Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ken Tapp - We Lost Another Great Shooter

CARVER_Custom

I regret to inform the shooting sports community that my partner in shooting from 1980 until the present, passed away this morning.  Ken will always be remembered for his dry humor, speed shooting with an auto, revolver, shotgun or rifle in events like Second Chance, Bianchi, Steel Challenge, SOF, Masters, USPSA and local clubs from Kentucky across the midwest.  If you knew him, you will have a story to tell because he was a true southern gentleman and mentored many shooters including me.  Though we were competitors against each other, we successfully pushed each other until I had to stop shooting and traveling with Ken due to an injury that forced me to heal.  Ken lost his wife of 50+ years a few years ago and was living with his beloved grandaughter and her family in Washington state when he passed this morning.  Please keep his family in your prayers as they mourn his passing.

RIP to a true gentleman.  Conversations with Ken were always easy and informative.  He was willing to help anyone who asked, which is the definition of a true ambassador of the shooting sports.

Ken and Irene would stay for several months at a time at my parent's range in northern Indiana.  First it was to prep for the Indiana AP State match and Bianchi Cup and then it became all summer.  I remember Ken just being humble and trying to help out where he could.  He started out as just a quiet guy, then we would talk and shoot for hours.  He gave me my first scope mount for my race gun, couldn't wait for Ray Saltzman to mount it.  When I started shooting as fast as Ken, he would say "I think I need that mount back" and just grin at me.  The Bianchi Cup team from England would show up and just have a blast with Ken on the range.  Simple good times.  Goodbye my friend, thanks for all the lessons and stories.

Edited by Reinholt
typo

I recall seeing him on "pistol masters" a video made on speed / steel Challenge. Im guessing this video was made in the 90's? Either way I recall Mr. Tapp having a very strong draw and competing with guys 20 + years younger and being very competitive. Sad to see another great one go. 

I had the pleasure of knowing him back in the late 1990's into the early 2000's.  One heck of a gentleman as well as a tough outdoorsman.  He definately could shoot.  I remember him telling a story about trapping in Alaska.  Said when times got tough they would put wolf on the dinner table.  Definitely not good fare he reported.  He will be missed.

• 10 months later...

I am Ken Tapp's niece and wanted to thank you for your kind words for my uncle. It's still hard knowing that he is gone but he sure did leave some great memories and stories before he died. It is very touching to me that he has not been forgotten by those he knew outside of the family. I hope this message finds you all well. Sending warm regards from Kentucky.

Laryn A. Tapp

• 4 weeks later...

First of all, Rest in peace to Mr.Tapp and my thoughts are with his family, Ken is STILL making the pins pay in the best range in the universe with the big man JMB himself now.... Sad that a lot of our old school legends are dropping or on the edge of it... I am a young kid myself but I got into 1911/2011s because of people like Jim Clark sr, Armand Swenson, Bob Chow, Chip Mccormick, Kenn Tapp,  J Michael Plaxco, and plenty more legends im forgetting.