Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cylinder for 38S on a 929

tomjerry1

You can use 38 short colts in the 929 as is.  The case head expands a bit more than usual.  The little I played with one that case expansion was able to be sized out and reloaded for use in my 627.  Don't know if repeated firings would change that or affect case life.

The 929 i did this with was a buddies and is documented in a uspsa front sight article 2 years ago.  It had been set up by tk and had their usual chamfer and action work.

You use the moon clip combination you would use for 38 short colts in a 627 too.

I made a 627 cylinder to fit the 929 to shoot 38 Short Colt. The 929 cylinder is slightly shorter, so all you have to do is face off the front of the 627 cylinder the right amount. Then the chambers are right for both calibers, and it only takes about a minute to change from one to the other. You can also ream a 38 or 357 cylinder to work for 38 Super. I'm not a fan of using a 9mm chamber for everything.

Edited by Toolguy

If your cylinder is shorter you will have excessive loss of speed due to the cylinder being greater than the Factory .0006"...

We tried this in the 1970s with our PPC 38 Specials machining the cylinders shorter so that the 148 gr HBWC would almost be flush and have less bullet jump to the forcing cone making better accuracy.

It didn't work  as we also had to turn down the 6" barrels,20210806_111909.thumb.jpg.ca8bd969ee748619b410b280c19ee026.jpg rethreading them to screw in further and keeping that .0006" gap.

2 hours ago, tomjerry1 said:

Anyone know if there is a cylinder for a 929 that would chamber 38S/38SC ? 

You can cut down and rechamber a 627 cylinder. 

Smith used to sell 627-4 cylinders that were factory 38 Super. I put one in my 929 and have a spare new one laying around. 

The factory 38 super cylinders are the same length as 929 cylinders

Don't know if they still have in stock or not. 

I have been thinking of this myself. I do the typical .358 in a 9mm case for my 929 but wonder when seating and crimping do the dies swage them down to a .356/7 ? If i went to a 357 cylinder cut down this would solve this. 

I never understand these efforts to shoot ammo though a revolver that is chambered for something else.  

If you want to shoot 9mm loads, get a 929.  

If you want to shoot 38Spl or 38SC, get a 5" 627.  

If you want to shoot 38Super, get a 627-4 (if you can find one).  

I'm fairly convinced that some guys are just not happy unless they're doing things differently.  (Then again, I suppose we're all a little that way, or we wouldn't be shooting revolvers in competition.)  🙂

Personally, I'm just experimenting all the time. I just made a 357 Sig (essentially a 40 S&W necked down to 9mm), 686 with .40 S&W moonclips just to see if it would work and if it was faster to reload when putting a 9mm bullet into a 10mm chamber. I'm only loading to about 135 PF, as full power loads might be too much for an L frame cylinder. It works fine, but the moonclips I have are so loose on the brass that all the bullets don't line up right sometimes. If I can come up with better moons, it will probably work fine.

3 hours ago, Carmoney said:

I never understand these efforts to shoot ammo though a revolver that is chambered for something else.  

If you want to shoot 9mm loads, get a 929.  

If you want to shoot 38Spl or 38SC, get a 5" 627.  

If you want to shoot 38Super, get a 627-4 (if you can find one).  

I'm fairly convinced that some guys are just not happy unless they're doing things differently.  (Then again, I suppose we're all a little that way, or we wouldn't be shooting revolvers in competition.)  🙂

Shooting a different caliber through the gun than it’s stamped gives you an extra 5% of total match points- everyone knows that.