Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First idpa match

Raz22582

Looking to shoot my first idpa match 

I will shoot the  match from appendix 

Tier 1 axis elite-holster

staccato xc-gun 

question is all mags have to the be the 126mm correct or can the reload mags be 140mm also is a Neo mag for a extra mag considered legal?

Thanks for any help

There is no formal limit on mag length but...

Your gun with any of your empty mags inserted must fit into the box appropriate for the division you are shooting.

That pretty much rules out any mags in the 140mm category.

Edited to add: And just because a mag is 126mm or thereabouts doesn't mean it will work.
Some factory gun and mag combinations may not be legal but can be with aftermarket base pads.

In particular 2011 patterned guns might need special base pads.

Monthly matches typically do not do formal equipment checks but it is a good idea and being a good sport to be as compliant as possible. Also if you should decide to shoot an upper level match your gear will have to be legal.

Ask around at your first match; let people know it is your first time; you will get all sorts of help and advice.

Edited by ddc

2 hours ago, Raz22582 said:

Looking to shoot my first idpa match 

I will shoot the  match from appendix 

Tier 1 axis elite-holster

staccato xc-gun 

question is all mags have to the be the 126mm correct or can the reload mags be 140mm also is a Neo mag for a extra mag considered legal?

Thanks for any help

Magnets aren’t really legal in IDPA. With that said, the way the Neo mag works as long as you can conceal it, it will be legal. The xc is an awesome gun but it fits tight in the box. If my memory serves me correctly you need after market base pads (plastic) to make weight with that gun. I could be wrong, I spot with a guy who owns one and I think that’s what he said. But he also runs an optic and a flashlight I believe. 

Your local match isn’t going to scrutinize you too much or at least they shouldn’t. So you’ll learn real quick what you need to do.

Have fun and make your only real goal for this first match, not to get DQ’ed. You’re going to learn most the rules one penalty at a time, don’t let that get you down. 

I sure squawked the time the starting position was at 45 deg which meant I automatically got swept by the guy with the bellybutton holster.  His buddy running the stage didn't seem to care, though.

Yes he did.  His carry was about 150 deg  and the starting position was 45 deg, so he was WAY past 180.  His buddy running the stage didn't care.  Now a 45 deg start was unusual but he should have taken steps to stay safe and legal.  But he didn't.  

1 hour ago, Jim Watson said:

Yes he did.  His carry was about 150 deg  and the starting position was 45 deg, so he was WAY past 180.  His buddy running the stage didn't care.  Now a 45 deg start was unusual but he should have taken steps to stay safe and legal.  But he didn't.  

trying to follow this,, can you describe using clock with 12 being straight down range  and belly button of body ?

20 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

trying to follow this,, can you describe using clock with 12 being straight down range  and belly button of body ?

I'd assume from reading his post the shooter had the gun at 12 or 1 as is fairly typical for AIWB. If you're right handed and start facing 45* to the left, So you're looking at 10-11:00, you gun you're gun is likely pointed past the 180 the instant it pops from the holster. Some where around the 7:00. 

Not sure IDPA's rules on this, but in USPSA even if the muzzle is down you can be DQ'd the instant the gun pops from the holster while the top of the holster in pointed past the 180. 

2 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

I'd assume from reading his post the shooter had the gun at 12 or 1 as is fairly typical for AIWB. If you're right handed and start facing 45* to the left, So you're looking at 10-11:00, you gun you're gun is likely pointed past the 180 the instant it pops from the holster. Some where around the 7:00. 

Not sure IDPA's rules on this, but in USPSA even if the muzzle is down you can be DQ'd the instant the gun pops from the holster while the top of the holster in pointed past the 180. 

seems like that would require a move like drawing cross draw,, Hard turn to right,, draw,, then shift back around to where ever the target is..  I only ever did mounted shooting with western gear so 180 wasnt an issue..

13 hours ago, Joe4d said:

seems like that would require a move like drawing cross draw,, Hard turn to right,, draw,, then shift back around to where ever the target is..  I only ever did mounted shooting with western gear so 180 wasnt an issue..

You just need to make sure you're oriented with your hips down range before you pull the gun. But, getting caught at a club match especially is pretty unlikely. Your body is between you and the SO making it really hard for them to tell when the gun clears the holster. 

Racinready pretty well has it.

The shooter's holster was about 12:30 on his body, which put the bore line about 11:00 on his stance, but with the starting line at an angle, it was about 8:00 on the range.  So when he lifted the gun, it was already well behind the 180 deg plane.  But as I said, his buddy was running the stage and did not care.  This a very small local match, no real oversight.

Crossdraws are common in CAS.  There is a defined pivot to make the draw but  the last time I was there it was usually just approximated by a wiggle of the butt.

I shot the match around 30 or so shooters, came in 3 overall, I  would have won the match overall but went to uspsa mode 2 times and dropped a load mag and got like 6 seconds in penalties I believe.  Just got to get use to not dropping non empty mags