Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX or Atlas 2011 magazines

RangerTrace

I will be receiving a dedicated LO pistol soon and was thinking about ordering a couple more 140mm mags.  I have a bunch of 20 round STI mags and two 23 rounds MBX mags that I've had no issues with.  I see that MBX offers a 24 round mag for 130 buck and Atlas has a 23 rounds for 100 bucks.  Are the MBX mags still performing well?  Mine are at least 6 years old and still work fine with one spring change.

• RangerTrace changed the title to MBX or Atlas 2011 magazines

I'm running both MBXs and Atlas mags. I don't think you can go wrong with either of them, but the Atlas mag is meaningfully more affordable.

Gunmagwarehouse often runs a sale on them and I picked up my 3 for like $80 each. They've functioned flawlessly for me so far.

MBX is worth buying when they're running a sale -- you can save some cash. Having the 24 rounds is nice -- but rarely necessary outside of a single classifier and a random stage here and there.

MBX guts have performed well in my gun, but I've had other shooters warn me that they don't last as long as the Atlas mags. May be due to how they manage to jam 24 reloadable in there resulting in quicker spring wear.

Here is my take.  If you run MBX mags, use MPX guts.  DO NOT use Atlas guts in MBX mags.  Tried that and it does not work well.   If you run Atlas mags, use Atlas guts.

I run MBX 170s and 155s, and Atlas 140s.  All run great.  Just don't try to mix and match.  I bought the Atlas, because I need lock back on empty at one club.  MBX does offer a lock back follower, but you lose one round of capacity.

As far as MBX guts lasting, I shot the same mags, followers and spring for three complete seasons with zero failures.  This season I changed to the extra power springs, just because they became available.  Zero break in.  29 in the 170s and 26 in the 155s, both reloadable.  I'm still using the original followers.  They don't seem to wear.

Any reason not to buy the 23 round Altas mags for LO?  They are on sale currently for Black Friday.

I guess one could swap out the competition follower if it isn't reliable?

Anyone have any insight on the 21 vs 23 rounders? Juice worth the squeeze?

43 minutes ago, Scotty_JR said:

Any reason not to buy the 23 round Altas mags for LO?  They are on sale currently for Black Friday.

I guess one could swap out the competition follower if it isn't reliable?

Anyone have any insight on the 21 vs 23 rounders? Juice worth the squeeze?

There is nothing wrong with Atlas followers.

The 21 and 23 are on sale for the same price.  Why buy a 21?

13 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

Depending on the stage, I will use STI mags to be dropped if possible.

That's what I did until I got fed up.  I bought three Atlas 140s to replace them.  I use them anytime I have to drop in dust or mud, and for classifiers. 

2 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

What did you end up with?

Staccato XL.  Keeping my IDPA and USPSA guns as close to identical as possible.  XC for IDPA CO and the XL for USPSA LO.  I know most folks like higher end guns, but I get them highly discounted and they have ran 100% for me.