Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glocks-why?

Al Capizzo

I am entirely new to Glock handguns. I've been shooting Govt. model type guns in USPSA competition since about 1911, but I've just bought my first Glock (Model 22). I'm planning on shooting Limited with this gun. But I was wondering if there is actually any advantages to shooting a Glock in competition? They're sorta popular, but only sort of.  I'm hoping those of you who've been competing with them for some time can tell me "Glocks are better or as good as SV's or STI because..."

Thanks,

Al

The Glock is the *perfect* starter gun for IPSC/USPSA.  Why?

It's simple, relatively inexpensive, and it works.  All you really have to focus on is the shooting - which is a *very* good thing.  Will a Glock ever win Open?  Probably not.  But don't let that discourage you from  the Glock's many virtues.

E

I am with EricW,

The first year i shot IPSC (standard division) i used the model 34. This (second) year i started with the model 35 and once i got used to the change i caliber got some good results. Here in the netherlands i know some good shooters that  started with the glock.

It's not likely that the glock win Open ever but in Standard Division, why not!

Adrie

I won't try to convince anyone the Glock is better than a S_I, but the Glock advantages would be weight, price, operational simplicity, reliability without major investments in mag tuning, etc.  If the above are none issues, the S_I is probably the better choice.

You don't often see a shooter go from a 1911 to a Glock! Cool!!...:)

I'm prone to thinking that because of Glocks design, they allow the shooter to better control recoil because of the polymer frame and very low bore axis.

If you can get you mags to drop 100% of the time and get that trigger down to a crisp 2.5# short travel pull, you will have a formidable tool for the games we play.

i started with para back in 95,spent a ton of money to get all the goodys. shoot the 96 nationals with it on the same squad with armando valdes he kicked a$$ with his glock 24. and was hell of a nice guy to boot, gave alot of advice to a newbie(me) went home and got me a 24 too and haven't looked back.

it works great when i feed it good ammo

has less muzzel rise

it's just less likely to break parts than 1911's i want to shoot not be a gunsmith.

it got me to A class so it can't all be bad.

Thanks for the responses, esp. TDean. Thats what I was looking for.  I haven't fired a round out of this gun yet and haven't fired anyone else's Glock in a long time.  I'm looking forward to learning some new things with this gun.

• 2 weeks later...

I shot USPSA with 1911s for a decade. Must have owned about ten of them in that time - and spent beau coups $$$ setting them up and to keep them running. Bought my first G17 the year after they hit the U.S. market. Today I have NO 1911s but I own eleven Glocks. I use them for CCW, plinking, home defense, trail guns, bowling pin shooting and USPSA. Some are pure stock and others have been radically modified.

The nice thing about a Glock that they are always 110% reliable out of the box and cost about 1/3 what a 1911 does to "customize" for serious competition.

(Edited by Krag at 5:54 pm on Oct. 28, 2002)

Hey, you guys stop picking on my po-widdle Gwock!

FYI, it worked well for 2 matches this weekend one of which I had the pleasure of squadding with Travis and his dad.  There's no doubt where TT gets his raw skill from.

When you guys talk about short, crisp 2.5# trigger pulls on glocks am I picturing this correctly: "trigger tweaked back such that it is already loading the striker spring near full compression"?  Which means at this point the trigger bar ear (?) is near (if not out) of the safety shelf and the firing pin saftey is almost disengaged/fully depressed? Thanks.

McOliver - we have a Glocksmith in my area who uses the following parts to produce a trigger that breaks at a 2-2.25 lbs.:

1. LSPI competition trigger

2.   "  titanium striker

3.   "     "     safety plunger

4. Wolf 10% reduced striker spring

5. Glock 3.5 lbs. connector

He modifies the trigger and installs an internal trigger stop that does away with most of the take up and all of the overtravel. It's about as close to a 1911 trigger as I've ever felt. The striker is not "loaded" and ALL the safeties work 100%.

If you want to contact me I'll be happy to tell you how to get in touch with him.

(Edited by Krag at 5:30 am on Oct. 29, 2002)

Why Glock's? Why not.

This weekend we shot a qualifier in your region.

Guess what, the only 2 competing G35 shooters won 2 stages.

1 speedshoot

1 fieldcourse (with popper and 2 targets to be shot at 50 yards)

Maybe this post should be moved to "bragging rights" forum because i won the speedshoot and my buddy the fieldcourse. And yes we were proud

DVC

Adrie

It's not "precompressing" the striker or anything like that, it's just a matter of lowering the resistance when you pull the trigger and compress the striker spring, as well as allowing the striker to release from the trigger bar earlier.  Once you get the striker to release early with enough force to reliably ignite Federal primers, install a stop.  There's no reason to have more rearward trigger movement after the striker is released.

Quote: from TDean on 9:24 am on Oct. 29, 2002

It's not "precompressing" the striker or anything like that, it's just a matter of lowering the resistance when you pull the trigger and compress the striker spring, as well as allowing the striker to release from the trigger bar earlier.  Once you get the striker to release early with enough force to reliably ignite Federal primers, install a stop.  There's no reason to have more rearward trigger movement after the striker is released.

Thanks, TDean. Somehow I got this notion that the striker HAD to be fully pulled back to the rear for reliable ignition...duh!

---------

Krag, thanks for the offer.  My location, however, makes it difficult for me to take it.  Besides I only have one glock so far and it's primary responsibility is for personal protection.  Be safe.

• 2 weeks later...

Strike 1: I shoot a G21---wrong caliber!!!

Strike 2: Wrong gun---not a 1911 (so they say)!

I have a ball with it and it's gotten me to

A-Class so far.  And it ALWAYS works.  

I see too many $2500 1911's choke and puke.

I like what I shoot and I shoot what I like!!!!!!!

Also....the .45 is SOOOOOOO forgiving!!!!!!