Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alchin mount not square.

Joe4d

Is it just me ? Did I get a bad mount or a bad gun ?
When I give the sight mounting screws the final snug down the mount I get a port list on my 617.. Probably not enough to affect much it just looks even more off when I add the optic. I took a stone to just the corners of the mount and gun to make shure it was a sharp corner burr or anythign,, 
Anyone else have this issue ?

Joe

i only have one allchin mount. It required a fair amount of adjustment to get it to fit properly. Dykem is your friend for such things. 

In my case i assess it was just a case of tolerance stacking. These things happen from time to time. 

• 3 weeks later...

follow up. I put the alchin on my new 627 with an FTP optic, (once I got the correct screws as FTP seems to be only optic on market that doesnt include mounting screws) looks decent... I put an LPA rear sight with the slot of a rail mount style... on the 617 and it seemd to mount up fine and look level. As mentioned above tolerance stacking I guess

Don't discount the sight being off square or level too, I have encountered this even with CMores.  Never assume the gun, barrel, mount, optic, etc.  are straight, level, or aligned. Speaking from experience here. 

Edited by Alaskan454

10 hours ago, Alaskan454 said:

Don't discount the sight being off square or level too, I have encountered this even with CMores.  Never assume the gun, barrel, mount, optic, etc.  are straight, level, or aligned. Speaking from experience here. 

In this case  I suspect combo of mount and 617,, as I could visible watch the mount list while I snugged the screws, for what ever reason it didnt do this on the 627, nor did the LPA sight have a problem on the 617

14 hours ago, Alaskan454 said:

^^2X. Have seen rifles so crooked it makes you crazy. 

will probably get another LPA sight mount for the 627.  I really like this set up and the 627 has those speed bayonet style front sights I dont have to drill. Shoulda got the rail plate with the FTP,,, maybe I can get them to send me one to make up for not having screws.  With the LPA set up you can Zero and basically have BUIS and pull the optic if it takes a dump on you.  
I have a Burris FFIV sitting here but my open gun project will only take a Burris or Venom

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Warrior75 said:

I did not have much luck with an Alchin mount on my 627. Ran out of adjustment with the red dot. Got a less than great answer from their cs department.  Went with an EGW. No issues with it.

I was able to zero on the 617 with a venom it just looked funky... Put it on a 627 with an FTS optic and did have to do some cranking to zero,, but still had plenty left,, and it looks fine.. Go figure. Stacked tolerances I guess.
That being said once I get a FTP to  rail adapter I am going to go with the LPA rear combo sight/rail... I put that on the 617 with the Vortex as it came with a mount. Just got one in for the 627.  Mount is nice with the benifit, you can zero the irons,, then put on the optic,, if you ever have an optic die on you it can save a match just one screw pulls it off and you have zeroed irons underneeth.

• 6 months later...

follow up,.. I installed the LPA rear sight that has a built in rail cut on the 617... and sure as snot with the bigger ears of the rear it has a list.. Guess it is mainly the gun frame isnt quite rear... Its like once I have seen it I cant unsee.
On the 4" 617 I had to go with a .215 Dawson front to zero, with about 2 clicks up.. Dont have an optic on it at the moment.
My Viper died and I took the venom off the 617 while I was messing with irons and put on my 22/45 as I thought I was gonna shoot a steel match this weekend.. Then decided on USPSA an hour closer,, but then its gonna be rainy and 45 mph winds,,, so no thanks.. Oh well maybe next time