Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

diagnose shooting left

jimbullet

So have had some issues of shooting left but not low left. 

Some drills that I have uncovered this is at about 7 yards doing fast two shots on a target from draw, the first goes alpha and the second is horizontally at Delta. It's not low or high at all. after 3 reps, it is consistently doing that.

Another rep from low ready, same thing.

Tried at 12 meters and controlled pairs same thing. 

Im focused that my trigger finger always lands on the same spot. Would appreciate thoughts as its weirdly that my first shot is always centre but the second is always left.

I think firing hand tension is likely too. 

Do you shoot a dot gun? Can you see it happening. Dot going up, coming down on the left and lifting again? Even irons you should be able to see it happen. Sight comes down to the left of the notch then lifts again for the second shot. 

Can you feel anything?

Pay really close attention to what you're seeing and feeling. If you can start to spot it you'll be more likely to be able to fix it. Or at least if it happens in a match you should be able to recognize it and fire another shot when needed. 

I’m shooting irons. So if it’s tension of the firing hand which is right hand for me, what is a good tension? Strangely sometimes I call it to be a good shot with sights aligned and logos lift when it breaks but actual shot placement is way off to the left. 

Most of your grip pressure should be coming from your weak hand.  Sounds to me that you may be loosening your weka hand grip slightly during recoil and re-gripping for your next shot is pulling muzzle to the left. Just a guess..  try same at slower pace in practice and see if same happens.  Being conscience of of it at the slower pace it will probably go away but give you better indication of the cause.

On 10/11/2023 at 12:13 AM, jimbullet said:

I’m shooting irons. So if it’s tension of the firing hand which is right hand for me, what is a good tension? Strangely sometimes I call it to be a good shot with sights aligned and logos lift when it breaks but actual shot placement is way off to the left. 

Hold the gun with just enough force in the right hand to stop it from being able to move freely. So grip it, and then try to push the gun around with your other hand.  Then test it in live fire as well, see if you can feel the gun moving in your right hand during recoil. Once you've established what that force is, then do not grip the gun harder than that with the right hand. Instead, most of the grip pressure should come from your support hand.

8 hours ago, Blackstone45 said:

Hold the gun with just enough force in the right hand to stop it from being able to move freely. So grip it, and then try to push the gun around with your other hand.  Then test it in live fire as well, see if you can feel the gun moving in your right hand during recoil. Once you've established what that force is, then do not grip the gun harder than that with the right hand. Instead, most of the grip pressure should come from your support hand.

Thanks I’ll give this a try on live fire over the weekend 🙂 

On 10/10/2023 at 7:13 PM, jimbullet said:

So when you call a good shot and it's not. Mostly like you just blinked. Where the bullet went is where the sights were when the gun fired.

Our natural reaction to loud noise is to blink and flinch. It's also natural for us to push back against something that pushes us. IIRC It takes you almost twice as long to blink as it does for your gun to cycle. The gun is loud and pushes on you, you blink and push back you can throw shots likely low left and since the last thing you saw before you closed your eyes was a good sight picture you'll call it a good shot. 

May not be the case, but it's likely. It is odd you'd see it lift, because where it lifts from is where the bullet is going. If it doesn't go there then what? My guess would be you only thought you saw it lift. Because if the sights are right, they have to point to where the bullet impacted when they lift since the sights lift after the bullet as left the barrel. 

On 10/13/2023 at 9:05 AM, StefVanHauwe said:

Check this video out:

This has been invaluable. Got to the range and tested this out and my shots have become tighter especially with my controlled pairs. The pressure of my shooting hand appears to be loosening and has become inconsistent so with this, I got a bit more focused on the grip pressure not to let go immediately and holy moly, its like magic!

11 hours ago, jimbullet said:

This has been invaluable. Got to the range and tested this out and my shots have become tighter especially with my controlled pairs. The pressure of my shooting hand appears to be loosening and has become inconsistent so with this, I got a bit more focused on the grip pressure not to let go immediately and holy moly, its like magic!

Super!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mostly poor grip technique.
There's other causes, too, but a weak contribution from the support hand will definitely do it.
Especially when the support hand loosens as the gun goes off.
A too tight of a grip from the shooting hand can do it regardless if you are shooting two handed or one handed.
It causes the trigger finger to stiffen and lock and push the gun off center when pulling the trigger.
Try to practice a strong grip that controls the pistol but still allows a flexible trigger finger.

• 4 weeks later...

A new shooter had this problem last summer so I filmed him in slow motion to get a better idea of what he was doing.

Turned out he was tensing up his firing hand ring finger right before the shot broke. Once he started focusing on keeping an even grip throughout the trigger pull he got the shots where he wanted them.