Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Dummy Magazine" as PCC flag

Bojack

I just shot my first IDPA match a couple weeks ago.  Shot SSP and was fairly impressed with the overall operation.

I noticed a guy shooting PCC (looked like a Kel-Tec) that used a dummy magazine as an open action/empty chamber flag.  I'd never seen one before and thought it was a pretty good idea.  Is that acceptable in general at matches?

13 hours ago, Nolan said:

Arrendondo makes this "Mag Well Safety Plug"  I've heard both legal/not legal for USPSA Multigun.  Some 3-gun matches allow it, some don't.  I just stick with regular flags.

magwell-safety-plug.jpg

Nolan

Used this for years in uspsa and outlaw multigun matches all over the place-never had an issue.

I don't know if that would be legal for IDPA either given the following:

B.1.5.1 Except at the safe area, or when under the supervision and direct command of a SO, shooters must carry
their pistol caliber carbine with detachable magazines removed.
B.1.5.2 Competitors must use a chamber safety flag when uncased, or clear chamber device, that is externally
visible when transporting from to the range or stage to stage.

One issue with a dummy magazine is how obvious is it that it is a dummy? 

If it at all resembles a real mag then at the very least it is going to generate some double takes and make people more than a little uneasy.

Just use a chamber flag that everybody is used to seeing with a PCC. Why go looking for trouble.

10 minutes ago, ddc said:

I don't know if that would be legal for IDPA either given the following:

B.1.5.1 Except at the safe area, or when under the supervision and direct command of a SO, shooters must carry
their pistol caliber carbine with detachable magazines removed.
B.1.5.2 Competitors must use a chamber safety flag when uncased, or clear chamber device, that is externally
visible
when transporting from to the range or stage to stage.

One issue with a dummy magazine is how obvious is it that it is a dummy? 

If it at all resembles a real mag then at the very least it is going to generate some double takes and make people more than a little uneasy.

Well, I guess I need to know what a "clear chamber device" is as opposed to a traditional flag.  I've never shot at ranges where it was required (LE range, just needed open action and standard safety controls).

It looked pretty obvious to me that the action was open and safe from 15' away.  It was a bright orange magazine shaped plug that (appeared to be) locked in to the mag well.  He had a red "unloaded" or "safe" fabric flag flying on the bottom.  

No matter.  Just curious.  I thought the SO's did a good job of keeping everyone safe.

pretty sure that thing also holds the bolt open,,, rendering the gun as safe as anything,,, However look at it this way, It does nothing to ensure there isnt a live round in the chamber,,, lock bolt to rear drop a round in, then put this mag block in,,,