Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S+W 327 TRR8 Question

rooster mcbee

I have the hots for a 327 TRR8, but i'm heavily invested in 9mm components.  So my question is, can I shoot 9mm through a 327, could I use the 929 moon clips I already have, or would it need reaming.  Could it even shoot 9mm?  Thanks, Doug

32 minutes ago, rooster mcbee said:

I have the hots for a 327 TRR8, but i'm heavily invested in 9mm components.  So my question is, can I shoot 9mm through a 327, could I use the 929 moon clips I already have, or would it need reaming.  Could it even shoot 9mm?  Thanks, Doug

Call TK. Many a 327/627 have been cut for 9mm long before the 929 came to be. 

To make the chambers work it needs to see the 9mm reamer, and to make the moons work it needs a few thousandths taken off the face of the cylinder. 

9 hours ago, rooster mcbee said:

Something to ponder, ammo that works well in your autos may or may not function well in a Revo.  My experience has been long, heavy bullets with a long ogive and bearing surface shoot better.  I think longer bullet corrects bullet yaw from the freebore between the chamber and the throat of the cylinder better.  Good neck tension and depending on how you load, a touch more crimp may be necessary. I've never been satisfied with the accuracy of cast .356 bullets in a 627.  

People have success with lighter bullets, but your auto ammo *may* not be as plug and play as you like .

Another option, which may or may not fit your wants and needs is 38 short or long colt.  The $$$ you'd save on milling could get you 500 prices of brass, 20-30. *- TK clips and a 38 short die set.  I add a 9mm factory crimp set very light to iron out everything.  That being said,  picking up 1000 pieces of clip specific 9 mm brass, clips  and .358 bullets would be easy, too.

I had tr8, sold it and wish I had it back:  now I have to buy another one.

Good luck on whatever you decide!

Jason

Edited by Makicjf

As Jason said, try some .38 Short Colt before getting the cylinder reamed for 9mm.  Since you can use SC brass with moons, speed loaders (although the brass is short), or load it as is, it is more versatile than a cartridge that can only be loaded with moon clips.

I have a V Comp with the cylinder reamed for .38 Super and TK will get er done perfectly so if you really think that 9mm is the way to go with a TRR-8, send the cylinder to TK.

I don't care for 9mm as a cartridge due to its taper and variations in sizes between companies.  I do own two firearms that take 9mm and do load for it but as of late, I can buy Blazer 9mm for the same cost as reloading so I buy a case or two when I run low.  Also, your barrel is for .38 caliber bullets, not 9mm, so you will end up having to load oversize bullets into the 9mm cases which isn't a huge deal but to me, just another problem waiting to happen.

GG

I did this process years ago.  Bought a new cylinder & cylinder parts from S&W and sent them to TK to have the 2nd cylinder reamed to 9mm.  Because I'm lazy I only use one 9mm load for all semi-autos, revo, and PCC.

You don't need a 2nd cylinder ... you can send yours to TK, have it reamed, and shoot 9mm or 38/357.

https://tkcustom.com/pages/9mm-rechambering

all parts.JPG

5 minutes ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

Because I'm lazy I only use one 9mm load for all semi-autos, revo, and PCC.

I'd not call that lazy, I'd call that smart.    I'm far to , let's say "eclectic" ( which sounds better than squirrelly... I bounce around between calibers and platforms. WAY to much to ever advance) to create and stick with one load.  

You've got the right idea:  I've got A.D.D. ...

Jason

I should have been more specific, I load 9mm for auto, but I have a separate set-up for 2 929 revo's I load for, using heavy  .357-.358 sized bullets.  It sounds like there's a 327 in my future!  Thank you for the advice!

I load on a Dillon 750, and have different 9mm loads for different applications.

One load for PCC, one load for USPSA, one load for ICORE, and one load for NRA Precision Pistol.

I'm using RMR 124gr Match Winner in everything but ICORE. In ICORE I'm using 160gr Bayou or Blue.