Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon XL750 not feeding primers

I have a new XL750 and I can’t get it to feed primers from the primer tube/magazine into the primer seat cup. 
- When I drop a single primer into the tube, it places itself nicely on the white primer retainer.
- But when the handle is pulled down, pulling the primer slide out, the primer does not fal down into the primer seat cup. Instead, it seems like the seat cup nudges the primer, making it sit sideways in the fingers of the primer tube plastic tip.
- When the handle is raised, the primer cup comes out empty.

- If I pull the handle again, the sideways primer, still in the fingers of the plastic tip, blocks the slide from reaching its end position which is also seen by the white primer retainer not being pushed out.

I have really searched on the Internet, all the usual forums, Dillons site, YouTube etc., and there are lots of people who has had similar problems, but none of the suggested solutions has solved my problem. I have spent many hours trying different things, with no luck.

I have tried/checked this:

- yes, it is the small primer tube, with up the blue tip, and it is small rifle primers.

- the blue tip is new, it seems fine, and I have also tried a new spare tip.

- I have tried with the primer tube from my Square deal B: it works fine in that press but not in the 750.

- I have adjusted the set screw for primer cup alignment.

- I have tried with and without the primer shield cap screwed on on top of the primer tube.

- I have tried both with and without the rod in the primer tube, with and without an empty case for extra weight.

- I have tried with a single primer dropped into the tube, and with 4 primers.

One more thing I have done, and that might be a clue, is to reset the primer punch all the way down to the bottom of its hole in the primer slide. Dillons manual states that from the bottom of the slide to the top of the primer cup, it should be  1.380-1.390”. Mine is about 1.404”, and as mentioned, pushed all the way down. Since the primer cup hits the primer and causes it to turn, my best guess so far is that the punch/cup assembly is out of specs, and therefor impossible to adjust down to the correct height. Seems very unlikely though? I also

tried exchanging the punch and the cup to spare ones, which made no difference at all. So even more unlikely that those parts are faulty. So now I am out of ideas.

The machine is totally useless if I can’t make it prime, and it drives me crazy that I can’t solve it. Help, please!

Edited by Jonnoz

I would love to know what you find, my press started doing this exact same thing yesterday. Loading .223 with cci #41 primers. Just loaded a few thousand pistol rounds never an issue. Switched to rifle and it popped up. Then I tried a 100 rounds with standard #400 rifle primers, smooth as silk. Back to the mil spec primers and it did it twice in the next 100. What were you loading?

Dillon has replied, so quick response from their side, great!

I have submitted some additional description and pictures, I will let you know what we find out!

I am loading 223 with S&B Small Rifle primers. I have tried the primer feed system with Geco Small Pistol as well, with the exact same problems.

• 3 weeks later...

I had similar problems with my new 750 a few years ago. I took the primer mount assembly off and the slide and remounted as close to the left as possible and tightened it down. Also bought a brass tip for the magazine assembly. Together they have been almost flawless. The couple times I had an issue since I just retightened the primer mount and it went away.

I received the replacement parts the other day, and it seems to work fine. I have only done some initial trying though, but it works. My conclusion is that one or more of the components of the original slide assembly was out of spec.

Regardless of the cause, the service from Dillon when I approached them with the problem was nothing but superb!

I had pretty much the same issue this last week.  The primer would not always drop into the primer cup. There was a little play and if I pulled back a hair it would drop.  Very annoying.  I did all the troubleshooting in the manual and replaced everything including the primer cup slide.  Finally I saw in the owners manual on page 45 that the Operating Rod Bracket needs to be 5.625 (5-5/8") from top of the bracket to the top of of the primer feed body.  Once I set the distance and aligned everything the primers now come out without any issue.  My headache has now gone away and I'm reloading without having to verify there is a primer in the pocket for each bullet. Maybe this will help someone else.  Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/13/2023 at 4:03 PM, Jonnoz said:

I have a new XL750 and I can’t get it to feed primers from the primer tube/magazine into the primer seat cup. 
- When I drop a single primer into the tube, it places itself nicely on the white primer retainer.
- But when the handle is pulled down, pulling the primer slide out, the primer does not fal down into the primer seat cup. Instead, it seems like the seat cup nudges the primer, making it sit sideways in the fingers of the primer tube plastic tip.
- When the handle is raised, the primer cup comes out empty.

- If I pull the handle again, the sideways primer, still in the fingers of the plastic tip, blocks the slide from reaching its end position which is also seen by the white primer retainer not being pushed out.

I have really searched on the Internet, all the usual forums, Dillons site, YouTube etc., and there are lots of people who has had similar problems, but none of the suggested solutions has solved my problem. I have spent many hours trying different things, with no luck.

I have tried/checked this:

- yes, it is the small primer tube, with up the blue tip, and it is small rifle primers.

- the blue tip is new, it seems fine, and I have also tried a new spare tip.

- I have tried with the primer tube from my Square deal B: it works fine in that press but not in the 750.

- I have adjusted the set screw for primer cup alignment.

- I have tried with and without the primer shield cap screwed on on top of the primer tube.

- I have tried both with and without the rod in the primer tube, with and without an empty case for extra weight.

- I have tried with a single primer dropped into the tube, and with 4 primers.

One more thing I have done, and that might be a clue, is to reset the primer punch all the way down to the bottom of its hole in the primer slide. Dillons manual states that from the bottom of the slide to the top of the primer cup, it should be  1.380-1.390”. Mine is about 1.404”, and as mentioned, pushed all the way down. Since the primer cup hits the primer and causes it to turn, my best guess so far is that the punch/cup assembly is out of specs, and therefor impossible to adjust down to the correct height. Seems very unlikely though? I also

tried exchanging the punch and the cup to spare ones, which made no difference at all. So even more unlikely that those parts are faulty. So now I am out of ideas.

The machine is totally useless if I can’t make it prime, and it drives me crazy that I can’t solve it. Help, please!

I have been reloading over 50 years but long range precision 

Decided to update my Lee 4000 so instead of just buying another one in 9mm I bought a new xl750. And haven't loaded a 9mm yet.  I work, read, watch videos, and I  want to return this pos 45acp and 9mm full change over kits with the f*#ked up powder measures 

Got it adjusted and I can't seat a primer or the plates jam up.

I'll even throw in a press light

Will dillon take this Pos back and send me a new one or what?

Mine was having problems as well, come to find out I just had to move the op rod down a bit more to push the primer cup back far enough to reliably pick up the primer from the tube. After that it's been perfect 

NATE40,

Have you checked out the various tech videos on the DIllon website? Product Videos| XL750 (dillonprecision.com) Your issues are almost always adjustment-related.   Have you called the 800-223-4570 number while you are in front of the loader for assistance? That's why our CSRs are here. If all else fails, we will have you send us your loader, with the toolhead, dies, etc adjusted as is, so we can troubleshoot it here.

13 hours ago, Runswithwood1 said:

Mine was having problems as well, come to find out I just had to move the op rod down a bit more to push the primer cup back far enough to reliably pick up the primer from the tube. After that it's been perfect 

I had to bend the rod slightly so that it would push the primer cup further back