Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Picking The Perfect Match Hotel

kimel

So most of the major matches for 2006 are being planned and one thing that seems to always be a subject of discussion is the old "Match Hotel". Let's hear what you think!

Very critical - a "shooter-friendly" atmosphere and staff.

A number of years ago, at an Area I for which I MD'd, we'd negotiated an attractive package at a H_mpton I-n near the range - or so we thought. When people started signing in, the manager (not his minion who'd worked with us to put together the package) has liberally pasted the facility with "please leave your guns in your cars" placards (read that as "please car prowl our lot").

Too late to relocate, we did NOT return the following year, and we never will.

Other top priorities - brewpub within walking distance, brewpub within walking distance, brewpub within walking distance...and Starbucks drive-through en route to the range :lol:

n2ipsc - It never even dawned on me that the Hotel staff would diss their patrons, but I guess it happened.

When I'm looking for a Hotel to stay in I'm looking for a few plus's.

1. Easy to find.

2. Cleanliness

3. Safe

4. Close to match

Usually to get the above you'll have to pay a little more. That's fine with me. My safety and guns are worth more that the additional $20 a night.

After my last stay at the Hotel Elkton in Quincy, "Cleanliness" has become pretty important.... :lol:

I agree with Ron on his four points - gun friendly definitely helps, too, but they don't need to know what and if I have 'em anyway, IMO. Anything else is gravy, really - and I'll stay further away and pay more to be in a safe neighborhood with some amenities (food - esp. breakfast, Starbucks if possible, after match activities like a movie house, etc).

All I want in a match hotel is

A clean quiet place to sleep

That comes at a good price

And a good set of directions to the hotel, range, and then a good place for beer and food.

After that -- doesn't matter much.

Of the available choices, cleanliness, broadband internet access and lotsa' parking were my choices.

I would elaborate with some additional points.

- Good security in the hotel and in the parking area. In general I want the place to be in a nice part of town and to not be a dive.

- Easy access into the room with lotsa' gear. Useable carts and elevators go a long way towards getting the gack in and out, especially for 3 gunnin'.

- In room refrigerators/kitchenettes are a boon too.

- Cable TV with HBO or some decent selection of channels

- Pet friendliness matters to me because my wife and I always travel to matches with our cat

- I like lotsa' large towels and a bed that doesn't cause me to wake up with a crick in my lower back. The higher end places have mostly realized that the quality of the bed matters to the guests. The el-cheapo joints have mostly not :-(

The way I figure it is that I am already spending $200+ on match fees, usually at least that again on ammo. Another $200+ on mileage/fuel. Another $200 on food and libation. Let's not even talk about the time away from generating income. I am travelling with family, large amounts of personal electronics and a collection of blasters worth quite a lot to me. Why cheap out on accomodations at this point? I will pay a little to a lot more for Clean, Safe, and Luxurious (in that order) every time.

I like to let my wife negotiate with the hotel and quite often the suites and spa rooms at the better places are the way to go if the match has been intelligently scheduled at a slow time for the town in question because great rates can quite often be had on the higher end rooms by just asking. Additional luxury and a nice big place to clean the guns at night can be a real blessing after a few match days. The Spa/Suite level of room usually comes with a King size bed too.

My take is that most match hotels tend to be lower end establishments as if we are all trying to save a buck ninety five, or something. Give me a break and start picking classy joints for the match digs. A lot of us travel with wives and family so a nicer place is always a plus. As the math above shows, an extra 40-50 bucks a night shouldn't be that big an issue to enjoy the match experience at a higher level.

San Antonio host the Sporting Clay & Skeet National events and the Sportsman's Team Challenge. and a variety of events

The local scum makes out great on break ins at hotels

one Hotel problem is Shooters stickers on car windows. with so many shoots being held the Criminal elimat knows the drill and sometimes folows shooters from the event to the Restarant or hotel. = acording to the police.

What I look for in the hotel when i travel is being able to bring most every thing out of & back to the car eazy

National Shooting Complexe in SA they now have a big lock up building for shooters guns.

Robbey with S&W even had his car broken into on the shooting grounds.

The hotels will not share break in information even when asked sometimes.

This poll is all dependent on one question. Is the wife going? Cause if she is, money is no object. Several years ago several of my shooting buds and I were going to a neighboring state for a sectional match. At the last minute the wife decides to go. Someone else had made the reservations. I paid for two rooms that night. Thank God we had driven ourselves. Would have been a long walk carrying all the baggage.

I want a safe enviroment. No wrong side of the tracks.

A pool is nice. See Barry, IL read, hot and humid.

Close to food and refreshment.

I will drive a couple of minutes further to the match. To get these.

• 2 weeks later...
Where is the selection:

Proximity to "adult entertainment" :o:ph34r:

Not for me just thinking of others. B)

Right! While some of us are studing the Bible and such others need to see women dancing to music. It may be part of their prematch routine and that allows them to extract maximum performance on race day.

Maybe I will try it someday; just to see if it helped or not. :P

FM