Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dealing with water spots on wet washed brass.

So I just started wet washing brass and I use a evaporator to get rid of the water in the wash water and all I have left is the solids. So the brass after cleaning and drying has spots which don't bother me but I do sell a couple thousand here and there. Anyone using distilled water for a final rinse to get rid of the spots? Anyone using a product like Jet Dry in the final rinse water and would it leave anything harmful to powder in cases that are not shot for years??? Anyone have another product that does not harm powder after reloading that doesn't leave a bad residue. Ingredients below. Can anyone think of a reason any of these chemicals will harm a loaded round. Most people use citric acid to clean brass with a detergent.

Water, Sodium Cumene Sulfonate, Alcohol Ethoxylate, C12-15 Alcohols Ethoxylated Propoxylated, Trideceth-3, Citric Acid, Zinc Acetate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Colorant.

to get rid of the spots you will need to know what the spots are.. That looks like ingredients for jet dry... generally in glass dishes in the dishwasher, spots are caused by calcium,, a base.. an acidic solution will rinse them off.  You can skip the jet dry and use 50%  white vinegar and 50% water in a dishwasher..   I only know this because we make our own laundry  detergent and are looking to expand to dishwasher detergent and I JUST looked this stuff up last night..
So maybe a spoon full of vinegar, see what happens.  

But for the record I still dont get this gazzillion step wet washing wet tumbling steel rods stuff,,, I mean I have sprayed muddy brass down with a hose in a sifter and let it dry before tumbling...  vut jeesh still cant grasp what this does my 30 year old Dillon corn cob media tumbler doesnt in a 10th the steps.

Turtle Wax wash-n-wax, Armorall wash and wax or just about any car wash and wax soap in with your washing solution will help shed off the water spots. I dump mine out on a towel and roll them a bit before putting them into the dryer and I think that helps a lot too. I like the slickness the wax provides especially when flairing the brass. 

Edited by Farmer
Added

9 hours ago, Joe4d said:

to get rid of the spots you will need to know what the spots are.. That looks like ingredients for jet dry... generally in glass dishes in the dishwasher, spots are caused by calcium,, a base.. an acidic solution will rinse them off.  You can skip the jet dry and use 50%  white vinegar and 50% water in a dishwasher..   I only know this because we make our own laundry  detergent and are looking to expand to dishwasher detergent and I JUST looked this stuff up last night..
So maybe a spoon full of vinegar, see what happens.  

But for the record I still dont get this gazzillion step wet washing wet tumbling steel rods stuff,,, I mean I have sprayed muddy brass down with a hose in a sifter and let it dry before tumbling...  vut jeesh still cant grasp what this does my 30 year old Dillon corn cob media tumbler doesnt in a 10th the steps.

I dont use pins just hot water and a detergent. Actually the first wash went well other than the spots. I wash in a cement mixer and will probably settle on 2-3 hours and rinse. I will try white vinegar and see if it helps.

2 hours ago, Farmer said:

Turtle Wax wash-n-wax, Armorall wash and wax or just about any car wash and wax soap in with your washing solution will help shed off the water spots. I dump mine out on a towel and roll them a bit before putting them into the dryer and I think that helps a lot too. I like the slickness the wax provides especially when flairing the brass. 

I will look into those products. I use a Redding expander die to expand my brass on the case processing machine and it really helps with ther bullets not falling over going from bullet drop to bullet seating.

16 hours ago, esquared said:

I dont use pins just hot water and a detergent. Actually the first wash went well other than the spots. I wash in a cement mixer and will probably settle on 2-3 hours and rinse. I will try white vinegar and see if it helps.

Either vinegar, Lemi-Shine or citric acid. In my small tumbler I use a gallon of hot water, a heaping 1/4 tsp of Lemi Shine and an ounce or two of turtle wax depending on how dirty they are. If really grungy I’ll add the pins. My bro in law gave me some plow wax that they use on the snow plows to keep the snow from sticking. It works well in the rinse to prevent spots and slick things up. Problem is, I don’t know who makes it. So if you know somebody who works with snow removal equipment they may know about it. I’m trying to find out who makes it and if a person can order it. 

Edited by Farmer
Added

Only thing I will add is that if you think you have enough citric acid you probably used too much, it just takes a sprinkle (in a typical wet tumbler).  I think too much is also contributing to the brass being difficult to size, but that is just seat of the pants feelings on my part, trying to remember how much I used in a given batch. 

I make the brass as dry as possible before thowing in dehydrators. Also you cant crowd the brass in dehydrators, if they are they wont fully dry. I have 3 dehydrators 1 is not as warm so it will run 3-4 hours on 223 2-3 on pistol. The other 2 run 2 hours

6 hours ago, mmc45414 said:

Only thing I will add is that if you think you have enough citric acid you probably used too much, it just takes a sprinkle (in a typical wet tumbler).  I think too much is also contributing to the brass being difficult to size, but that is just seat of the pants feelings on my part, trying to remember how much I used in a given batch. 

You are correct on that. I just noticed that I didn’t get the “1/4” in my teaspoon measurement above so corrected it. I also think the car wax adds a bit of buffer/surfactant to it also. The first batch I tried with just Lemi and Dawn came out very clean but very dry (squeaky clean). That’s why I added the wax. I process everything beforehand anyway so it’s already sized but the wax seems to keep the brass from tarnishing in storage and slides on the expander a bit easier. If you have hard water the acid helps combat that to help with the water spots. 

I fooled around with this for quite awhile. Got tired of trying so just switched to brass juice. Works better for me and no pins either.👍

On 1/5/2024 at 1:04 PM, Sarge said:

I fooled around with this for quite awhile. Got tired of trying so just switched to brass juice. Works better for me and no pins either.👍

I am trying the brass juice and it works well. 2 hour run and it is clean inside as well as outside. The smell reminds me of simple green and the off color makes me wonder it is is simple green, dawn and citric acid. Wonder if anyone has ever used simple green to clean brass?

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/6/2024 at 10:44 AM, mmc45414 said:

Also, I bought one of these for my dryer and it sure has been handy.

Timer.jpg

Have the same ones. work well

• 2 weeks later...