Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon rl 1100 or mark 7 apex

I have been loading on an xl 650 for some years now.  I load primarily 9 and 223, but have conversions for trimming 223-300 bo, and 45 acp.  The press works well and theres been pretty much no issues, and the issues i have had were fixed, for free, by dillons absolutely top notch customer service.  I would really like to add a bullet feeder into the mix, but dont want to lose a powder check or my factory crimp die which is where the dilema starts.  On press swaging is a huge plus too as i will no longer need to mess around on the lee app (have tried and hated the swageit)  Logically, i was looking to get a press to fix my gripes.  The likelyhood of me running an auto drive is pretty low in the future as a talking point.  Have any of you used both and have inputs on what you did and did not like?  The pricing is pretty apples to apples at this point between the two.  Im really hesitant to walk away from dillon as they have really went above and beyond to help me.  I would have the press set up once a year for a big run of 223 and the rest of the year be setup for 9 if that helps.

9 hours ago, m700 said:

There is no way without combining seat and crimp. I setup a camera that looks in the case at the seating station. It is pretty effective.

Yeah if you absolutely need a powder check die, a bullet drop, a seater and a separate crimp die then the 1100 won't work.

There are only three stations after the powder drop. You would need the Apex which has four.

On an 1100 checking powder visually is a little more awkward than on a 650 but with 9mm it is doable. I don't load rifle on it so I can only guess that would be more challenging to visually confirm than 9mm.

Edited by ddc

I have the automated Apex 10 as my primary reload press and the Super 1050 (previous gen of the RL1100) as my back up press for all my 9mm major ammo. Both are actually great presses, but the built and quality of the Apex is superior to the Dillon and more importantly the Apex has 10 stations, which enables you to set up any and all dies, incl. a seperate seating and crimp dies, and can be upgraded with great tools made by and for the Apex. I think at the end it's predominantly a budgettary decision. If you can make the budgets available I strongly recommend the Apex over the Dillon.

I used to really worry about a powder check station before I got my bullet feeder.   Now, I have a extra light set up where I can see into the case to check powder level, but 99% of the time I stare at the round to make sure it's in the correct position before the bullet gets seated.  In many thousands of rounds, there has never been an empty or over filled case.  Unless something breaks or I run our of powder,  I don't think it will ever be an issue.    

I have a powder check die, frankly never needed it and never set it up (at least 100K, probably more). However, if you must have the powder check get the Mark 7 with more stations. Coming from the 650 it really won't matter because the 1100 and Mark 7 presses will require you to purchase more stuff. The only things on the 650 that are the same on the 1100 is the powder measure and the case feeder. The good news is both come with a brand new 1100.

I'm totally set up with Blue, but that new Mark 7 with the auto-drive built in is temping. Just don't have any need nor ability to justify it.

Edited by HesedTech

9 hours ago, StefVanHauwe said:

I have the automated Apex 10 as my primary reload press and the Super 1050 (previous gen of the RL1100) as my back up press for all my 9mm major ammo. Both are actually great presses, but the built and quality of the Apex is superior to the Dillon and more importantly the Apex has 10 stations, which enables you to set up any and all dies, incl. a seperate seating and crimp dies, and can be upgraded with great tools made by and for the Apex. I think at the end it's predominantly a budgettary decision. If you can make the budgets available I strongly recommend the Apex over the Dillon.

Having loaded for MANY YEARS on a couple off XL650s, I made the move to the RL1100.  Ran it manually for right at 2 years.  Purchased the Mark 7 Apex 10; operated it for a year manually, and now have it fully automated.

All my loading has been primarily competition pistol calibers.

I can honestly say I totally agree with @StefVanHauwein that the Apex10 is a superior machine to the RL1100; especially now that they are basically in the same price range!  I would NEVER want to go back to 8 stations, vs 10 with the Mark 7!  I primarily do single pass reloading with fully pre-process brass; and IMO, the two extra stations along with a standard 7/8" x 14 threaded port over the priming station are definitely game changers!

And if you do decide to go automated, the Mark 7 Digital Automation with optional Sensors truly gives me piece of mind while allowing me to produce consistent premium quality reloads!

HTHs!

• 1 month later...

The main Thing an 1100 needs, it’s a camera under the powder station to see if there is a primer before the powder throw. The reason for this is that on the 1100 you don’t get that extra push feel when a primer is inserted so you don’t know for sure. 

4 hours ago, Chapo said:

The main Thing an 1100 needs, it’s a camera under the powder station to see if there is a primer before the powder throw. The reason for this is that on the 1100 you don’t get that extra push feel when a primer is inserted so you don’t know for sure. 

Curious if the endoscope is still working for you?

These options (below) may be cost prohibitive for most users; but several are using them in place of bullet sensors and/or powder sensors on the Mark7 Presses.  

https://www.keyence.com/products/sensor/photoelectric/lr-z/models/lr-zb250cp/

If this or the LR-X100C could be mounted to see up through the RL1100's "hole", it could easily stop the M7 Automation or set off an alarm for manual operation!

https://www.keyence.com/products/sensor/photoelectric/lr-x/models/lr-x100c/

💡