Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Change Log for May 1, 2023 USPSA Competition Rules

GeneBray

T2.

Appendix D4, Special Condition #1

Original:  Only Double Action, Double Action/Single Action, and Safe Action/Striker Fired handguns are allowed, and must be on the approved list. When in the ready conditions as specified under 8.1, a gun with an external hammer must be hammer down. A hammer is considered to be in the "hammer down" position when the hammer is placed there by pulling the trigger while  manually lowering the hammer (manually decocking) or by activating the decocking lever if present. Manually decocking to the half-cocked position is not allowed and will result in the competitor being moved to Open division.

Updated: Only Double Action, Double Action/Single Action, and Safe Action/Striker Fired handguns are allowed, and must be on the approved list. When in the ready conditions as specified under 8.1, a gun with an external hammer must be hammer down. A hammer is considered to be in the "hammer down" position when the hammer is placed there by pulling the trigger while manually lowering the hammer (manually decocking) or by activating the decocking lever if present. Manually decocking to the half-cocked position is not allowed and will result in the competitor being moved to Open division. Handguns with external hammers must be fully decocked at the start signal. If a decocking lever is installed and used, the term fully decocked is the position where the hammer rests once the decocking lever has been used.  Altering a factory installed decocker to bring the hammer to rest at less than a half-cocked position is not allowed.

Edited by GeneBray
Reformatted for readability

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, waktasz said:

When has this not been allowed?

I don't know? I thought perhaps all guns had to have fully hammer down even if decocker? So ones that lower to half notch like CZ had to do something different unlike IDPA which allows you to run off whatever decocker sets to?

Honestly, I don't know if that's a change or a thing in USPSA. It seems weird to think that a decocker gun would have to manually lower to fully hammer down but weirder things have happened in USPSA rules.

@waktasz

On the off chance I misread your tone and it wasn’t a petulant rhetorical comment. 

I mis-stated. I have read the rules. But that’s not really what you meant. 

I haven’t STUDIED the rules that don’t apply to me. I’ve read them but haven’t studied them. 

It’s akin to reading laws as a layperson versus studying them as a lawyer. 

I missed the “or” word in the decocker rules and didn’t understand the definition of manually decocking. 

So why post? To understand and clarify why the rule was changed. 

It’s like that with IDPA rules. I’ve read them but IANAL and appreciate the rule interpretations and discussions on the FB forum. 

There are similarly unhelpful people there that you can count on to say “read the rules” no matter the discussion while others try and help. 

I hope to gain enough knowledge of the application of the rules that someday I’ll sit for the RO class. 

Reading the rules sometimes isn’t enough, but that’s not really what you meant I suspect. 

Maybe you had a hard day or something. 

Hope today is better for you!

Edited by -JCN-

8 hours ago, -JCN- said:

I hope to gain enough knowledge of the application of the rules that someday I’ll sit for the RO class. 

In all honesty, cart and horse ... Take the RO course as soon as you can manage to.  That's the place you'll actually learn the rules and how to apply them.

8 hours ago, -JCN- said:

@waktasz

On the off chance I misread your tone and it wasn’t a petulant rhetorical comment. 

I mis-stated. I have read the rules. But that’s not really what you meant. 

I haven’t STUDIED the rules that don’t apply to me. I’ve read them but haven’t studied them. 

It’s akin to reading laws as a layperson versus studying them as a lawyer. 

I missed the “or” word in the decocker rules and didn’t understand the definition of manually decocking. 

So why post? To understand and clarify why the rule was changed. 

It’s like that with IDPA rules. I’ve read them but IANAL and appreciate the rule interpretations and discussions on the FB forum. 

There are similarly unhelpful people there that you can count on to say “read the rules” no matter the discussion while others try and help. 

Reading the rules sometimes isn’t enough, but that’s not really what you meant I suspect. 

Maybe you had a hard day or something. 

Hope today is better for you!

So many things to say but I won't because you probably wouldn't even understand it.

The word decocker appears only a few times in the rulebook. Ctrl+F to find it

" A hammer is considered to be in the "hammer down" position when the hammer is placed 
there by pulling the trigger while manually lowering the hammer (manually decocking) 
or by activating the decocking lever if present"

5 hours ago, Schutzenmeister said:

In all honesty, cart and horse ... Take the RO course as soon as you can manage to.  That's the place you'll actually learn the rules and how to apply them.

Thanks for that! I’m signed up this Winter to take it. 

I kind of wanted to get my feet wet in the sport a little so it would make more sense for me.