Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 optic milling question

EvilNuff

I am pondering getting my S2 milled for a dot and wondering what people's thoughts are on the various options for milling?  CZC has their own plate system which is nice but that is $275 vs SBGW who has it listed on sale for $134, primary machine is in the middle at $180.  I could also just get the S2 OR and sell my current one.  So basically I am waffling and soliciting opinions.

I’ve had 2 S2s done by CZC using their plate system. It’s been great and is future proof. I’ve also had a p07 direct milled by Primary Machine. I would 100% use CZC again. 

What I like about the CZC plate system (or the OR version) is that you have flexibility to change out optics. If you direct mill, you’re married to that optic. Just food for thought. 

I believe Primary Machine will require the entire slide be re-coated after milling. (or they used to)

Impact Machine gives the option to just coat the milled area or the entire slide, if requested. 

This may not matter to some folks but personally I prefer the look of the S2 slide as it comes from CZ.

Just sayin'

18 hours ago, EvilNuff said:

plate system

The plate system is good if you are worried about changing dot brands. However, a plate always adds another point of failure and possible loosening or shearing of mounting screws. If you are going to stick with one footprint mill the slide to fit that dot.

CZC plates have thicker 8-32 screws and have a lesser chance of stripping than thinner optic mounting screws. This Cajun milled Shadow 2 slide below was $125 charge to fix. Had that screw got stripped in a plate, simply replacing that plate wouldve put me 80 bucks ahead. In addition fixing it took some threads out of the slide. If I ever have to get any gun milled again, it will be a plate system as long as it uses good coarse screws.

20230618_203112.jpg

The screw went bad and twisted on itself. Completely fooled me. I noticed that my witness mark on that screw was off and I thought that it simply backed out. When I tried to remove and remount it, it broke in two.

On 9/29/2023 at 11:03 PM, MNshooter said:

I’ve had 2 S2s done by CZC using their plate system. It’s been great and is future proof. I’ve also had a p07 direct milled by Primary Machine. I would 100% use CZC again. 

What I like about the CZC plate system (or the OR version) is that you have flexibility to change out optics. If you direct mill, you’re married to that optic. Just food for thought. 

+1 for the CZC plate system.  You can get steel plates (rather than aluminum) and the plates are actually dovetailed into the cut so the screws only hold the optic to the plate, not the whole thing to the slide.  

5 hours ago, YVK said:

The screw went bad and twisted on itself. Completely fooled me. I noticed that my witness mark on that screw was off and I thought that it simply backed out. When I tried to remove and remount it, it broke in two.

Ugh that's a PITA.