Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38sc failure to return to battery

kewi

I have an open blaster that’s been having occasional failures to return to battery..the round would almost fully get into the chamber and then stops just before the slide closes..a slight push on the rear portion of the slide would then chamber it..this only happens during live fire..this failure never occur when i rack it manually and the rounds are ejecting consistently at 3:00-4:00both in live fire and by manually racking it..my cases all pass the gauge..one thing i noticed though, as i was watching atlas extractor tension test was that the case on my extractor as i was doing the extractor test, wont drop free out the slide even after shaking it a lot of times it only goes out if i lightly tap it a couple of times against my other hand while shaking it..could this be the culprit? I have an egw hd extractor in it but i’ve read somewhere in the forums that the extractor shake test does not apply to egw hd extractors..

About 0.0005” to 0.0010” before it completely closes..it really almost returns to battery until the very last few moments before it closes, then it happens..to check tension, what should i look for when slowly rack the slide?

1 hour ago, Rnlinebacker said:

Check your disconnector. If it's got a burr or is mishaped it will slow down the slide that last bit of movement.

Also, what pound spring are you running and have you cut any coils?

I think its not the disconnector, i don’t feel any hang up when i slowly rack the slide..im running 9lbs recoil spring..

Your story isn't really adding up.  A gun .0005 -.001 "out of battery"  would still fire.  Also that much wouldn't require a push into battery let alone be noticeable enough to cause any further attention.  If you are having to push it into battery its got to be  .050 to .100 from chambering,  which could be a number of issues.

use your barrel to chamber check..
Examine brass and head stamp, 38 super, 38 super comp, different brands seem to have different rim size.. Looks like you have a hair to much extractor tension for a 9lb spring.

Yeah, there's a decimal out of place somewhere I think.

An overly-tight extractor will stop closer to 1/4" out of battery and it'll do it easily by hand when racking the first round in (anything but "yank back and let-fly" on the slide)

I’ll try adjusting the tension of the extractor as some of you suggested..btw how do you test extractor tension on a egw hd extractor without live fire? Ive tried the shake test but it doesn’t seem to work on the hd extractor..the case would either not drop when shaken unless i tap the slide with my other hand or when i slightly adjust it to have lesser tension, it will only hold the case for a couple of shakes then it will fall out which would indicate loose extractor tension..i’ve done extractor tension tuning on my other open gun with a different extractor and it seems not that difficult to tune compared to the egw hd..

EGW HD Doesn't really require much tension to run.  I would set it up on the looser end where it just takes a few shakes to rattle a round out.  Take it to the range and shoot it for function. Single load a round and drop a mag. Fire a round and see if it ejects normally while unsuported by having a round below it.  If it does, that's usually enough extractor tension.

2 minutes ago, APL-G35 said:

EGW HD Doesn't really require much tension to run.  I would set it up on the looser end where it just takes a few shakes to rattle a round out.  Take it to the range and shoot it for function. Single load a round and drop a mag. Fire a round and see if it ejects normally while unsuported by having a round below it.  If it does, that's usually enough extractor tension.

Oh i see..that’s probably why im having a difficult time figuring out the proper tension on this hd extractor..i’ll try to tension it on the looser side the way you suggested..hope this solves my ftrb..