Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited optics ultimate build

kewi

@kewi  Here is some additional advice.  Do your transition testing on a steel challenge range, and on the clock.  Steel Challenge is ALL about transitions.  SCSA is all surrender draw, but you can scoop draw for your practice.  Smoke & Hope, Speed Option and Five to Go are stages with wide transitions.

Load 10 rounds in each mag and have at it.  Record your string times and compare.  After about 20 strings with each gun, you will know which is fastest.   Talk to good SCSA shooters.  They will tell you a light gun transitions fast, but is harder to stop without overshooting.  A heavy gun will stop on a dime, but is slower to move.  You have to find the right balance.  That's why I recommended you try other peoples guns.  

Since this is practice, do some strings as double taps.  You may need more than 10 in a mag for that.

On 1/13/2024 at 3:10 AM, kewi said:

I’ve tested both similar setups but with an open gun. One has a polymer grip which i’ll refer to as the (high performance) setup and the other one with a steel grip (soft shooting) setup..i would say i love the lighter setup felt like i was faster with it but man, the metal grip really does settle the dot better..Now i’m looking for a setup thats an “in-between” the two you posted..4.6” , full dust cover, steel grip w/ al mainspring and al magwell maybe?

CHA-LEE If you were to have a lim optic gun what features would you want to have?

I have several Limited Optics Setups and have posted about them on this forum. I have shot a bunch of different setups and prefer lighter ones. If someone is going to buy a gun already built for Limited Optics I would suggest the Atlas Athena. That blaster is setup perfectly for 9mm Minor and Limited Optics.

3 hours ago, Eli_a said:

For the folks getting 2011s built for LO, are you going with backup irons or just dot ? 

I’m sure very few, if any, care about backup irons for LO. My Prodigy only has backup irons because it came with them otherwise it wouldn’t. And my LO gun being built won’t have them at all

11 hours ago, Silent said:

I’m sure very few, if any, care about backup irons for LO. My Prodigy only has backup irons because it came with them otherwise it wouldn’t. And my LO gun being built won’t have them at all

Same here, if my prodigy didn't already have them I wouldn't mess with them.