Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011s that can take the Mitchell Right Side Mag Release

I'm a wrong-handed shooter who wants to move to shooting a 2011 in Limited Optics, but I don't want to re-learn how to drop a mag with my trigger finger. 

MPA makes the release Jim Mitchell sold for years but was always hard to come by. 

I've shot a friend's MPA for LO and loved it, but I don't think I can swing that sticker price. 

Does anyone have suggestion on other 2011s that might take this release. MPA told me it needs to be a grip that takes Gen 1 STI mags. They also say it won't work in a Prodigy. 

I'm curious if it might work in a Bul SAS II or something else in the $2k range 2011s. 

Chris 

IMG_7040.png

I’m pretty sure Bul has their own proprietary grip and mags. So doubtful it would work. 

you really just need a grip that works with it. So any 2011 will work with that mag release if you install a grip that works with it.

obviously buying and installing a different grip can be a substantial cost if your on a budget. But if you get a gat for the right price and aren’t particular about a polymer grip, you could make it happen pretty economically.

This.  Find a pistol you can use with a regular old STI grip and install that.  Most 2011s will, and I'm pretty sure you can swap one directly onto a Prodigy.  Used to be they were ~$100, but have gone up lately.

Your other option is a SV grip which has an ambi release.

12 hours ago, Explosiveo said:

I’m pretty sure Bul has their own proprietary grip and mags. So doubtful it would work. 

👆

Their  mag release  is different from STI.

I'm a recent MPA DS9 owner who ordered the LH mag release. Not sure what differentiates the STI gen 1 mags since the DS9 comes with MBX mags and I bought an Atlas mag that also works with the LH release.

Most likely the problem is going to come from the contour of the grip at the mag catch side.  Many newer ones are thicker there because the old metal copies of plastic grips would crack there.  Too thick and the right-side mechanism won't work well.

You just need a gen 1 STI grip module.  Post a WTB here on Enos, your local shooting forum, social media outlets, other places.  Should be able to find one at a fair price.

Seen Atlas has a left handed grip module earlier today while checking model names, but did not look at price.

See if you can find an STI Edge. 

Awesome pistols.... and should be around USD 1.500,- I believe. 

Great guns from a time STI still had quality products (in my humble opinion)

I absolutely love mine. Bought it six months ago and it runs flawlessly.

Edge Holosun left side.jpg

Edited by WFargo

See if you can find an STI Edge. 

Awesome pistols.... and should be around USD 1.500,- I believe. 

Great guns from a time STI still had quality products (in my humble opinion)

I absolutely love mine. Bought it six months ago and it runs flawlessly..................

I agree with you. I recently tested 3 STI  guns, one shot about 200K and 2 others about 100K. Only one of them had a crack in the frame( 100K) , something that can be easily repaired. all of them shoot 9mm factory ammo.

Some of the pistols from the same category of  other  companies, which I tested after 15K looked much worse than  STI,  that shot 200 K   🤣

Edges in 9mm aren't super common (vast majority were in .40) but they're out there.  I like mine for LO, although I may go with a lighter slide next time around.

22 hours ago, Dr Mitch said:

You just need a gen 1 STI grip module.  Post a WTB here on Enos, your local shooting forum, social media outlets, other places.  Should be able to find one at a fair price.

Seen Atlas has a left handed grip module earlier today while checking model names, but did not look at price.

I am almost positive that Atlas has their own in-house left hand mag release. The Mitchel one won't work in the Atlas frame.

13 hours ago, LHshooter said:

I am almost positive that Atlas has their own in-house left hand mag release. The Mitchel one won't work in the Atlas frame.

You guys need to get your nomenclature straight. The 'frame' is the steel part with the slide rails and the serial number. The 'grip module' is the part with the mag release in it. Not a big think, but it just helps to avoid confusion.

On 4/19/2024 at 9:50 PM, LHshooter said:

My Atlas Artemis has a right side mag catch/button from the factory.  It's the best grip for 2011s IMO. The palm swell panel adjustability is just amazing