Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Question

OSP737

While at an IDPA practice match this week, I had a chance to talk to a guy that was shooting a CZ with a red dot on it.  After the match he let me shoot his gun so we put up an old target at 15-20 yards.  I fired 10 rounds offhand at the head and most of the rounds were touching each other!  This gun shot great!   I thought most the CZs were too heavy for IDPA, although this gun did not have the orange or blue grips on it, I believe they were black and it had a steel frame.  He said he paid around $1200 for it without the dot.  Anyone have any idea which model this was?  I'm not looking for a CO gun but one to shoot with open sights.  I know, I should have asked him but I didn't think there would be a problem picking one out on the Internet.  Thanks.

Edited by OSP737

Well, the guy with this CZ showed up again at our Thursday practice and I got a good look at it.  Turns out it was a Shadow 2 that he changed the grips on and had the slide milled for the red dot.  Thanks for the ideas and help, it's appreciated.

Full size shadow 2 is too heavy for any IDPA division. Have to lose almost 4 ounces. Hard to believe it could be lightened enough with cuts, but no one would care at the T1 club match….awesome rig tho.

3 hours ago, Clint007 said:

Full size shadow 2 is too heavy for any IDPA division. Have to lose almost 4 ounces. Hard to believe it could be lightened enough with cuts, but no one would care at the T1 club match….awesome rig tho.

This.......which is why I was surprised to see it was a Shadow 2.  The just guy shoots for fun and is not really wrapped up in IDPA, and the club just likes to see people come out to shoot so no one cares.

You can make the Shadow 2 IDPA legal in CO. I had my Shadow 2's slide milled and changed the grips to Henning grips and the magazines with the plastic base pad. Total weight is 44.5 ounces. Trying to get a polymer guide rod to bring the weight further down.

image.jpeg.3aa33fa08d7631f64db23cc4989ccc1c.jpeg

That is indeed an impressive feat! What was the amount of slide milling was required? Pics maybe? 

They give you 2 extra ounces over the normal 43 ounce limit for ESP (for the optic) to get you to 45 ounces max weight.

All dimensions fit in the box then?  If I recall, especially with a beefy safety, it could be just over 1.625 inches in width…

Years ago before they raised the weight limit, I had a 1st generation shadow that was just a bit too heavy, and I had the slide milled to get it just underweight for ESP, and then they relaxed the weight limit….

C

Edited by Clint007
Typo

• 1 month later...

At local matches, they might not care - but to get a Shadow 2 to make weight there are a couple of things you can do:

• Slide milling - I think Primary Machine used to sell a Carry Optics specific cut, which included more weight reduction than their Harbinger series.
  • Lok lightweight grips
  • Acetyl guide rod (if you can find one)