Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S1050 W/ Mark7 Automation 9mm Process head

I have recently automated my S1050 with a Mark7 unit.  Once I decided to automate the press I knew it would be wise to process all brass before reloading, meaning it will be a 2 step process moving forward.  (I tried to load 200 rounds for some testing without processed brass and it was a nightmare when automated so my assumption was correct.)

I have done a cursory search and did not find what I am looking for, but I would like to know what others are doing in the processing pass.  I assume the process head would looks something like this.

Station 1 - Load brass

Station 2 - Decap brass (I want to use an decapping dedicated die here)

Station 3 - Swage (Using Dillon Hold down die)

Station 4 - Nothing (Priming station not used)

Station 5 - Nothing (Powder station not used)

Station 6 - Sizing Die (Without decapping pin)

Station 7 - Expanding Die (to prevent powder funnel from sticking during loading Pass)

I think that is a pretty good plan, but I was curious if anyone has a better one, or has ran into any issues when configuring their Pistol processing head in this manner.  Or if there is something to add here that would make the reloading pass any easier.

Thanks in advance.

Below is my current process and results from a recent loading session.

Dry tumble in cement mixer (5-gallon bucket at a time), Roll Size (Commercial Rollsizer) 

Processing Toolhead

• S1 - Case Insertion 
  • S2 - FW Arms Decapper Die 
  • S2 - Swage with FW Hold Down Die 
  • S3 - Empty 
  • S4 - Empty 
  • S5 - Dillon Size Die (Without internal decapping steam) 
  • S6 - Empty 
  • S7 - EGW U Die *

*I go overboard with sizing as I use mixed range brass while shooting 9 Major. 

Wet Clean ... Load...

I do not flare on my processing pass as I like to spot check the brass while the press is running. Flaring would make it so cases would not pass the gauge. I flare in 2 steps on my loading pass. Step 1 is during swage hold down with an expander die and then step 2 is a MBF/SSI powder funnel on the powder dropper itself. This removed the "thunk" while allowing for proper flaring (Works on Jacketed, Plated, and coated). 

Results From a Recent 16,000 round batch using the above process. 

• Failed Gauge - 14/16,000 - 0.0875%
  • Cracked Cases - 5/16,000 - 0.03125%
  • Upside Down Primers - 5/16,000 - 0.03125%
  • Total Failure Rate - 24/16,000 - .15% 

Edited by Maximis228

3 minutes ago, Maximis228 said:

Results From a Recent 16,000 round batch using the above process. 

• Failed Gauge - 14/16,000 - 0.0875%
  • Cracked Cases - 5/16,000 - 0.03125%
  • Upside Down Primers - 5/16,000 - 0.03125%
  • Total Failure Rare - 24/16,000 - .15% 

Amazing you retain all of that data.  

4 minutes ago, Maximis228 said:

Dry tumble in cement mixer (5-gallon bucket at a time)

I never have given this much consideration.  How much media do you see during the processing pass?

I was going to wet tumble, dry, roll size, lube, then process.  The same lube would stay for the reloading process.  

1 minute ago, Boomstick303 said:

I never have given this much consideration.  How much media do you see during the processing pass?

I was going to wet tumble, dry, roll size, lube, then process.  The same lube would stay for the reloading process.  

I ran into issues with ringers when I would wet tumble before decapping which is why I landed on the process im currently using. I know I could get 1 or 2 of those decapping machines from Rollsizer, but my current process works just fine. 

I use fairly large walnut media from a local feed store. I don't have issues with media in my brass at all really. Anything I would miss ends up being sifted out when rollsizing anyways (Case feeder filters out the .0001% I missed from the cement mixer sifting). 

I have the same process head essentially with the exception of expander. I process dirty with lube. Afterwords I wet tumble and store for later processing. Usually prep 3-5 k at a time then clean the press. The press doesnt seem any dirtier then when I cleaned prior to process, the dies included. When I say dirty I mean free of any rocks and no cases filled with dirt quickly scanned for bad cases.

4 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

I have recently automated my S1050 with a Mark7 unit.  Once I decided to automate the press I knew it would be wise to process all brass before reloading, meaning it will be a 2 step process moving forward.  (I tried to load 200 rounds for some testing without processed brass and it was a nightmare when automated so my assumption was correct.)

I have done a cursory search and did not find what I am looking for, but I would like to know what others are doing in the processing pass.  I assume the process head would looks something like this.

Station 1 - Load brass

Station 2 - Decap brass (I want to use an decapping dedicated die here)

Station 3 - Swage (Using Dillon Hold down die)

Station 4 - Nothing (Priming station not used)

Station 5 - Nothing (Powder station not used)

Station 6 - Sizing Die (Without decapping pin)

Station 7 - Expanding Die (to prevent powder funnel from sticking during loading Pass)

I think that is a pretty good plan, but I was curious if anyone has a better one, or has ran into any issues when configuring their Pistol processing head in this manner.  Or if there is something to add here that would make the reloading pass any easier.

Thanks in advance.

I think that setup is pretty typical.

My processing head is almost identical except for no expanding die.

One thing I've started doing is prior to switching from loading to processing or vice versa I take the opportunity to tear down the top half of the machine, clean and lubricate.

When reassembling for the processing pass I leave all the primer stuff off and don't re-install until the next loading pass.

Was there one thing in particular that was messed up?

Edited by ddc

3 minutes ago, ddc said:

One thing I've started doing is prior to switching from loading to processing or vice versa I take the opportunity to tear down the top half of the machine, clean and lubricate.

When reassembling for the processing pass I leave all the primer stuff off and don't re-install until the next loading pass.

This is what I will be doing as well.  Anytime I switch from one process to another I will always perform the upper clean, maintenance, and lube process.  

I also leave the Primer assembly and Powder Drop off the unit for processing.

5 minutes ago, ddc said:

Was there one thing in particular that was messed up?

Not really.  I have already done this process for 223 and been very successful in the 2 pass system regarding that cartridge.  

Just making sure I have fleshed it out before I start moving dies.  My current setup was processing and reloading in one pass due to the press being set up for the original manual process.

Last night I tried to use the Automation while processing and reloading 9mm at the same time.  It did not go well.  I knew this, but I only had around 200 rounds to load for some testing so I limped through it.  I won't do that again.  I have enough 9mm to get me through the winter, so I intend to convert the press to process 223 for the next month or so, then load it.

I wanted to have a plan in place when I go to setup the 9mm processing head.  The only ouch with the two pass system on the 1050/1100 is the cost of the heads.  

2 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Thanks for the input everyone.  I thought I was on the right path, just wanted to make sure I was not overlooking something.

I think you are on the right path.

Getting automation up and running is a learning curve all on its own.

If there is any weakness in the operation of your press it will be exposed.

It has to be able to operate with practically zero error or it will be a very frustrating experience.

14 minutes ago, ddc said:

It has to be able to operate with practically zero error or it will be a very frustrating experience.

I was glad I operated it manually for the first year and half or so.  It helped me understand how it works and what to look for when there are issues.  I cannot imagine starting automated without knowing the machine.  

I also do two step loading, although slightly different due to the equipment I already have.  I decap with an FW arms, swage, and size twice, once with a dillon and once with a lee undersize on a 1050 (it's pretty stripped down as I remove the powder and priming systems).  Then I wet tumble and load on a 650.  I owned the 650 first, and with prepped brass it loads plenty fast for me, even doing it manually.  Pretty straightforward setup on that, powder, bullet feeder, seat, and crimp.  I think the two-pass loading would be almost essential with automation, unless you were using new brass perhaps.  I catch plenty of 380 brass (sometimes even 40, or an odd 9X18/32acp/etc. while prepping, that would be a real hassle dealing with while loading on an automated machine.

I just throw clean (dry tumbled) 9mm range pickup brass into the S1050 with MK7 and let 'er rip.   I'll usually box-sort it to get the .380 and other junk out first if there's a high percentage of it, otherwise just curse at it as it shows up now and then.

I have decades of experience with manual loading on 1050s so that helps a lot for setup and undoing jams.

The only pistol round I process first is 38 SC because I spray mark it and like to size it again afterwards.  That is just a couple sizing dies 180 degrees apart on an antique RL1050 with a Forcht drive.