Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top 15000 Classification Rankings

jrdoran

For today's churn through the data Jim has provided.

Rifle Divisions

Here is the sum of PCCO, PCCI, RFRO, and RFRI.

image.png.85818c873bc96688087efa2ba6400587.png

image.png.21172c80569f96d3a83578f7a3f8cef3.png

So rifle shooters are 1/3rd of the guns shot but are 2/3rds of the GMs.

Edited by GKB

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@GKB  Good Stuff Gary ;     I think clustering Low - Ready divisions together makes sense.   All the latest weight savings coupled with cheap ammo are present.  Add to that the dynamics of the draw + grip are so different than being "locked in" in low ready.  

26 minutes ago, jrdoran said:

@GKB  Good Stuff Gary ;     I think clustering Low - Ready divisions together makes sense.   All the latest weight savings coupled with cheap ammo are present.  Add to that the dynamics of the draw + grip are so different than being "locked in" in low ready.  

Sure, skip ahead to my other topics....I've got Optics grouping to do, also.

Low Ready Divisions

Sum of PCCO, PCCI, RFRO, RFRI, RFPO, RFPI.

image.png.2fb58ac5805f21ecd79302ca05648751.png

image.png.4d99bc733767e2bf3c6200a0aae45e80.png

Edited by GKB

Optics to Irons

So, after the skewing we've seen in the number of shooters to the number of GMs (PCCI, Rifle, Low Ready) we actually see a balanced distribution here of the Optics to Iron sight Divisions.

Sum of PCCO, RFRO, OSR, RFPO, CO, Open

image.png.b0ab3d88278e0331a75182dcd11f9501.png

image.png.23c1023aaab2957f9e1425e544714a3b.png

image.png.f2ea704fac14fd2108536b95a7ee068d.png

Edited by GKB

2 hours ago, GKB said:

Optics to Irons

So, after the skewing we've seen in the number of shooters to the number of GMs (PCCI, Rifle, Low Ready) we actually see a balanced distribution here of the Optics to Iron sight Divisions.

Sum of PCCO, RFRO, OSR, RFPO, CO, Open

image.png.b0ab3d88278e0331a75182dcd11f9501.png

image.png.23c1023aaab2957f9e1425e544714a3b.png

image.png.f2ea704fac14fd2108536b95a7ee068d.png

Would it be too much to ask you to add the numbers of A and M class by each division to the detail chart?  

1 minute ago, Hoops said:

Would it be too much to ask you to add the numbers of A and M class by each division to the detail chart?

It's something I just been too lazy to do.  Pulling the GMs by eye was easy (scroll down until the percentage dropped below 95% and see the count).  For the rest, I'll have to dump each division to excel and then write a COUNT macro.  That could take me...ohhh...maybe a whole half an hour to do. 

But I am interested to see if the M/A/B/C/D distribution is consistent across divisions or in proportion to the division's GMs, so I'll probably do it today or tomorrow.

On 12/2/2023 at 9:29 AM, GKB said:

Interesting.....Here are the Divisions sorted by highest percentage of GMs.

image.png.19b2037cb2a498002f1e49d1e050d004.png

Observations

1.  There are more ISR and OSR shooters than PCCI.

2.  PCCI has the highest percentage of GMs.  Wonder if that is just GMs shooting PCCO go ahead and shoot PCCI since it's so similar?  It would be interesting to pull all of the PCCI GMs and see what their classification is in PCCO.  (Which I may get compelled enough to do but I'm not that motivated today.)  Or if there is a RFRx crossover with PCCx?

2.  Surprised at the low percentage of GMs in Prod and Open.

Interesting that about 45% of the GM's RFRO are .95% to .9999% (<100%).  

I'm not sure how much I'll be shooting RFRO once I hit GM.  I know I want to shoot other divisions, so may only keep shooting it enough to keep my skills and classification without advancing much.

Here's the full breakdown of each Division by Classification sorted from the largest to smallest number of shooters.

image.thumb.png.a63a186b61575d82ebd7cc647f136d63.png

And, yes, for the sharp eyed individuals, since this is a new week, the numbers have changed.

Here is last week.  We've net lost 518 (28,557 - 28,059) people whose records have expired.  Which includes 71 GMs (13.7% of the expired total).

EDIT:  Is that even correct?  Valid scores are current year and last 2 years, so none should be dropped.  Is this people whose USPSA membership has expired?

image.png.ca5cb140555390f68b43288ba440af8a.png

EDIT 2:  Corrected data set date.

EDIT 3 (08 Dec):  Corrected linked file to have the actual data and not show "#VALUE" error.

Edited by GKB

26 minutes ago, GKB said:

Here is last week.  We've net lost 518 (28,557 - 28,059) people whose records have expired.  Which includes 71 GMs (13.7% of the expired total).

EDIT:  Is that even correct?  Valid scores are current year and last 2 years, so none should be dropped.  Is this people whose USPSA membership has expired? 

Yes:  I evaluate the USPSA membership expiration weekly on every recalc and people will roll off.  

Here is someone who expired just this week and will drop during today's recalc; 

https://scsa.org/classification/A110170

image.thumb.png.b48fb68496c821c6210afbbca6c42b8b.png

Edited by jrdoran
link

If there was any doubt, "B" class is where shooters get stuck.  With the exception of RFRI and PCCI (which are aberrations in their distribution), there are more B shooters than GMs, Ms, and As combined.

image.png.6f3abc40ddc00df4e95d2fd1a1d7ebe1.png

12/7/2023 Weekly Recalculation update:   http://steelrankings.com/

ChangeLog:

• Most recent 2023 weekly SC match results yields  new USPSA numbers for inclusion ( there are like 4 - 10 new matches daily ) ( Many shooters are on a year end push to prior to new 2024 Peak stage times )  
  • Most recent shooter updated classifications from SCSA
  • Most recent Expired USPSA membership excluded from Rankings ( There are many )

Coming THIS WEEK -- 2024 Classification Projections & Ranking

• See how Rankings and your classification change on January 1st, 2024
    •  New 2024 peak times
    •  Expire those stage classifications which are pre-2022
    •        - SCSA:Only stages shot in the current or previous two calendar years are used for classification

Continued thanks to those who email me with questions and suggestions.   Nice to see the followup analysis being done @GKB

1 hour ago, jrdoran said:

12/7/2023 Weekly Recalculation update:   http://steelrankings.com/

ChangeLog:

• Most recent 2023 weekly SC match results yields  new USPSA numbers for inclusion ( there are like 4 - 10 new matches daily ) ( Many shooters are on a year end push to prior to new 2024 Peak stage times )  
  • Most recent shooter updated classifications from SCSA
  • Most recent Expired USPSA membership excluded from Rankings ( There are many )

Coming THIS WEEK -- 2024 Classification Projections & Ranking

• See how Rankings and your classification change on January 1st, 2024
    •  New 2024 peak times
    •  Expire those stage classifications which are pre-2022
    •        - SCSA:Only stages shot in the current or previous two calendar years are used for classification

Continued thanks to those who email me with questions and suggestions.   Nice to see the followup analysis being done @GKB

Anyone know Jesse M?  I wonder why there has been no participation in the WSSC matches.  Clearly super fast....awesome.

Thanks again @jrdoran for doing this. I started looking at the stats @GKB put together (nice job!) and it suddenly dawned on me. There are GM rankings for RFRO that have less than a 68 PST number (< than 8 stages). Seems a bit unfair to a GM that has work hard for all regulation 8 stages and someone that has shot less than the required making GM. Seems like if I wanted to game the system and get a GM I could pick and choose the stages that I shoot well. Just saying...

1 hour ago, HeadStrawBerryCounter said:

Seems a bit unfair to a GM that has work hard for all regulation 8 stages and someone that has shot less than the required making GM. Seems like if I wanted to game the system and get a GM I could pick and choose the stages that I shoot well. Just saying...

No, it doesn't.  You are classified after your first four stages.  It may take you months to attend a match where OL and SO are offered.  Many clubs do not have bays long and wide enough to accommodate.

To Steve ( @zzt ) point here is a 2023 Tier 2 State championship match that only offered 6 stages; 

https://scsa.org/results/event/15082

image.thumb.png.7d3cb02db02f7975e60b10587d67991f.png

I have not seen any tier 3 or tier 4 matches that were < 8 stages.   

I don't see classification with <8  as gaming the system or unfair, but it would be short sighted to think you are a high quality SC shooter without mastering all 8.   

PS I  have a half baked idea to classify in all 13 ( Club 13 )  by only shooting 4 stages as I have little interest in many of the other divisions.   I admit this is gaming the system 🫢

Awesome data, thank you for your hard work!

Also, it would be a nice feature to be able to plug in your SCSA number at the main page and bring up your rankings for each of your classified divisions, as opposed to searching them individually by division :)

Edited by apoc4lypse