Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safety table

dmshozer1

I've had ROs warn me that I was close to the 180 but always after the stage is clear. Never had one warn me as I was shooting the stage, as far as possibly impacting stage performance 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm kinda in the call it or shut up camp if its an after the fact type thing. To me thats not a warning, its a blow hard flapping gums.
 Heard to many,, "well in a real match.... blah blah blah..." although its usually a scoring or penalty issue vs a safety.
Generally a safety warning is a warning as its happening to prevent it from happening,,, not an after the fact...

Well I'm more in the call it or shut up camp during the stage. When the stage is over I see no harm in warning a shooter he was getting close to the 180 or something else as long as the RO is trying to be helpful and not being an a hole about it. Some shooters would welcome it and others would prefer to hear nothing. A warning after the fact will not confuse the shooter while still shooting the stage. Less disruptive. 

Since we are opening a can of worms, here's a question. What's the purpose of the rule 8.6.1 and when should it be used? 

8.6.1 No assistance of any kind can be given to a competitor during a course of fire, except that any Range Officer  assigned to a stage may issue safety warnings to a competitor at any time. Such warnings will not be grounds for the competitor to be awarded a reshoot.

As I said, for me, a warning during the stage could be confusing but is not grounds for a reshoot. I'd prefer that only the allowed range commands be used during the shooting. Is it really allowed to warn "getting close to the 180" during the course of fire? After seems better to me.

4 minutes ago, IVC said:

Understood, but how do you see the role of 8.6.1? Should it be removed from the rules? 

Rules infractions should be called and enforced but I'd eliminate giving warnings during the course of fire. So yes.

2 minutes ago, MHicks said:

Rules infractions should be called and enforced but I'd eliminate giving warnings during the course of fire. So yes.

Yeh I am a bit at a loss to think of a situation that would warrant a during COF safety warning, that shouldnt be handled by a STOP and then either a DQ or reshoot.  I guess unless its a really new shooter  , like between strings in SC outer limits.
And after the fact ?  I dunno whats the point of telling someone they were close on a 180 when they wont ever shoot that stage again ?

16 hours ago, IVC said:

Understood, but how do you see the role of 8.6.1? Should it be removed from the rules? 

I think it should be limited to Level 1 matches. L2+ you should know what you are doing and a lot of top competitors ride the line and I doubt they want the warnings from an over eager RO. 

Personally I consider giving warnings to be coaching so I don't do it at L2+. L1 for those that I know are newer shooters, i may issue a "finger' or "muzzle" warning. L2+ be 100% sure and call it, or shut up.