Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45* offset dot

rondog

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2023 at 8:50 AM, rondog said:

At what distance do any of y’all zero your 45* offset red dot?  

50/200 - I use the same zero as my scope.  (it's actually closer to 45/200 - I get a decent zero at 50 yards, then use a 200 yard target to confirm zero and do the final adjustment.)

I tried 25 yards when I first used an offset dot, then ended up with 2 problems on the clock:

1) I needed to do a proper "hold over" for a small target at about 7 yards.  During the walk through and on the clock my brain did a normal hold about 3" over the target. So the round ended up going high and hitting a no-shoot twice.

2) Had a situation where I needed to use the red dot for a target at 100 yards ... I held a little under just like I would have for my scope and missed.

So I switched the zero on my offset to be the same as my scope.  It's just better for me to not have to remember different holds for different sights.  Note that every "fast" shooter I spoke to had a 20 or 25 yard zero for their offset dot ... but it just doesn't work for me.  

• 2 weeks later...

I zero mine at 50 yards. I'll typically shoot it out to that distance on most targets, and out to 90-100 yards on full size targets. Reduced targets at ~90 yards or more I'll rotate to my magnified optics generally.