Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL 1100 indexing question

I have been reloading on the Dillon 550 for 20+ years. I'm mostly loading 9 major and using 9.5 AA#7 with a 124. The case is pretty full but with the indexing control of the 550 I have no issues with powder spillage. I'm considering going to the 1100 for the priming on the downstroke and the swaging station. I'm looking for feedback on the auto indexing with respect to how smoothly the case moves when mostly full of powder. I have watched a bunch of YouTube videos but it's hard to tell if the operating handle controls the speed of the moving shell plate or not. I also see aftermarket gizmos to prevent powder spillage. Are these effective?

The case moves as slow and smooth as you run the handle.

The detent ball can also cause the shell plate to "snap" into place.  That is why some people put a low mass ball in or trim the spring a touch.

My experience is that there is a bit of a snap as the plate indexes into place.

I'm loading 9mm minor with Clean Shot at about 4.1'ish which is roughly about half full?

I do get a couple of powder kernels splashed out on just about every index.

It's not enough to bother me but I'm pretty sure I'd have a problem trying to stuff a 9major load in there.

In that case I'd have to pay more attention to a solution.

Plenty of people load 9major on progressives so obviously it can be done.

Edited to add: I'm running automated right at 1500 cases per hour so that is a contributing factor.

Edited by ddc

• 2 weeks later...

I moved from a 650 to an 1100. I converted them both to low mass balls. Both would still spill a little powder if you're cranking on them with cases that are pretty full. I certainly do not think the 1100 is worse. 

You will like the upgrade. I upgraded mostly to get the swagger and extra stations. But the better priming is for sure another plus. 

This is the first I’ve heard of a “low mass ball”. Is it just a little smalller than the stock ball?

Edited by Cuz

2 hours ago, Cuz said:

This is the first I’ve heard of a “low mass ball”. Is it just a little smalller than the stock ball?

I weighs less so it makes the index plate less snappy.  

A low mass ball and trimming a coil off the spring will really help.

I've noticed that the snap is somewhat related to how tight your shell plate is clamped down by the retaining ring.

You might try going just a hair tighter.

Never did load 9mm Major when I was running the RL1100; but like @ddc was loading somewhere between 4 and 5 grains of 9mm VV powder.  Still had occasional kernels that would end up on the shell plate; especially when the indexing would stop on the "ball".

Tried the Arredondo stabilizers but didn't like loosing the option to take a case in and out of a single station by using the Dillon brass tabs vs removing the entire stabilizer.  

https://www.arredondoaccessories.com/product/shell-stabilizer-3/

Ended up seeing another loader use some cable ties around his press. So I tried this and it worked perfectly at keeping the cases stabilized and not wobbling between stations.  Pic of details:

Tablet View.png