Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited optic load

LO load development   

43 members have voted

1. 1. LO load development

• light bullets 125 or lighter
    • heavy bullets 135 or heavier

17 minutes ago, Chillywig said:

So what's the secret load I need to be using? Light bullets, heavy bullets, fast powder, slow powder?  

IMO, that's a lot of questions/variables that only YOU can answer depending on your likes/dislikes........

My MPA really likes the 124 JHP with VV N330 per my bench results:

👍

IMG_6943.JPG

6 hours ago, Chillywig said:

So what's the secret load I need to be using? Light bullets, heavy bullets, fast powder, slow powder?  

What do you use in other guns?
What bullets/powder you got on hand?
What type of grip is your gun? gun weight can play a part as well. With minor PF though alum grips are probably fine

Like mentioned above, personal preference.  Do you like a snappy return, or lazier recoil impulse?  I prefer quicker dot return and lighter bullets seem to give that over the heavier bullets.  

Funny thing.  I developed a load for my Atlas Athena, and it came out to be 4.2 gr of N320 using 124 gr JHP, with an OAL of 1.115.  I ran across some paper work cleaning up the reloading room and it was a document from Atlas outlining what reloads work well in the for all of their guns including the Athena and it was the exact load I landed on.  

I will probably play with some more load development for the stock of coated 125 gr bullets to see what the Athena likes for those.  Most likely will start with 4.0 and 4.1 gr of Sport Pistol, and compare dot movement between that the the JHP recipe.  I typically see Sport Pistol and N320 almost identical gr for gr, and find that due to the soft nature of the coated bullets .1-.2 gr less of powder is required for a similar PF for the coated bullets.

Like mentioned above, personal preference.  Do you like a snappy return, or lazier recoil impulse?  I prefer quicker dot return and lighter bullets seem to give that over the heavier bullets.  

Funny thing.  I developed a load for my Atlas Athena, and it came out to be 4.2 gr of N320 using 124 gr JHP, with an OAL of 1.115.  I ran across some paper work cleaning up the reloading room and it was a document from Atlas outlining what reloads work well in the for all of their guns including the Athena and it was the exact load I landed on.  

I will probably play with some more load development for the stock of coated 125 gr bullets to see what the Athena likes for those.  Most likely will start with 4.0 and 4.1 gr of Sport Pistol, and compare dot movement between that the the JHP recipe.  I typically see Sport Pistol and N320 almost identical gr for gr, and find that due to the soft nature of the coated bullets .1-.2 gr less of powder is required for a similar PF for the coated bullets.

6 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

VV N330

I want to play with some N330, but I have so much N320 I cannot justify moving off it.  The last thing I want is to fall in love the N330 and want to replace the N320.  😆

1 hour ago, Boomstick303 said:

I want to play with some N330, but I have so much N320 I cannot justify moving off it.  The last thing I want is to fall in love the N330 and want to replace the N320.  😆

I was in the same boat.....and still have many pounds of N320 sealed in a climate controlled room.  Don't think it'll go stale...........

;)

12 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

I'm interested in what you find out.  I have quite a bit of N320 and SP and eager to find the desired load for my Artemis I'm getting shortly..  I feel I'm overthinking the whole process and will stick to 4.1ish of N320 under a painted 124rn

3 hours ago, Bdh821 said:

4.1ish of N320 under a painted 124rn

Sounds about right I would think.  I would load 4.0 - 4.2 and see which load agrees with the dot movement best.  

I found if Plated bullets are not splitting the difference between coated and FMJ/JHP they lean closer to coated  regarding powder charge for a similar PF in my limited testing. 

I will let you know what I find with the coated once that testing is done.

Posted (edited)

I'm tempted to load up a 115 125 147 load all at 129pf to test. But I'm not sure I'm really good enough to feel see realize what's best. 

The gun is a 4-in prodigy with OEM grip. I've got about every 9 mm bullet weight profile etc. I like to overthink reloading and testing ammo. It just seems to blow my mind where for as long as I can remember production Shooters needed to have 147 GR bullets. I was in the group. Used them in PCC too. But now I'm starting to feel like I like the lighter bullets. I'm sure somebody has done all of the Witchcraft Brewing in this process. And just thought I'd ask if anyone has the receipts to back this up?

Edited by Chillywig

Check out whatever's the hotness in CO.  They've been playing minor-nocomp-dot for years now.  In 2022 (IDK if 2023 is out yet) at CO nats the break was about 40% 147gr , 30% 124/125gr

Light bullets will be snappier.  Heavy bullets will be softer.  Either will have the slide back into battery way before you can pull the trigger again.

On 1/8/2024 at 7:42 AM, Bdh821 said:

I'm interested in what you find out.  I have quite a bit of N320 and SP and eager to find the desired load for my Artemis I'm getting shortly..  I feel I'm overthinking the whole process and will stick to 4.1ish of N320 under a painted 124rn

What OAL are you using with the 4.1 of N320? 

I just chronod some N320 with 124 grain coated bullets yesterday testing 3.9, 4.0 and 4.1 grains with OAL of 1.14 thru my Sig 320 X5 and got PF's of 120 to 126. I thought it would be higher than that. Don't know if I should bump it up to 4.2 grains or shorten the OAL.

I was at 1.125” and using brass monkey 125rn and if I remember correctly, 128ish PF. I’d prob bump back up to 4.2 just to be safe as I feel the recoil difference is negligible. I tested indoors also as it’s winter here. I also have a pre Legion X5 when they were quality built..

Edited by Bdh821

2 hours ago, Bdh821 said:

I was at 1.125” and using brass monkey 125rn and if I remember correctly, 128ish PF. I’d prob bump back up to 4.2 just to be safe as I feel the recoil difference is negligible. I tested indoors also as it’s winter here. I also have a pre Legion X5 when they were quality built..

Thanks for the info. I'll probably try 4.2 at 1.13" and see what PF I get.

P.s. I also have a pre-legion x5, bought in the first month's it was released. Has shot great all these years. Only thing I don't like is that it only takes the Romeo1 unless I use a plate. 

11 minutes ago, LHshooter said:

Thanks for the info. I'll probably try 4.2 at 1.13" and see what PF I get.

P.s. I also have a pre-legion x5, bought in the first month's it was released. Has shot great all these years. Only thing I don't like is that it only takes the Romeo1 unless I use a plate. 

I had mine milled by someone to fit the DPP a footprint. I forget who tho 

5 hours ago, Bdh821 said:

I had mine milled by someone to fit the DPP a footprint. I forget who tho 

I ended up buying a Rival Arms slide that was milled for the RMR/SRO footprint and have a Holosun 507c on it.