Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tubbs 308 flat wire spring with Kynshot 5050ss

Have had great success with the orange Springco/Kynshot 5020ss combo in my PCC.  Going to try David Tubbs 308 flat wire spring in place of the orange Springco.  Anyone else try this pairing?  Technical description for Tubbs flat wire looks promising.  Hopefully his spring will further help manage the recoil impulse.

I have all three of the Kynshot 9mm buffers in different setups and would like to ask a few questions.

I have 9mm PCC's set up for competition and PISTOLS set up for home defense with barrel lengths from 8.5 to 16 inches.  The loads utilized range from 3.0 grn SP and 147's for steel to +P loads for defense and all of them except for one has JP carbine springs.  One has a Tubbs flatwire AR15 spring but haven't spent any time with it yet.

I tried heavier springs and I actually felt like the recoil impulse, especially going back into battery felt harder.  Just curious, have you tried lighter springs?  Have you ever looked at blowback 9's site?

Copterdrvr,  as this is my first PCC no I haven’t tried lighter springs yet.  It seems counterintuitive though that a lighter spring would reduce the recoil impulse.  I don’t think the Tubbs AR10 spring is harder.  Having installed it recently I found the charging effort nearly equal to the orange Springco.  It did feel like a smoother action.  I’ll see at my next range visit how it affects the recoil impulse during shooting.  I’ll check out the blowback 9’s site too.

I'm running the Tubbs AR10 flatwire in an A5 tube and Kynshot 5006 buffer.  It really likes the 5" barrel shrouded to 16" setups.  Both my Wyland and Taccom barreled uppers are now my faves over a 10.5"/6" comped barrel.

• 1 month later...
On 11/23/2023 at 7:55 PM, WxGuy said:

I'm running the Tubbs AR10 flatwire in an A5 tube and Kynshot 5006 buffer.  It really likes the 5" barrel shrouded to 16" setups.  Both my Wyland and Taccom barreled uppers are now my faves over a 10.5"/6" comped barrel.

Very interesting info, WxGuy… I’ve been using a JP Ar10 spring with my KYNSHOT 5015 and 5020, but feel like the stiff spring causes extra movement when bolt closes… I’m going to try the Sprinco and the Tubbs, and compare some notes

• 4 weeks later...

After some extensive range time and testing, the springco Orange ar10 spring is giving best result of smallest groups. Still using A5 tube, 5020 hydro buffer, and no weight in bolt… testing was done at 20 yards, using JP polished ar10 spring, Tubbs flat wire, Springco, and also had the 5015HD w spacer also in mix…

this best combo produced 1.5-2” groups of doubles, as fast as I could put 2 shots at target