Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taper Crimp or M Die? Which one is more necessary?

Five stations on my press and I need six.  So, I can either remove an M-Die and depend on the funnel on my Dillon powder measure to flare the case or I can remove a Taper Crimp die and depend on the seating / roll crimping die for a crimp.

Let me 'axed' this question.

Which die should I ditch - Taper Crimp or M Die?

GG

I use the flare die separate from the powder measure.

I seat and taper crimp with the Lee die.

I leave the last station empty. Set it up for a powder cop but instead I lean forward and check powder every 10 rounds or so. The powder drop always works and I can hear it if it doesn't.

Iload on a 550 so only 4 stations... Flare with the dillon powder drop/die.. Seat with a seater, then crimp with a crimper.. I have no idea what an M die does,  But seating and crimping on one station is a royal pain

Depending on what you’re loading UniqueTek may have the answer for you in their specialty powder funnels for Dillon powder measures. I have the one made for loading .358 coated bullets in 9mm (for my 929) and their one for 38 double ended wadcutters (they also have one HBWC) in 38 Specials.  You can also get one for coated 45 ACP.  It makes the powder measure into a M die. 

Edited by BHBret
Typo corrections

I have no issues loading coated 358 coated bullets into 38 short colt using a regular dillon 9mm powder funnel.
 Have also loaded all the other things u listed with regular die and dillon funnel/ flare thing..
SO what is or what does a M die do ?

1 hour ago, Joe4d said:

I have no issues loading coated 358 coated bullets into 38 short colt using a regular dillon 9mm powder funnel.
 Have also loaded all the other things u listed with regular die and dillon funnel/ flare thing..

M Die widens the case so powder coated and cast bullets can seat into it straighter and without shaving lead.

I am not positive my Lyman M die is of more value than my taper crimp die so I pulled the M Die and will keep on the taper crimp.  I am positive the taper crimp is functional.  The M Die is for .38 Spl and I am using it on .38 Super so there may be a problem with the size of the expander punch not opening up the Super brass well enough for it to do what it was designed to do.

I am putting a slight roll crimp into the brass with my seating die but am depending on the taper crimp to do most of the work holding the bullet in under recoil.  Must be working because I haven't had problems with bullets getting pulled except for my 327 TRR-8 and that stopped once I got it magna ported.

I do see a lot of value in an M-Die but will take a look at a specialty funnel from Unique Tek as BHB advised.  

GG

I am using a regular expander/powder through die before the powder station. I removed the powder section and adjusted the die to minimum flare. The powder drop/expander caused an extra vibration when I tried it. I am using a .355 9mm expander whether loading .355 9mm or .358 diameter bullets. I taper crimp everything.

2 hours ago, gargoil66 said:

I do see a lot of value in an M-Die but will take a look at a specialty funnel from Unique Tek as BHB advised.  

GG

Think that’s what I’d do. I really like the way the M die works and if they make a funnel like it that would be the kitty’s butt. I tried some seat/crimp with coated and it just made a mess. 

4 hours ago, Joe4d said:

With a progressive i.e. 1050 or 650/750 the uniquetek helps with the bullet flopping out of the case on rotating.  Under size sizing die gives the tightest fit, uniquetek powder tube for.358 bullets then opens the mouth just a bit below the flare allowing the bullet to ride round the progressive without falling out.  Yet doesn't affect the tightness below it.  It's not an issue with my 550.

3 hours ago, pskys2 said:

With a progressive i.e. 1050 or 650/750 the uniquetek helps with the bullet flopping out of the case on rotating.  Under size sizing die gives the tightest fit, uniquetek powder tube for.358 bullets then opens the mouth just a bit below the flare allowing the bullet to ride round the progressive without falling out.  Yet doesn't affect the tightness below it.  It's not an issue with my 550.

And that is 'zakley' why I just bought a UniqueTek funnel for .358 bullets.  Sick of having to put the bullets back upright when they flop over or even pop out of the case on rotation of the shell plate.

Also, the straighter the bullet goes into the brass, the better.

GG

I was also a big fan of using a M die. Going back years ago I can remember my uncle saying it's needed for over sized bullets. He was/is loading 44s with 432s and was needed to not scrape the lead. I was using one myself until I started using the double Alpha funnel. Works great as a semi M die. There are other such funnels out there as mentioned above. But I'm happy with mine that I got two, one for my 550 and 750. 

There is an aftermarket equipment maker, who makes something like an M-die, which fits into the Dillon powder die.  He calls them his Powder Transfer Unit, or PTU:  :  

https://www.photoescapeinc.com/products/  

I have them for .45 acp, .38 Special, 9mm and .32 S&W-L.  They are particularly useful when using soft Lead bullets, to prevent them from being squashed smaller by a tight case during seating.