Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case Lube And Powder

standles

Yesterday I sprayed case lube on pistol cases fr the first time in my reloading career. I had ~1000 cases in a bin and sprayed 3 spritz of DCL then agitated the cases. Waited 2 mins ten repeated.

The soothness of the press was very nice but I had one problem. Every 100 primers I check a case for powder charge. Now some of the powder sticks to the lube inside the case.

Is this going to cause issues? What about degradation of the powder/primer over time?

I took 200 rounds to the range and they functioned fine and also showed no noticeable effects over the chrono.

Opinions ?

Steven

I use Hornady One shot, it does the same thing, making a few particles of powder stick, I've loaded over 10K rounds this way, never had one that wouldn't go off because of it.

Case lubes will not degrade powder and I haven't had a problem either. If I'm really concerned about powder charge, I'll clear the press at each primer refill and use a non-lubed case I keep at the bench just for this purpose.

Hope this helps.

Carbide or standard steel dies. I use lube for either. Yes, you don't need to use it with carbide dies, however you will find that if you use case lube, especially in a progressive, the whole operation moves along so much smoother than if you run them dry through a carbide sizer. I too find that the powder sticks to the case lube, and I too have loaded thousands of rounds and have never had a failure to fire due to powder sticking to the case lube inside the cases.

Vince

Dillon Case Lube, or Hornady One Shot will not give you any problems with powder, or primer contamination at all no matter how much get in the case.

I squirted a blast of DCL into a charged rifle case and capped it. It chronoed out exactly like rounds without the spritz did.

Nothing to sweat over here.

Carbide or standard steel dies. I use lube for either. Yes, you don't need to use it with carbide dies, however you will find that if you use case lube, especially in a progressive, the whole operation moves along so much smoother than if you run them dry through a carbide sizer. I too find that the powder sticks to the case lube, and I too have loaded thousands of rounds and have never had a failure to fire due to powder sticking to the case lube inside the cases.

Vince

I find the expanding part of reloading to be the most "unsmooth"; would it be a good idea to lube the expander die instead of the cases? :)

I find the expanding part of reloading to be the most "unsmooth"; would it be a good idea to lube the expander die instead of the cases? :)

If you haven't polished your funnel/expander, do it. Powder sticking to a lubed case isn't bad. Powder sticking to the funnel is.

If you haven't polished your funnel/expander, do it. Powder sticking to a lubed case isn't bad. Powder sticking to the funnel is.

+1

Additionally, what many do with spray lubes like Hornady One Shot is to toss all the cases into a bag (or into the case feeder, if you are so blessed) and give a liberal spraying while shaking or mixing. This will get lube on the outside of the case, for smoothing resizing, and a little on and in the case mouth, for smooth action of the expander.

You don't need to get lube on every case - the small amount on a majority of cases, both inside and outside, will be enough to give you smooth action on the occasional dry case.

Edited to say, Welcome to the forumsl, ist45! :D

Edited by kevin c

+1

Additionally, what many do with spray lubes like Hornady One Shot is to toss all the cases into a bag (or into the case feeder, if you are so blessed) and give a liberal spraying while shaking or mixing. This will get lube on the outside of the case, for smoothing resizing, and a little on and in the case mouth, for smooth action of the expander.

You don't need to get lube on every case - the small amount on a majority of cases, both inside and outside, will be enough to give you smooth action on the occasional dry case.

Edited to say, Welcome to the forumsl, ist45! :D

Thanks 300lb and kevin c.... :)

I find the expanding part of reloading to be the most "unsmooth"; would it be a good idea to lube the expander die instead of the cases?

One thing I have done when loading 40 cal to keep it from sticking on the down stroke (on the 650) is to use a 9mm flare stem instead of the 40 cal one. It works just fine and you may need to adjust your powder charge die down a tad more to engage the flaring, but it flares the case just right without having that annoying stick happen. The other thing I find that happens when you use the smaller flare stem is that the powder gets concentrated more to the center and you get less powder engaging the now goopy lubed inner case walls and you tend not to have the same issues as with the 40 cal stem.

I would assume that this would work on a 45 with a 40 cal stem, but I've not tried that one lately since I don't load for 45.

Vince