Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli M2 Feeding Issues

JDalton203

So I've searched the deep dark places of the internet and tried a number of things but I am still having problems with my benelli 3 gun shotgun not feeding shells. Figured I would ask you guys and see if anyone thought of something or knows something I don't (a very common occurrence). Shotgun is a fairly stock benelli 3 gun version (I believe roth performance still does this work?) with a taccom carbon fiber +9 extended tube and their extension nut. This may be part of the issue but the nut is fairly a pain to keep in place, I finally started putting a dot of loctite on it to keep it tighten down. Follower is the one supplied by roth and the magazine springs are nordic components and generally cut to 14-16" past the tube though I literally tried running it full length this last time just to see if it would help out. I've had the gun about 2 years and I am guessing about 3k rounds through it. I haven't replaced any internals except for the magazine spring and tried a couple different followers. I generally shoot 7.5shot 3 dram at 1200 fps. It seems to do it with federals/fiocchis/winchester AAs. Same issue with shells running low 1100 to 1300fps, shot sizes from 6 to 9 have been tried with about the same issues (3 dram as well). I thought maybe since it was an inertia gun it very well could have been me trying to go too fast and not fully having the gun secure so I tested it a bunch at the range with a very steady hold and it does it whether I shoot fast or slow.

Symptoms:

Shells are getting caught part way out of the magazine tube, sometimes just barely, most of the time they are 90% of the way out. This happens about once or twice now a stage, with the tube completely full, or only partially full because of tac-ops. Fairly annoying because I have to shove my hand down there midstage and get them to come all of the way out, not sure why they are binding.

Things I've tried:

Cleaning the gun/keeping it lubed (no grease just oil, not excessive). Doesn't seem to make a difference.

Tried an extended follower but the roth one is really just as long.

Tried magazine spring lengths from 9-16" past the end of the magtube plus a completely uncut spring. The longer spring lengths seemed to help a little but no real difference.

Checked to see if the shells are catching on anything, thought maybe it was the shell catch that roth has modified a little but it doesn't seem to be. The little lip around where the mag tube attaches to the receiver was another thought but I checked for sharp edges and found nothing and it appears to be just as normal as my stoegers and other benellis that don't have issues.

Anyways, if someone has an idea I greatly appreciate it! I'll try and get some pictures next time I am at the range. Just an annoyance and I'm wasting time on the dreaded clock fixing it each stage.

Thanks!!

I should note that I did find this extremely informative thread by Jason that you guys helped out with awhile ago but didn't know if this was going to help solve my issue because my shells aren't making it all the way out onto the follower (though I have experienced this same issue but rarely). 

What follower are you running? This is almost always a follower issue, unless someone has been inside of it and messed with the carrier, and the carrier dog is wobbling around. If you are running the red anodized follower from Benelli, you will need to do a little work to it.... common Benelli problem, I use the red follower a exclusively after a slight mod and there are none better.

Next make sure you bend the end of the mag spring so that it contacts the follower evenly most the way around on the inside. That it is doing this with a full mag tells me it is your follower...... unless someone has been inside of it. 

Dunno if this will help but with my wife's 3 gun shotgun we did a similar setup and the spring was actually getting bound up when we would reassemble after cleaning. You could tell when the spring would hang up and the follower would have no tension on it, literally smacked the hell of out it on the extension coupler and it would solve the problem

On 9/13/2023 at 12:33 AM, perttime said:

Has it always done it, or did it change?

So it changed, for the first year or so no issues. Currently been fighting it for forever though.

On 9/13/2023 at 3:38 PM, Runswithwood1 said:

Dunno if this will help but with my wife's 3 gun shotgun we did a similar setup and the spring was actually getting bound up when we would reassemble after cleaning. You could tell when the spring would hang up and the follower would have no tension on it, literally smacked the hell of out it on the extension coupler and it would solve the problem

I thought this might be the case as well but I checked it every time and found the spring wasn't binding up, at least not from this issue.

On 9/13/2023 at 4:26 AM, kurtm said:

What follower are you running? This is almost always a follower issue, unless someone has been inside of it and messed with the carrier, and the carrier dog is wobbling around. If you are running the red anodized follower from Benelli, you will need to do a little work to it.... common Benelli problem, I use the red follower a exclusively after a slight mod and there are none better.

Next make sure you bend the end of the mag spring so that it contacts the follower evenly most the way around on the inside. That it is doing this with a full mag tells me it is your follower...... unless someone has been inside of it. 

https://rothperformance.com/product/rci-follower/

This looks like the follower that came with my gun and I don't see any nicks/burrs or anything on it that would catch. What work do you do to the factory follower? I tried a low drag phase 5 follower for a little bit because I suspected the follower but it ran about the same.

This is a good point on the mag spring, I generally bend the cut side a bit but I will try what you are saying and see if that helps.

Some good points! I'll play around with the follower/mag spring again and double check that the carrier dog isn't wobbling around.