Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10-round mag reliability

matteekay

Any tricks to getting 10-round Glock 17 mags to run? I have a set for when I shoot in enemy territory and they tend to bind up (even when unloading them, which is... alarming). I've ordered a set of Wolff +10% springs but any other tips are appreciated.

Ah, I think I've got it. And the problem, as usual, is me.

I'd put old Henning bases on these mags. I just took one off and it looks like they're +2 and not +0. I think it's giving the spring enough extra room to bind up, fold over, etc. I'll switch back to flat bases and see if that fixes it.

I have 28 G17/34 mags and most of them are 20+ years old.  They run perfectly and still have the original springs.  All stock. All used for competition by my Wife and me.

Just ordered 10rd mags off of GunMag warehouse due to the 10 rd limit in my new state I live in, NJ. I was scared at first until I saw it was your basepads lol! I got +0s I can use for these to help with reloads. Looks like I’ll be needing to reload a lot lol

5 hours ago, war_material said:

Just ordered 10rd mags off of GunMag warehouse due to the 10 rd limit in my new state I live in, NJ. I was scared at first until I saw it was your basepads lol! I got +0s I can use for these to help with reloads. Looks like I’ll be needing to reload a lot lol

I'm sorry. At least you have Wawa...?

2 hours ago, RJH said:

https://magpul.com/pmag-10-gl9-glock-g17.html

I bet these would work 

I've had good luck with PMags in the past (other than sometimes hanging up on ejection). I think they work better because they're still double-stack and limit capacity by shortening the tube, whereas OEM mags try to keep the shape of a stock mag but force the rounds into a single-stack configuration. I'll add a few to the pile next time I see some.

MagPul don't make a  10rd G17/34 mag they must be pinned, and when the problems begin.

Stick with the Glock 10 rd mags and you won't have problems.

I have 1 G17 mag, a Gen 1, that works perfectly but doesn't drop.

2 minutes ago, RePete said:

MagPul don't make a  10rd G17/34 mag they must be pinned, and when the problems begin.

Stick with the Glock 10 rd mags and you won't have problems.

I have 1 G17 mag, a Gen 1, that works perfectly but doesn't drop.

The link I posted shows 10 round magazines from Magpul right on their website for 15 bucks a piece for a Glock 17

41 minutes ago, RJH said:

The link I posted shows 10 round magazines from Magpul right on their website for 15 bucks a piece for a Glock 17

Yup. I've had them in the past and they're well-designed.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/24/2024 at 7:42 PM, matteekay said:

I'm running round nose coated lead and have plenty of clearance. I can even get the follower to bind with an empty mag.

In my experience - which mostly involved jacketed round nose or hollow point projectiles in 115, 124, 125, and 147 grain weights, I loaded to an oal no longer than 1.100 to get a Gen 3 Glock 34 to reliably run with ten rounders.  Downloading to just make power factor - say 130-132 also required dropping a couple of pounds of recoil spring weight.....

As with anything, be careful.... 🙂

On 2/24/2024 at 8:05 PM, matteekay said:

Ah, I think I've got it. And the problem, as usual, is me.

I'd put old Henning bases on these mags. I just took one off and it looks like they're +2 and not +0. I think it's giving the spring enough extra room to bind up, fold over, etc. I'll switch back to flat bases and see if that fixes it.

Glad you got it figured out.  Last year I bought a dozen of the new 10 round mags for matches in RI.  I put the Carver +0 base pads on them.  I've been using them regularly with no issues at all.  So now I have 2 sets of 10 round mags, the red base pads are true 10 rounders, and the silver base pads are hi-caps with blocks for MA, and then the pre-bans are easy enough to tell apart because they have the extended base pads for carry optics.

Glock mags are easy.  What really sucked was having to buy 4 of the ten round MBX mags for the STI my kid shoots.  That hurt!

7 hours ago, Cuz said:

Glad you got it figured out.  Last year I bought a dozen of the new 10 round mags for matches in RI.  I put the Carver +0 base pads on them.  I've been using them regularly with no issues at all.  So now I have 2 sets of 10 round mags, the red base pads are true 10 rounders, and the silver base pads are hi-caps with blocks for MA, and then the pre-bans are easy enough to tell apart because they have the extended base pads for carry optics.

Glock mags are easy.  What really sucked was having to buy 4 of the ten round MBX mags for the STI my kid shoots.  That hurt!

Oof. Ferrari prices, Fiero performance.