Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light duty 9mm loads

Squirrel45

So iv been playing playing with N310. Conclusion is that it doesn't have as much energy as Competition. I do find it soft shooting though and accurate. Has anyone tried E3? Seems like the last of the fast burners that I haven't tried.

On 6/19/2023 at 9:01 PM, Farmer said:

E3 is really clean and accurate too, it’s just kinda flaky and doesn’t go through some powder measure’s very well at low chg weights. I usually run 3.2 for 125’s, 2.8 for 147’s for 130 Pf. 

In a previous post. The other thing I like about it is that it doesn’t spike like Clays does. I just notice that accuracy falls off when it’s too hot. 

Edited by Farmer

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/24/2023 at 1:41 PM, Squirrel45 said:

So iv been playing playing with N310. Conclusion is that it doesn't have as much energy as Competition. I do find it soft shooting though and accurate. Has anyone tried E3? Seems like the last of the fast burners that I haven't tried.

Squirrel, would N320 be a better option for your 9mm? It’s very close to N310 and may give you just enough energy to get you back to the way Ram Comp felt like, and it’s absolutely clean in comparison to most… it’s the cleanest burning powder along with Sport pistol. 
I have been using a lot of it lately, and have become very fond of it…. Tons of load data available too… I go between Sport Pistol and N320 and honestly they almost have identical load data between them give or take .1 grain. 

On 7/10/2023 at 6:41 PM, Leezway said:

Squirrel, would N320 be a better option for your 9mm? It’s very close to N310 and may give you just enough energy to get you back to the way Ram Comp felt like, and it’s absolutely clean in comparison to most… it’s the cleanest burning powder along with Sport pistol. 
I have been using a lot of it lately, and have become very fond of it…. Tons of load data available too… I go between Sport Pistol and N320 and honestly they almost have identical load data between them give or take .1 grain. 

That's on my list. A friend of mine has some going to give that a go next. Good seeing you the other weekend 

On 6/13/2023 at 10:25 PM, Squirrel45 said:

Hi guys 

Im just about out of 8#s of ramshot competition that I have used in 9mm with 100g projectiles. I was wondering if anyone has used N310 or titewad  for light 9s. These loads do not need to make pf. 

Thanks 

I have used N310 with 125 coated lead. 3.3 gets about 950 fps, 3.5 gets about 1050 fps. My 5-inch M&P CORE handles both, but some other guns I've tried it in won't eject it reliably.

I really don't want to throw another wrench in the works but I was using Sport Pistol and had good results.  But I switched back to Clays and it was like night and day.  Clays is soft, always has been.  Since I'm not loading to a PF it works great and I'm not worried about spiking.  It's flaky so I know if I over or under charge a round.  If the case is around 1/2 full then I know I'm right in the 3.0gr. world.

image.thumb.png.4b35f6c4d5e66619e0ab3b26aaae4091.png

1 hour ago, bigdawgbeav said:

I really don't want to throw another wrench in the works but I was using Sport Pistol and had good results.  But I switched back to Clays and it was like night and day.  Clays is soft, always has been.  Since I'm not loading to a PF it works great and I'm not worried about spiking.  It's flaky so I know if I over or under charge a round.  If the case is around 1/2 full then I know I'm right in the 3.0gr. world.

image.thumb.png.4b35f6c4d5e66619e0ab3b26aaae4091.png

I wish they were still making clays. A friend of mine called hodgdon a few months back and was told it's currently out of production. I have used it in the past for soft 45 loads with pleasant results. I have heard clay dot is pretty close might try that one.

21 hours ago, Squirrel45 said:

I wish they were still making clays. A friend of mine called hodgdon a few months back and was told it's currently out of production. I have used it in the past for soft 45 loads with pleasant results. I have heard clay dot is pretty close might try that one.

That is correct... ClayDot is almost exactly the same.  @zzt uses this for his light loads.  I was not aware that hodgdon's stopped making Clays.  That sucks then.  Glad I still have around 6lbs left.

ADI in Australia makes CLAYS.  They had a big military contract so secondary market suffers.  CLAYDOT is almost identical so at least there is that option.

As stated earlier, 310 has a linear pressure curve vs. CLAYS/CLAYDOT.  One thing not mentioned is that most smaller bullet weight loads (115) are not very accurate using 310/CLAYS.  You can get much better accuracy with 320/231 speed powders with the same bullets.  It just depends on what your accuracy requirements are. 

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, Squirrel45 said:

Just got a hold of e3. So far I am liking this powder. Takes about .4-.6g less to reach the same velocity as my n310 load.

Yep, it gives good velocity with light loads and shoots soft. Pretty clean too. Might get some light soot at low loadings but I haven’t found any unburnt flakes. 

2 hours ago, Farmer said:

Yep, it gives good velocity with light loads and shoots soft. Pretty clean too. Might get some light soot at low loadings but I haven’t found any unburnt flakes. 

Yup, no unburnt furbys in the chamber or receiver. N310 was giving me some due to I was below load listing. But if e3 data I'm sure I'd be below that too.