a statue on my hometown's square of a homegrown guerrilla. And what better way is there to fight an invader than with a gun?

Also pistols and "real" firearms in general are status symbols (well at least where I come from up north). So when a lot of the Filipinos come to States and get relatively well paying jobs they of course get the status symbols ...guns ...watches ...Toyotas :D, etc.

We are very family oriented and somewhat clannish --- there are over 100 different languages/dialects spoken in the Philipines. When we come here to the States (like all immigrants) we tend to congregate together and it is very likely that a Filipino immigrant will stay with an established (in the country) uncle/cousins/sibling when they come to the States. I believe all this accentuates our tendencies to be family/countrymen oriented.

So say you have an uncle or cousin or whatever who is a shooter, there is a higher chance that you too would get into shooting and guns in general. Then you in turn would introduce the activity to your nephews, nieces, sons, daughters, etc. It all snowballs. I wouldn't be surprised if a good percentage of the Filipino shooters you see on the range are related by blood.

And also don't forget all those kidnapping threats and whatnots. That's what got my dad into shooting in the first place because someone was trying to extort money from him. Pretty much threatened his life and ours if he didn't give them "protection" money. So he went out bought a gun started shooting, found out about IPSC, Steel, etc., liked it and had me shooting four years later. If you live in the southern part, if you're chinese and have a business, you're pretty much on the "must kidnap" list. It's difficult to rely on Filipino law enforcement so we pretty much take matters into our own hands, protection-wise, I mean.

Edited by Athena

• 4 weeks later...

In Cebu, yesterday, a boa constrictor got shot! After trying for an hour to catch it, the cops decided to shoot it. Ahhh third world solution :(

On the last ppsa meeting, we want to be one of the best regions again by increasing the number of level 3 matches. This is by making the price of holding a level 2 almost the same as a level 3 match.

Well this is the first weekend that there is no match near my area after a year :(

thus i dont beleive that we have a lot of shooting here :) Now i dont have anything to do this weekend.

Edited by Jasonub

• 1 month later...

Its true though...Filipino love guns! I don't think its so much a "warrior" mentality. I am a teacher and student of Filipino Martial Arts and its pretty amazing how many Filipinos know about thier Martial Culture but few really practice it.

My love for firearms came from my dad and uncles. My dad would tell me stories about his collection back in the Philippines. He had a nice M1 Carbine and a GI 1911 that he somehow aquired during WWII. He wasn't in the war but my uncle was a driver for some of the US officers and made friends with alot of them.