Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 MAX Factory Magwell - Carry Optics

I am shooting my first major match with my 320 Max this weekend.  The way I read the rule book Appendix D7 Carry Optics 22.3, which says no "No OFM or aftermarket external magwells".  I interpret this to mean I must remove the small additional metal piece that was on the gun from the factory to avoid being moved to Open, right?

Correct.  If you don't have a mag gauge(1) be sure to have chrono do a curtesy check.  Some 320 factory mags and some extensions don't fit the gauge!  

(1) If you don't have one they are less than $30.

You can always leave the magwell on it and shoot limited optics. The mags might still be an issue though

Edited to add: assuming the major you're going to allows limited optics

Edited by RJH

4 hours ago, Brazos SC Shooter said:

I am shooting my first major match with my 320 Max this weekend.  The way I read the rule book Appendix D7 Carry Optics 22.3, which says no "No OFM or aftermarket external magwells".  I interpret this to mean I must remove the small additional metal piece that was on the gun from the factory to avoid being moved to Open, right?

Correct.  If shooting CO, the factory MAX magwell must be removed.

I just put mine back on and going to shoot Limited Optics till my LO gun arrives!

👍

The 21 round mags I assume.  Not all of the mags pass automatically.  The most efficient way to fix the is smash the groves that fit into the base pad slightly.  Many have had luck doing this.  The other way is to file or sand the rear part of the feed lips ever so slightly.  The ones that fail barely fail, so the mags do not need much work to pass.  

If you use a file make sure it is a really fine file.  Do not remove more material than you need to.

Edited by Boomstick303

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2023 at 9:15 AM, Brazos SC Shooter said:

Thanks for the confirmation from everyone.  The match does have Limited Optics so I might just change my class when I check in.  I am not running mag extensions so I hope that works.

If you're using the 21 round mags they don't all fit the gauge. It's a matter of fractions of a millimeter but I have several and a few didn't quite rest on the back pads as required. The second pic below is an example that doesn't pass gauge and it's an OEM 21 round M18. This is using an official EGW gauge.

https://imgur.com/a/ZqhF4ap

• 11 months later...

This was from a post last year.

I want to buy a Sig MAX 9 for Carry Optics.  

I see that the magwell must be removed.  Question:  Is the magwell attached with set screws making it an easy process to take off and add back on?

If asked and answered, sorry.....I just didn't see it.

Thanks,

4 hours ago, Hoops said:

I see that the magwell must be removed.  Question:  Is the magwell attached with set screws making it an easy process to take off and add back on?

Thanks,

@Hoops

Just sold my MAXX here in the classifieds......

But to answer your question, yes there is a recessed set screw on the rear that allows easy magwell removal.

Good luck with your MAXX!

:)

1 hour ago, HOGRIDER said:

@Hoops

Just sold my MAXX here in the classifieds......

But to answer your question, yes there is a recessed set screw on the rear that allows easy magwell removal.

Good luck with your MAXX!

:)

Thank you.  

On 4/15/2024 at 1:46 PM, Hoops said:

Thanks,

As previously answered by Hogrider, it is pretty easy to take on and off.  Nationals had the provisional, now permanent  Limited Optics category, which doesn't require the removal of the magwell.  All things being equal, I prefer to leave it on and run in Limited Optics.

37 minutes ago, Brazos SC Shooter said:

As previously answered by Hogrider, it is pretty easy to take on and off.  Nationals had the provisional, now permanent  Limited Optics category, which doesn't require the removal of the magwell.  All things being equal, I prefer to leave it on and run in Limited Optics.

Thanks. 

my gun arrived yesterday.  Custom Works version.  Magwell was simple to take off.  Good combo gun…..CO, LO.

I’m waiting on my Gray Gun trigger kit.  But when I checked my trigger currently in the gun it’s right around….average….4.25 lbs.  a friend of mine got 2.5 lb with his Gray Gun kit.  

What are you guys with GG kit getting on trigger pull?

thanks