Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm becoming a Glock fud....

Kravi

So I've been struggling competitively in a way that I shouldn't be struggling. I mean, I've been performing terribly.... So I thought I would test things out. I have a g17.5 I use for competitions with a Zev slide, a Faxon TiN Match barrel, an Overwatch Precision trigger and a GlockStore tungsten guide rod (the type which is basically a platic OEM g5 recoil spring made from tungsten). I also brought my g45 with an OEM barrel and slide, but the same trigger and recoil spring / guide rod as the g17 (granted the g19/g45 version). And....

I shot four targets from a bag. The top left was pure g17.5. Big spread. The top right was g45, tight group minus one called flyer. Bottom left was the Faxon g17 barrel in the g45 (you can do that with Gen 5 glocks). Big spread, almost identical to the g17.5 spread. And the bottom right was the re-assembled g17.5. And guess what? Big spread.

So basically I'm getting way lousier performance (I'm trying to keep this safe for work) with the "Faxon Match" barrel than I am with the OEM barrel. I reached out to Faxon to see if they have any spec guarantee, but most likely I'm going to just replace it with an OEM barrel.

Hence my fuddiness. G5 glocks are pretty damned mechanically accurate. While I like the overwatch triggers because they are safe and have less trigger pull (I've got short fingers so it helps a lot), the fantasy of using aftermarket parts for "performance improvements" seems dead to me...

Cheers,

Adam

Before "damning" the barrels, ammo, or anything else mechanical, I would have a couple of other people shoot the guns.  Another thing that I'd try is different ammo.  I've seen some ammo that simply won't group at all, especially reloads.

10 minutes ago, Braxton1 said:

Before "damning" the barrels, ammo, or anything else mechanical, I would have a couple of other people shoot the guns.  Another thing that I'd try is different ammo.  I've seen some ammo that simply won't group at all, especially reloads.

I've shot AAC, Blazer and PMC through this, all with the same results.

Cheers,

Adam

I have never understood buying a new gun and replacing the barrel, unless you were building an open gun or something. If a factory gun is not accurate enough for USPSA, it's probably a POS. 

So yeah, trigger, grip tape, maybe sights, depending on model (whether Glock or something else). If it needs more than that it's probably trash 

well back when we all shot cast bullets, folks would go with conventional rifled Glock barrels..
But in the OPs case,, DId you get a base line of how the gun shot stock ? 
In a modern auto loader design consistency in the relationship between the barrel and the sights have the biggest affect... You changed the slide and the barrel,, Probably ended up with stacked tolerances.. Barrel to frame, slide to barrel, 

46 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

well back when we all shot cast bullets, folks would go with conventional rifled Glock barrels..
But in the OPs case,, DId you get a base line of how the gun shot stock ? 
In a modern auto loader design consistency in the relationship between the barrel and the sights have the biggest affect... You changed the slide and the barrel,, Probably ended up with stacked tolerances.. Barrel to frame, slide to barrel, 

It wasn't a stock gun. I started with a Frankenstein's Monster. I bought a stripped frame (G17.5), an Overwatch Trigger, a GlockStore Recoil Spring, Extended Slide Release, NDZ extended (slightly) mag release, a Zev slide and a Faxon barrel. It (more or less) came out to the same price as a stock glock (retail). 

Obviously in retrospect I'd just buy a stock g17.5 and send the slide off to be milled, but that is in retrospect.

As for your "stacked tolerances" comment, I shot the barrel out of an OEM slide and had the same issues. It ain't the Zev slide (granted, I might have gotten lucky with that), it is purely the barrel. And you are preaching to the choir. As I said in the first post and up above here, going forward I'd just stick with OEM for the major components.