Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Henning BP's

LanzoCommando

Getting ready to get going in USPSA again and setting up a Shadow 2. 

Henning has two options...."for" and "no" magwell. 

I know you can't have magwells in CO, but I honestly think I'm just going to take my Shadow 2 and run limited optics. I MAY want a magwell down the road, but to be honest I'm not competitive enough right now that it really matters that much to me. With 23 you're reloading on the move anyway, one time somewhere in the stage outside of specific requirement, so I can't think of how a mag well is terribly advantageous. I just want to shoot again.

Has anyone seen the difference? Henning says the "for" magwell ones are cut a bit different at the top, so I'm wondering if they'd look weird in a gun without it. Either way there's a couple versions the standards work in, so since CO still exists I'm leaning towards just getting regular ones and running in LO without a magwell since I'm not gonna be busting down any podiums anyway. This way I'm good for both divisions...although the ones for magwells would work too I'm just worried about them looking funky on a gun with no magwell (think like a gap between where the frame ends and the BP starts). 

Thanks for any input!

10 hours ago, Tabasco said:

I haven’t seen them in the wild, but I think the only difference is the are a bit tapered at the top for the mag well.  I don’t think they look too different.

I think these are them https://www.speedshooter.com/product/henning-uspsa-limited-division-cz-base-pads/

I like those better that the ones they have on their site, no cuts in the side or anything. Look super clean. 

the magwell pads can be over inserted if used without a magwell and slide locked back, causing the mag to hit the ejector and cause damage to it. They are basically the Tanfo pads, as the Tanfo had a slightly longer grip and the pads made contact with the grip before over insertion could occur. The CZ pads for non magwell are a tad thicker at the top and prevent over insertion. I run one set of each, one for magwells, one for no magwell

I have both.  I haven't ran the magwell ones without the magwell yet so I can't comment on the over-insertion.  However, the magwell ones did not seat fully in my S2 with a LOK brass magwell.  This was a 20 second fix, as I just marked on the magwell where the basepads were rubbing, and took off a tiny bit of material with a dremel to allow the basepads to sit.  Oddly enough, now the non-magwell basepads work with the magwell too.

All that said, the Henning's are my favorite basepad I've ran out of any so far.  I've had occasional issues with Taran, Springer, MBX over the years.

When I did pads, to clear a magwell on CZs and TFs meant a bit less material above the T-slot, so long-term if you drop loaded mags on concrete all the time, you may see cracking eventually.  By then the cost of the basepad should be the least of your expenses though.

On 10/9/2023 at 8:00 AM, LanzoCommando said:

Getting ready to get going in USPSA again and setting up a Shadow 2. 

Henning has two options...."for" and "no" magwell. 

I know you can't have magwells in CO, but I honestly think I'm just going to take my Shadow 2 and run limited optics. 

Our squad was guessing that roughly 80% of the LO entries at Nats were CO guys that either ran a straight CO setup or slapped a magwell on their CO setup. 

100% get the grips that give you the option to run a magwell. The S2 is a fantastic LO setup IMO. 

I was one that put a magwell on my S2 and started cocked and locked. There were 5 or 6 other LO shooters in my squad, a couple with Legions or Sig M17's, and the others with Atlas or a 2011 of some flavor. I used Taylor Freelance extensions with a Boss Components magwell. I had to relieve the tops of the extensions to allow the mags to lock in. 

I shot our local Sunday with a guy with a Shadow with a Springer magwell. I think I'm going to try it, so I can run my brass SSI Scales grips. TTI had a 31% off site wide sale and I grabbed some of his CZ extensions to try.