Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry & Limited Optic ... Sight placement

RippSpeed

Carry & Limited Optic competitors. Is red dot placement on the slide important ???

Ive seen sights placed; as close to the ejection port as possible and I've seen then set back all the way to rear of the slide.

Where do you have yours and why ??? Hows the dot tracking ???

I don't really think it matters, I've had guns setup both ways. 

In theory maybe farther back empty brass is less likely to hit the optic and bounce back in. But, a well setup gun that shouldn't happen. Back farther might not get as dirty, again not really a big deal. 

1 hour ago, Racinready300ex said:

I don't really think it matters, I've had guns setup both ways. 

In theory maybe farther back empty brass is less likely to hit the optic and bounce back in. But, a well setup gun that shouldn't happen. Back farther might not get as dirty, again not really a big deal. 

So there no difference between forward and rear in dot movement or dot tracking ???

1 minute ago, RippSpeed said:

So there no difference between forward and rear in dot movement or dot tracking ???

Not that I could notice.

There is probably some difference, but I can't imagine it effecting the outcome of your match at all.

The way I see it, the dot's moving two or three inches both ways every shot, how much is another quarter inch one way or the other going to matter?

You get a slightly bigger 'effective window' with the dot closer to you but that's about it.  FWIW, Chris Tilley did some experimenting with very-rearward-mounted dots on his Open guns but didn't stick with it.

Your only talking about 1/2" at most in difference possible, there just isn't that much real-estate back there and when your holding it 24" from your face that 1/2" is meaningless.

I have milled a bunch of slides for various dots and the biggest driver has always been what material I have to work with.

That said I normally go for as far back as will fit, not scientific but I figure the further from the explosion in the chamber the better and lower likelihood of brass hitting it.

If given a choice I'd choose the the rear. I've seen SRO's with brass jammed between the sight and the chamber, of course the lean forward a lot. The most common thing I see is crap all over the front of the glass, especially with LCI notches on the barrel.  

When I moved to CO, I bought a P320 MAX.  And one of the big selling points for me was the slide was bare of any fixed sights; and the optic was set to the rear.

With my new LOC pistol, I stipulated NO iron sights and the optic plate for my SRO as far to the rear as possible.  I too wanted the front of the SRO as far behind the breechface as possible.

This is the Accuracy X sight Multi-Sight system.

Display03.png

If possible I prefer my optic as far back as possible. I’m also a fan of irons forward (if you find them necessary) for a few reasons. That being said, I have slides that are cut really low (zev duty slide for example) and when paired with an SRO, the glass get pretty dirty after a relatively low round count session (2-300 rounds). Nothing a cheap lens pen can’t fix but I’ve noticed that if my optic is further back I don’t have to clean it nearly as frequently. tracking the dot makes no difference in either position in my experience.