Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Has anyone upgraded/revised the Dillon 650XL priming system?

I understand that very many users have had excellent experiences with the Dillon 650XL reloader.  

That said i've heard firsthand of some frightening occurrences of primer chain explosions.

I'm not trying to create conflict or misrepresent....rather, I'm just hoping to see if perhaps an upgraded/revised priming system is available for the Dillon 650XL?

thank you

Not that I’m aware of. On the bright side the explosions do project straight up for the most part. The outer tube contains the blast.

The 750 went back to a similar setup to the 550 and is much less prone to going boom.

Keep your safety glasses on and you will be good

thank you for responding. i purchased the reloader and a bunch of associated parts for it quite a few years back and it is all still in the boxes sealed. I probably should have sold it years ago but life got in the way and i neglected to.

i do use eye and ear protection when reloading, just a habit i learned and practiced long ago..... but i can't help but wonder if there isn't anything else i can do to optimize safety.  

If the unit can't be upgraded, is there perhaps a way to fashion/attach a more comprehensively protective shielding device for the surround as well as for the top?  

any constructive thoughts or suggestions would sure be appreciated

try a search for 650 primer and see what you get...

the one item I remember is that primer compound dust is another source

for problems. so clean the primer tubes with a bore snake or a patch.

I do not use a vibrating primer filler  or any other primer collator.

my patches all had a yellow ring after swabbing out the tubes.

so clean the priming system every so often, and more often

should you be using a mechanical aid to fill primer tubes.

... and I think the 750 is Dillon's attempt to improve the priming system.

it is likely an improvement, I just want to avoid feeling like I should replace my 650.

I have been told static discharges will easily light a primer

consider adding static dissipation items to your safety equipment.

miranda

thank you, i'll do so 

i'll also search out options for static dissipation.

i was thinking of perhaps adding another surround at a bit of a distance from the primer tube shield as well and maybe some sort of loose cover?

I have loaded many thousand of rounds on a 650. I have never had a primer go off. 

I would say it is a feel thing. You get to know how a primer seating feels. If it doesn't feel correct ,stop and check it out. 

No need to go so fast you can not feel the primer seating. 

I would say that I have loaded probably around 60 pound of pistol powder in 9mm so that is a lot of rounds. Somewhere around 90-100,000 round without a primer going off. 

Years ago I read somewhere not to use federal primers in the 650 because they are softer

i picked up my 650 around 1995 and since then I’ve popped 1 primer in it

its a good idea to clean the primer tube every so often, I also spray silicone spray on the primer disk and primer feed assembly and let it dry to clean and wash away any gunk or residue 

• 2 weeks later...