Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 1100 Major Powder Spillage

Dillon 1100 with Mark 7 Auto-drive. Reloading 9mm major with AA7 10.5, so case is almost full. When the shellplate is full, after the powder is dropped, there is a severe clunk/jerk in the shell plate and the powder in the case goes flying everywhere leaving the case almost half full. My actions: I removed shell plate, and the indexing pawl, cleaned under the plate and top of the surface where the plate rides. Ball bearing has the perfect bounce. Cleaned the indexing pawl and reinstalled paying close attention to shell plate tightness. Resumed reloading and for the first 10 rounds or so no issues. All of a sudden the jerk again. What else could it be?

Yes.  Using the FW Arms plate.  As far as speed I am in the lowest speed.  What mod did you do to the lever on station 8?  I also have notice a small hang when ejecting rounds.

Just tweaked the end of it towards station 8 die a bit, make sure you don't tweak it to where it is under the crimp die (or whatever die you have in station 8).  It will get smashed.  Make the tweak adjustment with the tool head down to prevent this.  I have also noted the after market shell plates are so tight the can create issues unlike the more forgiving Dillon Shell plates.  

4 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

I had to tweak the shell ejection lever at station 8 which kicks the loaded ammo off the shell plate.  Also what speed are you running?  Are you using an aftermarket shell plate?

I had to do the same. I had a hard time analyzing what was happening but eventually got some feedback on the Ammobot FB group about it probably hanging up on the ejection tab and then getting spit across the room. And powder flying everywhere as you noted.

I've never figured out why it did it when running automated but it worked fine manually.

As far as the index pawl is concerned there can be a fairly large gouge in it, it will look suspect, but it will often still work just fine.

4 minutes ago, Chapo said:

Replaced it and so far so good. We’ll see

IMG_4100.jpeg

That's a bigger gouge than I've seen on my units. In my experience they do get a bit of a gouge initially but then little further wear. Maybe that is the problem...

2 hours ago, Chapo said:

Seems like using the mark 7 and hitting the calibrate button really puts a dent 

Using the calibration function should not dent any parts of the press.  If it is something else is going on.  The reason for the Calibration process is the press is analyzing what a normal stroke looks like so it calibrates the motor to stop the down stroke at the appropriate spot.  Make sure your torque sense is set properly.  If it is set to high, I could see a a scenario where the press could become damaged.

1 hour ago, Tom Freeman said:

The locating and ball can also make things shake/jiggle.  I trim the spring back a little bit to make the shellplate have less "snap" when going into place.

The case ejector could also need adjusting.

Makes sense…

4 hours ago, Tom Freeman said:

I trim the spring back a little bit to make the shellplate have less "snap" when going into place.

I've heard that before and have considered that but never got to the point where it was a strong enough consideration. Having seen how much powder can spray from even a half loaded case I could imagine that would be a reasonable thing to try.

51 minutes ago, Chapo said:

Thanks. I have something similar from FW arms. 

I think the Arredondo is a little different, though I haven’t used the FW locators.  The Arredondo is soft rubber that maintains contact with the cases that buffers the movement.  It made a significant improvement on powder spillage for me.

Prawls are damaged when the press tries to force the indexing. Most of the time its one of 3 things...

1 - Case exiting the shell plate is getting hung up on the ejector tab. 

2 - Case entering the shell plate gets hung up. 

3 - Messed up primer on insertion dragging on the frame. 

Usually, it takes quite a few of each of these to really damage a prawl. 

For what its worst... most of my prawls look worse than what you have shown above and I don't get spillage loading 9 major at 1800/hr. Something else might be a little messed up internally with your indexing system. 

Edited by Maximis228

1 hour ago, Maximis228 said:

Prawls are damaged when the press tries to force the indexing. Most of the time its one of 3 things...

1 - Case exiting the shell plate is getting hung up on the ejector tab. 

2 - Case entering the shell plate gets hung up. 

3 - Messed up primer on insertion dragging on the frame. 

Usually, it takes quite a few of each of these to really damage a prawl. 

For what its worst... most of my prawls look worse than what you have shown above and I don't get spillage loading 9 major at 1800/hr. Something else might be a little messed up internally with your indexing system. 

Oh man don't even say that!!!

On 12/5/2023 at 5:31 PM, Chapo said:

Yes.  Using the FW Arms plate.  As far as speed I am in the lowest speed.  What mod did you do to the lever on station 8?  I also have notice a small hang when ejecting rounds.

@Chapo

Also have to ask if your using the FW Indexing Pawl that comes with their plate?

https://fwarms.com/shop/reloading/shell-plates/indexing-pawl-for-dillon-1050-1100-cp2000/

🤔

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp