Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stopping the Powder Drop Pop Blues.......

I've had my Dillon Super 1050 for a couple of years and last year I bought a Mark7 auto drive. In trying to work through the powder funnel pop it was driving me crazy. I tried polishing the Mr. Bulletfeeder powder drop and it helped a little. The big problem was the Torque Sense tripping every time I loaded a round. So I turned the TS off and I had to turn up my Digital Clutch sometimes up to level 6 just to get the press to run. If I had a jam sometimes I would damage the shell plate due to the torque being placed on it. Read a post from years ago that said to use a Lyman 'M" die to flair the case mouth then you can use the original Dillon powder funnel. Yesterday I got the M die from amazon and decided Its time to test this out. 

Night and day difference. Torque Sense turned on, digital clutch at 1, M die over the swage station and Dillons powder funnel at powder drop. Smooth like it's supposed to be. No pop or bang and now I can run the auto drive the way it was meant to be run. Mark7 says that you need to turn off the Torque Sense if your having trouble getting the Mr. Bulletfeeder powder drop to work. I'd rather have the TS turned on to help protect my press and parts.

I do process my brass completely prior to loading so I don't lube my brass. 

I lube processed brass anyway.  Huge difference in reducing the 'pop' and with One Shot there's no need to clean it off.

Also fiddling with the Backup Swage Rod in the 1050 can help with pop out like the M-die but less so.

Also using fully pre-process brass.......

Before adding the Apex 10, I was using one of these in Station #3 on my manual RL1100:

https://fastandfriendlybrass.com/product/ffb-swage-backup-case-mouth-expanding-rod-f-9mm-38-super/

IMO, it provides an excellent, precision expander that still allows hold down for shell plate stabilization.  

I still used a fully polished MBF style funnel/expander at the powder drop as I never could get MBF bullet drop stabilization when using the Dillon expander.  I'm also using my Dillon powder measure w/ MBF funnel on the M7!

Clear view of the difference............

I also feel ANY reloading press will benefit from using a premium case lube.  Much smoother operation and consistency of ammo.

MBF Dillon Comparison.png

I'm not on Facebook or any of the other data grabbers. The way my automated 1050 is working like I always thought it should work. Just wanted to share that I got rid of the Powder Drop Blues.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The M die won't hold the brass down the way Dillon neck expander does over the swage station. Did you modify anything, or you're just letting the swager work against the shell plate? 

This is an age old dilemma - missing threads over priming station eliminating one position, and the swage station either needing a backer or a soft touch running the press to prevent damage from ringers. 

On 7/18/2023 at 4:53 PM, 99mpower said:

Lyman M die in the primer location, has helped almost reduce all powder pop issues. So much smoother loading 9mm at 1800rph

I assume you have an aftermarket toolhead to allow you to do this (if so, which one do you have)? Or is there a modified M die that will fit into the narrower opening of the original?

On 8/27/2023 at 2:09 PM, IVC said:

I assume you have an aftermarket toolhead to allow you to do this (if so, which one do you have)? Or is there a modified M die that will fit into the narrower opening of the original?

i run aftermarket toolheads for sure on my S1050. Cant remember exactly, but if you look up Fast Brass, should find them, or if you go to www.immortobot.com, they also carry aftermarket tool heads. DO NOT BUY ALUMINUM toolheads for a 1050/1100/2000. I know they have started to come out, and thats a terrible idea. 

On 8/27/2023 at 2:07 PM, IVC said:

The M die won't hold the brass down the way Dillon neck expander does over the swage station. Did you modify anything, or you're just letting the swager work against the shell plate? 

This is an age old dilemma - missing threads over priming station eliminating one position, and the swage station either needing a backer or a soft touch running the press to prevent damage from ringers. 

definitely run an FW Arms primer backing die. 

• 2 months later...