Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack Open Gun for Steel Challenge

JBaldridge

A cone-comp can be done on the existing barrel-- it's lathe threading work and a bit of gunsmithing the muzzle-end slide fit.  Somewhat lighter than fitting a threaded bull barrel and probably about the same $ depending who does it, but less options in the comp.

Briley does their steel guns with a threaded bushing barrel with a comp on the end.  Lighter than either of the above but the bushing is trapped unless you unscrew the comp.  Not a huge downside; I have one they did years ago with one of their spherical bushings and it lasted through many thousands of rounds of 9x25 Dillon.

On 4/17/2023 at 6:20 AM, Bamboo said:

i used to see more repurposed open guns from the single stack days of USPSA but not so much any more.  I think the old folks are aging out and when the guns get passed on people don't know what they are or even consider them worthwhile.

Anyway, here is a thread about the same topic where i shared my old .38 super single stack open gun conversion to 9mm steel challenge gun.  It was a cool old iron sight open .38 super and I made master with that gun.  Couldn't get rid of it, but did repurpose it.   

I don't shoot a lot of steel challenge these days but my daughter is getting interested in shooting steel and am thinking this would be a great open gun to pass to her.  Gun runs great, and I just use a gamer 115-124gr 9mm load that is probably sub minor...or barely minor.   

BTW - EGW has some good cone and threaded comps for projects like this and the prices are very fair. 

Good  Luck with your build project! 

Who converted your 38 super to 9mm? How's it working out ? I might have the same project as you. I have a 1911 38 super laying around that I want converted. A lot of smiths didn't want to do it. 

19 hours ago, STELLARTONE said:

Who converted your 38 super to 9mm? How's it working out ? I might have the same project as you. I have a 1911 38 super laying around that I want converted. A lot of smiths didn't want to do it. 

It's just a re-barrel job. 

The breechface is the same; extractor MIGHT need to be changed.  That depends on the tension that the originally-installed extractor will exert on a 9mm case.

• 7 months later...

I'm kinda of the opinion that you don't really need a comp to shoot steel challenge, for two reasons.  First, unless you're at the GM level on Showdown or Roundabout you're probably not doing fast double taps in steel challenge so there's plenty of time for the barrel to settle back down between one plate and the next.  Ditto for a slide mounted dot using the dove tail mount - your eyes should be moving to the next plate while the slide is reciprocating so the dot moving with the slide shouldn't be a problem.  Second, if you optimize your rounds for steel challenge you'll use 147 or 165 gr bullets with the minimum amount of powder to cycle the slide.  Put a 7lb (or less) recoil spring in the gun, lighten the trigger main spring, bevel the firing pin stop to allow the hammer to move back to full cock with less force, etc., and run a power factor of less than 100.  As long as the slide cycles reliably and the spent case dribbles clear you're good to go and the gun will be very soft shooting.  Initially I'd spend my time/money getting the a dot slide mounted, loading up some ultra low PF ammo and playing with light recoil springs.  Give it a try.  If you get good enough that you're out shooting your gun then you can always add the threaded barrel/comp and/or a frame mounted dot later if you find you need it.  Just my two cents worth, and maybe that's all it's worth!

• 2 weeks later...

BBB2a.thumb.jpg.e915bf39746bfc3f430f30d2756d1584.jpgCCC7a.thumb.jpg.45d31945bc57c1b1a0649ea3106bb50e.jpgTwo of my old steel guns that I gave to my son & daughter. Both still shoot amazingly accurate and light. Blue is a Caspian

aluminum frame & ultra light slide in 9x21.  Pink is a Springfield Armory with a lightened slide in 38 super. Both shoot great

with light loads. 

Edited by TJSTI
too large