Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adding Ratchet to Double Alpha belt?

I’m finally getting back into 3-gun and looking at getting my gear squared away. I use a Double Alpha belt and want to add a ratchet setup to be able to tighten & loosen as needed. I plan to just cut my existing belt. My question is how to finish off the end that I cut & keep it from fraying?  What have you done & how well has it held up?

I also read about cutting the inner belt so that it doesn’t bunch up when the outer is tightened. For those that did that, did you just leave a gap?

Any other other recommendations regarding the belt? 

I did exactly this over three years ago to my Double Alpha belt. I hit the ends with a lighter. The synthetic material melts and prevents fraying. Three years of matches and 3 to 4 days of dryfire a week. It has help up completely fine with no fraying. 

Best belt upgrade I've made. 

Sorry,  didn't read your entire post. No need to cut the inner belt. At least for me that hasn't been an issue. You're already on the rught track. I cut it so that when tightened all the way down there is still a gap. 

Cut mine and hit it with the torch. Holding up fine. 

The inner belt bunching up is a bit of a hassle… but I’m not sure about modding the inner. I just get it as tight as possible and deal with the minor bunching.  

16 hours ago, Dirty_J said:

Cut mine and hit it with the torch. Holding up fine. 

The inner belt bunching up is a bit of a hassle… but I’m not sure about modding the inner. I just get it as tight as possible and deal with the minor bunching.  

I use an M2inc ratchet also. It works great. To fix the bunching issue, I cut my inner belt and attached a flexible piece of fishing rod strap (like seat belt material) to it. I position the flexible part where the ratchet strap in the outer belt is and then it just folds and doesn't bother me.

On 4/18/2023 at 9:02 AM, HRider said:

I use an M2inc ratchet also. It works great. To fix the bunching issue, I cut my inner belt and attached a flexible piece of fishing rod strap (like seat belt material) to it. I position the flexible part where the ratchet strap in the outer belt is and then it just folds and doesn't bother me.

I just read a suggestion to put the inner belt on with the Velcro not securing the belt to itself. That way the inner belt can slide underneath itself. That way the inner belt serves to attach the outer thru the belt loops but not tighten to the person. The ratcheting outer belt makes everything tight to the body. (I hope I explained that clearly). I think I’ll yay that method first.