Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for a thumbrest slidelock

Speedwagon

Does anyone know where I can get a thumbrest slidelock for a 2011 that would lock the slide back after the magazine is empties. My gun is built to lockback and I have the lockback style magazine inserts. 

Respectfully, I'm not looking for opinions on why I shouldn't need or want one or why it won't work but only where I can find one to purchase. 

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Speedwagon said:

Does anyone know where I can get a thumbrest slidelock for a 2011 that would lock the slide back after the magazine is empties. My gun is built to lockback and I have the lockback style magazine inserts. 

Respectfully, I'm not looking for opinions on why I shouldn't need or want one or why it won't work but only where I can find one to purchase. 

Thanks.

I think the Odin Armory Sentinel does lockback, but inconsistently according to THM. Eemann tech one says it does as well. Though I generally have my doubts if either will do consistently during actual firing, vs. allowing you to manually lock back when needed. 

My experience with a slidelock thumb rest for my Tanfo was that it’d cause occasional malfunctions since forward pressure on the thumb rest was essentially inducing premature slidelock, so had to ground down the tab / make it nonfunctional. My guess is most thumbrest have much more minimal locking shelfs to prevent the problem, but that also reduces reliability of slidelock during livefire

14 minutes ago, whan said:

I think the Odin Armory Sentinel does lockback, but inconsistently according to THM. Eemann tech one says it does as well. Though I generally have my doubts if either will do consistently during actual firing, vs. allowing you to manually lock back when needed. 

My experience with a slidelock thumb rest for my Tanfo was that it’d cause occasional malfunctions since forward pressure on the thumb rest was essentially inducing premature slidelock, so had to ground down the tab / make it nonfunctional. My guess is most thumbrest have much more minimal locking shelfs to prevent the problem, but that also reduces reliability of slidelock during livefire

Thanks for this info whan. While the Odin is larger than I had in mind the Eemann looks like a possibility. I missed the part in their description that suggests it will lock back when required.

2 minutes ago, Speedwagon said:

Thanks for this info whan. While the Odin is larger than I had in mind the Eemann looks like a possibility. I missed the part in their description that suggests it will lock back when required.

No prob - yeah on the Eemann one, I was wondering if the language they used implies that "when required" means only manually lockback, or will do on empty mag

A few companies make a thumbrest style mag catch for 2011s (Nitro fin, atlas, Phoenix trinity, and a few others). 

If you put ANY pressure at all on your thumbrest, it will not lock back. Mag spring pressure will not overcome your weakhand thumb pressure. 

I use Nitrofins on all my 2011s. They all can lock the slide back if you fit it correctly, but it requires me to push up from the underside of the slide stop to lock back, they do not lock back when firing on an empty mag. 

I do have an Atlas and really like it but it does not lock back on an empty magazine.

Looking a little further I found this Video and in the comments a person stated that they purchased an Eemann and it does not lock back on an empty magazine. Back to the drawing board.

IDPA rules (the best I can understand them) state that when engaging targets in the open you must empty and go to slidelock before reloading or it's a PE so this fits the "when required" category. I'm getting pretty fed up with IDPA rules and will probably let my membership lapse when it's time for renewal.

9 hours ago, Timido said:

Can you do a frame mount thumb rest?  Make sure your magazine bases limit your magazine from damaging your ejector.   

I've thought about that but not sure it's allowed in USPSA LO. I'll check on it.

• 4 weeks later...