Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EOTECH EXPS vs ROMEO 3XL ?

Happy new year everyone, 

With my new PCC coming soon, I’ve got the research and buy itch and currently trying to pick the best optic for the job.

I'm torn between an EXPS and a Romeo 3XL.

Vastly different, I know…. But still having trouble deciding.

I have an Eotech on my 556 rifle and like it. I do have a slight astigmatism so it blooms but just a little. Not really even a bloom, but just the outer ring is not as crisp as can be..

I do find w the eotech it’s easier for me to be target focused as I find it “projects” easier on to a target than a red dot.

That said, I know a lot of ppl use and like the 3XL. I like the big glass too.

i know sig not the best reliability wise, but imagine on a soft shooting 9mm PCC that shouldn’t be much of an issue.

Any opinions from the experts here?

I run SRO's on my PCC and they've been 100% for me. I used to run a Sig Romeo 8H which is somewhat comparable to an Eotech in form factor, but it was quite heavy. I've heard of longevity issues with the SIG 3XLs, but that's purely anecdotal from people I've talked to at local matches. 

2 hours ago, LarryL said:

but just the outer ring is not as crisp as can be..

This is always the case with every Holographic optics.  They are always grainy/not sharp.  If you are using the optic correctly as in target focused you never notice this.  

I run both EOTech EXPS and Sig Romeo 3 XL optics on numerous guns.  I run the 3 XL mostly on pistols, but would not hesitate to run them on my PCC.  I for whatever reason shoot steel way better with the EOTech with its dot circle combo reticle versus just a single dot.  I cannot tell you why that is the case, it is what it is.  

Sig seems to have fixed their button issues which seemed to be the biggest reliability bug with the optic, so if you were to buy new I think there would not be much of a reliability issue with the XL.

I think it really comes down to if you want a dot or a dot and circle reticle.  If you are on the fence maybe you do look into the Holosun 510C which was my first optic on my PCC which was great.  With the Holosun you can determine which reticle works best as you can switch from just a dot, to just a circle, or a combo of the circle and the dot.  Play around with that and you will find which one you prefer.

For me at the end of the day, I wanted consistency of optics on my rifles, so any rifle that does not have an LPVO gets the EOTech which includes the PCC.  This way all of my rifles are the same.  

I so far have preferred the Sig Romeo 3 XL on my pistols for a variety of reason.  The main reason is the dot is always crisp even with my astigmatism.  I will test and play with other optics, but I always come back to the XL as my optic of choice on pistols.  

Good luck in your search. 

Edited by Boomstick303
21 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

This is always the case with every Holographic optics.  They are always grainy/not sharp.  If you are using the optic correctly as in target focused you never notice this.  

I run both EOTech EXPS and Sig Romeo 3 XL optics on numerous guns.  I run the 3 XL mostly on pistols, but would not hesitate to run them on my PCC.  I for whatever reason shoot steel way better with the EOTech with its dot circle combo reticle versus just a single dot.  I cannot tell you why that is the case, it is what it is.  

Sig seems to have fixed their button issues which seemed to be the biggest reliability bug with the optic, so if you were to buy new I think there would not be much of a reliability issue with the XL.

I think it really comes down to if you want a dot or a dot and circle reticle.  If you are on the fence maybe you do look into the Holosun 510C which was my first optic on my PCC which was great.  With the Holosun you can determine which reticle works best as you can switch from just a dot, to just a circle, or a combo of the circle and the dot.  Play around with that and you will find which one you prefer.

For me at the end of the day, I wanted consistency of optics on my rifles, so any rifle that does not have an LPVO gets the EOTech which includes the PCC.  This way all of my rifles are the same.  

I so far have preferred the Sig Romeo 3 XL on my pistols for a variety of reason.  The main reason is the dot is always crisp even with my astigmatism.  I will test and play with other optics, but I always come back to the XL as my optic of choice on pistols.  

Good luck in your search. 

Thanks for the response.

regarding the Holosun, wouldn’t the EXPS project better since it’s a Hws and not a dot?

On 1/1/2024 at 4:41 PM, LarryL said:

regarding the Holosun, wouldn’t the EXPS project better since it’s a Hws and not a dot?

To be honest, I didn't note any difference once on the clock.  There are some benefits to the Holo vs dot, but the only one that might apply to you astigmatism is the Holographic should not burst.  Like I said before the reticles in holographic optics are grainy but they do not bloom unlike what I have experienced with various dots.  The only other real benefit is the EOTech is enclosed where the 510C is not.  I ran into an issue only one time where that mattered over the last 3 years.  If you compete in areas with snow or rain often the enclosed optic might be the better option otherwise it's a wash between them other than price point in my eyes.   

Something to note, astigmatisms are different from person to person, so I cannot say if you will have issues with the 510c dot blooming for your astigmatism.  I will say that you would be buying a cheaper optic in the Holosun 510C and be able to sell it for close to cost if you chose to move on from it.  If you do go the 510C route, buy the riser plate that raises the optic.  You will be glad you did.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Boomstick303
2 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

To be honest, I did note any difference once on the clock.  There are some benefits to the Holo vs dot, but the only one that might apply to you astigmatism is the Holographic should not burst.  Like I said before the reticles in holographic optics are grainy they do not bloom unlike I have experienced with various dots.  The only other real benefit is the EOTech is enclosed where the 510C is not.  I ran into an issue only one time where that mattered over the last 3 years.  If you compete in areas with snow or rain often the enclosed optic might be the better option otherwise it's a wash between them other than price point in my eyes.   

Something to note, astigmatisms are different from person to person, so I cannot say if you will have issues with the 510c dot blooming for your astigamatism.  I will say that you would be buying a cheaper optic in the Holosun 510C and be able to sell it for close to cost if you chose to move on from it.  If you do go the 510C route, buy the riser plate that raises the optic.  You will be glad you did.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. 

was also looking into risers for the eotech (which Im leaning towards).

what are your thoughts on those. I use the standard mount the exps comes w on my ar, but I do have to really get down and hunched into.

considering something like the unity. I’m sure the Lerna is even more comfortable, but looks horrible and not sure how well those run for competitions 

11 hours ago, LarryL said:

was also looking into risers for the eotech (which Im leaning towards).

If you go with the  EXPS model It is not required.  For competition reason I would not use one with the EXPS due to the fact you would have a rather larger height over bore for your optic.  I do not find it uncomfortable as I have the buttstock high and on the inside part of my collar bone (not in my shoulder pocket as many teach) so I have little to zero noticeable head dip. 

If you do choose to go that route with a riser make sure you practice a bit to get the understanding of the height over bore at different distances as you will incur penalties if you do not have a good grasp of that concept.  

For my AR I use the Unity Tactical riser for the EXPS and the EOTech magnifier.  Highly recommended if you go with the magnifier as it keeps the optic system extremely streamlined.  I have a pretty good grasp of the height over bore when I use the AR for competition.  

I can switch back and forth between the PCC and the AR without issue to keep shots on target.  

On 1/1/2024 at 2:04 PM, LarryL said:

I have an Eotech on my 556 rifle and like it.

Boom, you answered it yourself.

Honestly I've been trying to get away from Halographic sights myself, mostly because I wanted something that didn't have the large outer ring. But everytime I put on a reddot optic on my PCC I just don't shoot it as fast as the UH-1. 

• 4 weeks later...

I was a big downer on the Holosun products just because of their origin.  I now have two pistols that the previous owners installed Holosun optics on and their dot is as good or better than my DPP and SRO.  I won't change them unless they fail.