Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who's stoked about the new Tisas Night Stalker 2011?

notanoperator993

None of my distributors has the Mac yet.  Tisas are just now rolling to distributors.  If you want a 4.25" Tisas, there are some available but the 5" is a harder find.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, shred said:

None of my distributors has the Mac yet.  Tisas are just now rolling to distributors.  If you want a 4.25" Tisas, there are some available but the 5" is a harder find.

If I picked one up it would be the Night Stalker variant.

13 hours ago, mreed911 said:

If I picked one up it would be the Night Stalker variant.

That one is the most interesting of the batch (excepting the MAC if it comes with a different scope plate) for the threaded barrel.  1911s can be a bit finicky with suppressors though.  I'll give this one a shot when I get over whatever Ebola I have now.  For LO use the small dot footprint is a bit limiting.

20 hours ago, shred said:

MAC if it comes with a different scope plate...LO use the small dot footprint is a bit limiting.

From what I've read the MAC ships with an RMR plate. Other plates are supposed to be on the way. 

The Tisas is directly cut for the Shield RMSc footprint as is the Girsan. The difference here is that the Tisas has a stand alone rear sight. The Girsan has no such offering.

3 hours ago, Tokarev said:

The Tisas is directly cut for the Shield RMSc footprint as is the Girsan. The difference here is that the Tisas has a stand alone rear sight. The Girsan has no such offering.

I don't much care one way or the other on that, but some people get all religious about it.  I think the Girsan would be slightly easier to re-machine for a larger dot footprint and if somebody makes one you could get an adjustable rear plate for it but I doubt many people are going to do either.

8 hours ago, Tokarev said:

From what I've read the MAC ships with an RMR plate.

The pre-production press was confusing - I'd seen RMR and RMSc/K, then I'd seen cut for RMSc/K but with an RMR plate, then just RMR plate.  Will be interesting to see what actually ships.

Got a 4.25 MAC in.  A bit nicer fit and finish compared to the Tisas Night Stalker.  Slide to frame fit on this one is a bit tighter, but the trigger pull is a bit heavier.  The trigger bow is nicer although long if you have small hands.

The grip texture is somehow even slipperier than the Tisas.   Same size ambi thumb safeties.

Bull barrel and FLGR this time, still very heavily sprung.  Oddly the slide takedown notch is quite bit further rearward than the Tisas.  That is slightly annoying if you like to poke your finger in the ejection port to help pop the slide stop out.

Dot plate is indeed for a RMR footprint (partial recoil lugs for no discernable reason) with a BUIS in a dovetail behind.  I don't recognize the slide cut, but it's not complicated.  

Some amusing translations in the manual.  The Mainspring Housing Pin is labelled "cock bracket pin" in the magwell instructions.

IMO as a base-gun for a LO build, it's close to the 4.25" Prodigy especially for a couple bills less and included RMR plate.  Fix up the trigger, bigger magwell if you like, do something about the grip (tape/carbide/etc), throw on a dot, re-spring and get some 140 mags.

I recently bought a tisas 1911 and a guy was showing me one of their 2011s. Comparing it to my prodigy, I didn't think overall it was as good. Of course it was an example of one

Their 1911 that I got seemed way better put together than the 2011. I don't think the 2011 was The night stalker variant, it was a four and a quarter inch gun.

Still probably a solid gun to build on though

25 minutes ago, shred said:

Slide to frame fit on this one is a bit tighter, but the trigger pull is a bit heavier.

8# Girsan heavier, or 5-6# out of the box heavier?

25 minutes ago, shred said:

Oddly the slide takedown notch is quite bit further rearward than the Tisas. 

I had to go look at pics of them to see this and you're right.  They are.  That's strange.  I wonder why that is?

MAC_12500005_2__86914.thumb.jpg.dd4a46c760f586936bae0333bbfb869b.jpgTISAS_12500006_2__51812.thumb.png.929a214c850ca02dd3ee1e0172ceb1d8.png

Just now, RJH said:

I recently bought a tisas 1911 and a guy was showing me one of their 2011s. Comparing it to my prodigy, I didn't think overall it was as good. Of course it was an example of one

Their 1911 that I got seemed way better put together than the 2011. I don't think the 2011 was The night stalker variant, it was a four and a quarter inch gun.

Still probably a solid gun to build on though

Could you make it on par or better with out spending more than the 400 or dollar difference in the two?

2 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

Could you make it on par or better with out spending more than the 400 or dollar difference in the two?

Hear the difference is only a couple of hundred bucks, but I don't really see any reason you couldn't do some tuning and maybe throw some springs in it and call it good. Just depend on how far you wanted to go.

Just the overall feel and finish of the gun seemed off, even compared to a lower end gun like The prodigy

Would probably definitely want to do something to that grip though, some grip tape would be enough on the cheap, some stippling or something if you wanted to get more involved. And I'm not a grip snob, other than putting one little piece of tape under the trigger guard my prodigy is just stock texturing on the grip

Maybe kind of clunky overall is the technical word I'm looking for LOL. And it's odd because I really like the tisas 1911

3 minutes ago, RJH said:

my prodigy is just stock texturing on the grip

I don't remember where I saw this, but the design of the Prodigy grip surface is something around "light grip with a light touch, more grippy the harder you grip it" in terms of the surface of the grip texture and how it's designed to set into your hand.

Edit: Found it: https://store.springfield-armory.com/echelon-grip-module/ - look for Adaptive Grip Texture.

57 minutes ago, mreed911 said:

I don't remember where I saw this, but the design of the Prodigy grip surface is something around "light grip with a light touch, more grippy the harder you grip it" in terms of the surface of the grip texture and how it's designed to set into your hand.

Edit: Found it: https://store.springfield-armory.com/echelon-grip-module/ - look for Adaptive Grip Texture.

Although I would generally say that was marketing bs, I think it pretty much holds true in this instance LOL

It's supposed to be the same texture on the echelons but they feel slippery compared to my prodigy,  I don't know if it's a difference in the material the grip is made out of or what

1 hour ago, mreed911 said:

8# Girsan heavier, or 5-6# out of the box heavier?

Not "is this thing broken?" Girsan style, but probably 6-ish.

1 hour ago, mreed911 said:

I had to go look at pics of them to see this and you're right.  They are.  That's strange.  I wonder why that is?

I can't think of a good reason, especially as there's a GI spec for that kind of thing.  No other 1911 or 2011 I've run across does it that way.

1 hour ago, Racinready300ex said:

Depends on what you want and how you want to fix the grips I think.   Trigger on both probably can be tuned on the stock parts to 'decent' and it's likely new parts for 'great' either way.   Likewise magwells and triggers are a personal-fit thing.  I think Prodigy grips are match-ready grip-wise.

If you're cool with a $10 DIY sand-epoxy or soldering-iron grip job, you could buy an extra 1500 rounds of ammo, but there could still be unknown bugs to work through like the Prodigy scope screws hitting the extractor and the like.