Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Average Pricing For A 3 Gun Shotgun?

Hotwings2001

Im new to the 3gun scene and just shot my first match this weekend with a friends guns. What a blast. I was turned on to the 1100 Competition Master and the Winchester X2. Both look to be exactly what Im looking for but not sure of the BEST price to pay. Please give me some input on what the going rate is for both or what your advice would be for pricing either. Thanks

Im new to the 3gun scene and just shot my first match this weekend with a friends guns. What a blast. I was turned on to the 1100 Competition Master and the Winchester X2. Both look to be exactly what Im looking for but not sure of the BEST price to pay. Please give me some input on what the going rate is for both or what your advice would be for pricing either. Thanks

I have a Winchester Super X2 almost new in box. It has about 125 shells through it. Last year I had thought at I would be able to do 3 gun matches, but alas my health and family commitments have nixed that.

If you are interested, I will be real fair. as I recall I picked a couple of proper Winchester chokes on top of the ones that came with it.

I am in the Seattle area.

Feel free to email me

THanks,

Win

aka Gun Oil

aadva@earthlink.net

I have a Winchester Super X2 almost new in box. It has about 125 shells through it. Last year I had thought at I would be able to do 3 gun matches, but alas my health and family commitments have nixed that.

If you are interested, I will be real fair. as I recall I picked a couple of proper Winchester chokes on top of the ones that came with it.

Feel free to email me

THanks,

Win

aka Gun Oil

aadva@earthlink.net

I forgot to add that I have the Briley charge handle installed as well.....A must have item.

post-4199-1136245864_thumb.jpg

Either of those guns new or in as new condition should fetch in the $7-750 range. $650 would be a great deal.

I am biased but I think the SX2 MK1 (Browning Golds are the same gun with the addition of the autoload feature) is about the best setup out there for 3 gun.

Good luck, Craig

www.gzanders.com had the X2's priced at $599 with a $100 rebate from the manufacturer...which made it $499. No clue whether the deal is still on, if you want to go that route.

If you can find a Benelli priced in your range, call benny about building what you need...that is what I would do.

For a starter gun, if you look around there are good and inexpensive used regular 1100's around. I recently bought one for $300 and added a Choate extension for around $40. My 'smith is installing a DMW Easy Loader for me now and I'll be ready to rock at the next match!

Yeah, The Benelli's are nice, but the extra recoil compared to a gas gun is a factor and you should try one before going down that route blindly. They are reliable though, just not cheap.

A Remington Sportsman 11-87 can be had for under $500 new and considerably less used. Add a few parts and you basically have a CM. The Sportsman series uses plastic instead of wood on the furniture but the gun itself is a full on 11-87 as far as the active parts are considered.

BTW, Mike Voigt and a few other big dawgs run Remmies. Not everyone likes the extra recoil the Bennies bring to the table ;-)

Voigt runs a benelli now & I will be setting one up for jerry m. because his 11-87 broke for the 4th nat.'s in a row

I knew Jerry was dissin' the Remington platform after it dumped on Kay in Vegas, but I did not know Voigt had switched out!

You learn something new around here every day ;-)

IMHO there are two choices, Benelli or Winchester SX2. No offense to those who choose to shoot other shotguns! These two perform and it will save you money in the long run to invest in which ever one YOU like best. The SX2 is my gun of choice but I also have a Benelli both were picked up for around $700.00 each the SX2 was new the Benelli was used but looked new. Watch the classifieds here at the USPSA site and Gunbroker you may find what you want. Welcome to 3 gunning. Keith

Benny,

I am 6'4" and about 310 depending on the day. I have function problems with Benelli's due to my mass. I honestly think the SX2 (Gold) platform is easily better than the 1100's and as viable as the Benellis however I realize they don't come as close in frequency of use and popularity.

My hope is that you, Bevan, Jerry and some of the other shotgun wizards will start working on the platforms more as a matter of fact I have an SX2 that I want to turn into an open gun...interested?

Take care and I hope somehow you make it to 3 Gun Nats this year. Craig

Smokie,

I not only think it is size it is also alot about platform. I grew up as a very competitive trapshooter and I think I probably lock the gun down more than most.

Benny,

I will have to try it on a buddy's gun. I really just wish someone had the time/drive to explore the new gas guns a little more. I have the drive but none of the facilities/skills. Most importantly just getting the tec loader fabrication and mounting down. All the rest can be resolved or has been resolved through established efforts. Anyway, I have been jonesing for an open shotgun, I may just have to eat crow, breakdown and try making a Benelli work for me. Thanks for the advice.

Craig

BTW sorry for the hijacked thread.

Edited by smokshwn

The only (knock on wood) time I've made my unmodifed Benelli M1 (HK import) choke is with reduced recoil Remmy slugs when I tried to strong arm it. I'm 6'6" 280, too. Relax a bit and it runs like a scalded dog (knock on wood).

Dave part of my problem is not wanting to do the work of changing my shotgunning technique that has been ingrained over the last 20 years. If there were other shortcomings in my platform I would be very quick to fix them, but I don't know if the fact that a particular brand of gun doesn't work for me justifies that work. Shotgunning is one of the things I do very well in this three gun game and I am pretty sure it is because of my previous experience (sometimes it even makes up for my shitty reloads:)).

In talking to Bevan that has been the crux of the discussion. I asked if the type of mods he and Benny perform solve this particular function problem. His answer was that it helps but that some degree of technique change would still be helpful.

The crux of my dilemma is to either make the changes to my technique or try to get a tec loader guide similar to Arredondo's or Bevans made for the SX2.

Now I just need to decide how much I want to shoot Open.

Take care, Craig

Edited by smokshwn

Craig,

I understand. I was just offering my experience up for others who might be in a similar situation. BTW - I have the Open shotgun bug, too.

DP

[threaddrift /ON]

When you shot trap, did you shoot O/U's or an auto? Just curious.

[td /OFF]

I shoot a Perazzi MX8 O/U. At the volume my dad and I were shooting it is difficult to keep auto's alive. Also I got into International trap where you want to fire both shots very quickly and the lock times of the o/u's become an advantage over the auto's.

Take care, Craig

• 4 weeks later...

Quote my original post:

Feel free to email me

Thanks,

Win

aka Gun Oil

aadva@earthlink.net"

To those that saw this, thanks for your interest in this SX2! I wish I had 10 of them to sell and keep everyone happy!

The SX2 sold the day after this posting.

FWIW, the buyer reported that he was a REAL happy camper! Very pleased with the cycling speed and reliability!

Edited by Gun Oil