Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 Recoil / Shock Buffers

ES13Raven

Shadow 2 Recoil / Shock Buffers  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use Recoil / Shock Buffs with the Shadow 2?

• Yes, I use them.
    • No, I took it out.

I've been using thick ones on my S2's and thin ones on my S1.  I initially used them because they came installed, but did eventually try without them and thought it had a negative effect on the felt recoil *for me*.  I understand that this short strokes the slide action and some people claim this will induce malfunctions, but have not had any issues.

My Shadow 2 OR came with a thick buffer. My Shadow 2 Orange came with a thin buffer. And yes, I have left them in the gun. Replaced the thick one in the S2 OR due to wear.

My Oranges came with them installed. I replace them as needed. Thick one in my SP-01 Orange and thin one in my S2 Orange. A while back, I stopped by CZCustom to see if I could buy more. They don't sell them and also don't install them in their custom guns. My SP-01 tactical and safety versions didn't come with them. 🤷‍♂️

I have two CZC Bull Shadows that I run without a buffer using CGW's 11 lb recoil spring. I just cracked my second Romeo 3 in the last 5000 rounds. Should I consider a buffer? Or does it have nothing to do with cracking optics?

13 minutes ago, Haywizzle said:

I have two CZC Bull Shadows that I run without a buffer using CGW's 11 lb recoil spring. I just cracked my second Romeo 3 in the last 5000 rounds. Should I consider a buffer? Or does it have nothing to do with cracking optics?

It's probably at least contributing to it in some minimally meaningful manner, but Romeo3s are not known for their durability on slide ride guns, especially those that are reportedly quite harsh on optics (direct milled CZ75s)

27 minutes ago, VeilAndrew said:

It's probably at least contributing to it in some minimally meaningful manner, but Romeo3s are not known for their durability on slide ride guns, especially those that are reportedly quite harsh on optics (direct milled CZ75s)

Thanks for the reply. I have heard that the CZs beat up direct milled optics. It's one of the reasons I'm using the Romeo 3 with the no hassle SIG RMA process (so far). I'd rather not have broken optics but these are competition guns, not duty/self-defense. I'll consider installing a buff. I need to figure out which would work with the Bull Shadow. I know I have 2011 Wilson combat buffs laying around somewhere.

I run the stock thick buffer in my S2 as well and have an SRO direct milled on the slide, but I shoot reloads just above minor power factor. The buffer has no damage after approx 10.000 rounds. 

I keep the buffer in so I hopefully never wreck the SRO as it is the same price as the Shadow 2 here in the Netherlands... hahahaha!! 😄

Never had a single malfunction with this pistol, by the way. 

On 2/20/2024 at 3:56 PM, Haywizzle said:

Direct milled R3 doesn’t have the optic frame support and just rides on the cosmetic cover on the sides… basically cantilevering between the front and rear frame edges and the screws. 

I destroyed 4 of them before I figured out what was going on. You can see the rub marks. 

IMG_1888.thumb.jpeg.727c0c916d236aa7c4f46b20d4207276.jpeg

They are a no go without a support plate on a narrow slide IMO.  I go for fully supported plate systems when I can. With proper plate bedding, no issues loosening up for me. 

19 hours ago, -JCN- said:

Direct milled R3 doesn’t have the optic frame support and just rides on the cosmetic cover on the sides… basically cantilevering between the front and rear frame edges and the screws. 

I destroyed 4 of them before I figured out what was going on. You can see the rub marks. 

They are a no go without a support plate on a narrow slide IMO.  I go for fully supported plate systems when I can. With proper plate bedding, no issues loosening up for me. 

Good info JCN, thanks! I wonder if this phenomenon is the reason CZC asked for my optic to be sent when I was having my slide cut. I know Primary Machine also requires the optic in hand when they do their work.

1 hour ago, Haywizzle said:

Good info JCN, thanks! I wonder if this phenomenon is the reason CZC asked for my optic to be sent when I was having my slide cut. I know Primary Machine also requires the optic in hand when they do their work.

I think it’s specific to the R3 for failure on narrow slides. 

If you look really carefully you can see the Primary Machine slide marks rubbed into the R3 in my picture haha. 

Tighter pocket front to rear doesn’t help the lack of side support. 

I thought about repurposing an RMR sealing plate and drilling holes for the R3 pattern to add the lateral support it needs. 

That might be an option for you.