Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to PCC w a question about mags

Hey Gang,

just ordered my first PCC after 2 years of competitive shooting w handguns and couldn’t be more excited. 

Because I’m new to PCC I have some noob questions, and hoping you can point me in the right direction.

The PCC I bought (TR9) takes standard Glock mags, but can someone point me towards what are considered the best Glock mags for PCC? 

Stick with the OEM Glock mags, they last longer and are built better. The magpul, ETS and other brands are just plastic whereas the Glock has metal reinforcement inside.
There are knockoff mags that look just like the Glock mags but are super cheap, made in Korea mostly - stay away from them, lots of issues.

Good luck
29 minutes ago, WxGuy said:

(with TTI extensions for me).

When using the TTI extensions, make sure that you keep your OAL under 1.1250.  If the OAL is longer you risk the chance of hanging up in the extension.  I keep my OAL at 1.12 to make sure that I have zero feeding issue.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

i guess another thought that came to mind is: i live in the commie state of NJ where we are limited to 10rd mags…

are standard Glock 10 rounders too short/uncomfortable for PCC competition use?

should I stick with 10s, or go for a longer stick and pin it so that it’s more comfortable for PCC use?

Also, does anyone have experience with Cross Armory Glock mag couplers???

The 10 round glock mags "disappear" inside of my JP5 + magwell, which makes it awkward to reload with. I would go for the big sticks and pin it or put a blocker inside of it since it'll be easier to grab. However, it might be look a bit funny with you carrying 4-5 big sticks on your belt running around. I've seen some people use G17 mags + base plates which might be a good compromise, but generally the point of PCC is you don't have to reload ;)

In case you haven't seen, there's another recent thread discussing magazines and extensions: 

Borrow different mags from your shooting buddies and try them.  My PCC came with an SMS mag.  Didn't like it.  I bought Glock mags.  They worked but were finicky.  Tried ETS 17 and 40 round mags and they worked the best.  Absolutely 100% function.

The ETS are transparent.  I like that because I can tell when it is time to clean the mags.  I've used six 17 round ETS mags loaded to 10 rounds for years (SCSA) with no issues.  I tried the Glock mags with extensions and had issues with all of them.  The 40 round ETS is reloadable with 40 and much lighter than mags with a metal extension.  I drop them on the ground at monster matches and have never had a problem with them.

On 12/29/2023 at 8:31 AM, LarryL said:

are standard Glock 10 rounders too short/uncomfortable for PCC competition use?

Yes I would think so, especially is one hung up upon ejection.  I would run longer mags and figure out how to install limiters/spaces in the mags.  Not sure if New Jersey allows such mags.  I have had someone 3-D print up new floor plate inserts with extra material that only allow 15 rounds in the magazine for carry guns I have.